Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limiting wireless speed

Options
  • 26-11-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hey, i've been trying to limit my wireless speed as i play online games and my house mates are constantly downloading while i am doing so.

i have a netgear DGND3700v2 but i can find any setting which allows me to do, so i think it may not have the option.

is it possible to maybe limit their laptops through their mac address or do i need to just buy a modem which provides this feature.

they aren't very computer savvy so they never know whats going on if i limit them to like 200kbps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    hey, i've been trying to limit my wireless speed as i play online games and my house mates are constantly downloading while i am doing so.

i have a netgear DGND3700v2 but i can find any setting which allows me to do, so i think it may not have the option.

is it possible to maybe limit their laptops through their mac address or do i need to just buy a modem which provides this feature.

they aren't very computer savvy so they never know whats going on if i limit them to like 200kbps.

Quality of service (QOS) is what you're looking for, not sure how good it is on that router or what options are available. Google the "qos DGND3700v2"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All you need to do is set it to Wireless b/g only. No wireless N. Then their wifi throughput will be low enough not to screw you over. Its called "mode:" (up to 300, 150, 54) on my WNDR3800.

The other thing is though if they torrent, then its their seeding that F'cks you, you'd need QoS or rate limits to sort that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    All you need to do is set it to Wireless b/g only. No wireless N. Then their wifi throughput will be low enough not to screw you over. Its called "mode:" (up to 300, 150, 54) on my WNDR3800.

Thats not how wireless works. Changing to G simply lowers the overall bandwidth and makes it more likely the access point will be congested. Although a single active G only device on the network does that anyway. Plus you remove the option of using the 5ghz radio for bonded access(alleviating the 2.4ghz band)
    ED E wrote: »
    The other thing is though if they torrent, then its their seeding that F'cks you, you'd need QoS or rate limits to sort that.

QOS doesn't really make any difference to wireless since its a half duplex shared enviroment, it will only affect traffic on the WAN interface.

The best option in this case is to either wire up, use a tech like powerline or buy a second AP, create a second network and use it on a non-competing frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Would depend on the router you have, the average home router wouldnt give you that granular control of clients on a network - Mikrotik RouterBoard RB951Ui-2HnD is one such router that you can - you can create ACL (Access Control Lists) that allow you to set upload and download via their mac address very handy

Advertisement