Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonder Woman (2017)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Chris Pine to star as Steve Trevor. Reports also that filming begins this fall in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rumour: The studio and director want Sean Bean as Greek deity Ares and Eva Green as Circe Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Nice on both counts. Hopefully it's accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The writing in this thing is going to have to be absolutely top notch. Everything is riding on that. Because, frankly, Wonder Woman is an absolutely shite superhero character.

I'll qualify my interest in saying that I think there are only two superheroes worth any kind of salt, Batman and Superman and that's really it. All of the others come a distant second, with the exception of Iron Man, possibly.

But, Wonder Woman is just waaaay too far into camp territory that she's completely unsuited to any media outside of a 1940's comic and I really don't know how the writers are going to pull it off. With the (quite unreasonable) reaction from some quarters of comic book fandom to the 'Man of Steel' version of Superman, I can't see them going for the utra-straight, 'Nolanesque', type of superhero story here. But, the inclusion of the lighter elements of Wonder Woman will prove problematic, to say the least...cough...invisible plane...cough...Golden Lasso of Truth...cough.

This film has got to have a completely engaging and compelling story, because I'm hard pressed to think of a good Wonder Woman story from the comics. Not that I've read every single one mind you, but even as a relative outsider, I cannot think of one that stands out. Certainly there's no well known classics like Year One, Arkham Asylum or The Killing Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

I was actually hoping Paula Patton would get the part of Wonder Woman i think she would have been perfect the right amount of beauty and braun, i actually enjoyed the 2009 animated film so i will be really looking forward to this.

I hope they go all in and give it the full works, i want the whole mythology of the Amazons their island their gods the whole works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

This will be so bad, it might be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Tony EH wrote: »
    The writing in this thing is going to have to be absolutely top notch. Everything is riding on that. Because, frankly, Wonder Woman is an absolutely shite superhero character.

I'll qualify my interest in saying that I think there are only two superheroes worth any kind of salt, Batman and Superman and that's really it. All of the others come a distant second, with the exception of Iron Man, possibly.

But, Wonder Woman is just waaaay too far into camp territory that she's completely unsuited to any media outside of a 1940's comic and I really don't know how the writers are going to pull it off. With the (quite unreasonable) reaction from some quarters of comic book fandom to the 'Man of Steel' version of Superman, I can't see them going for the utra-straight, 'Nolanesque', type of superhero story here. But, the inclusion of the lighter elements of Wonder Woman will prove problematic, to say the least...cough...invisible plane...cough...Golden Lasso of Truth...cough.

This film has got to have a completely engaging and compelling story, because I'm hard pressed to think of a good Wonder Woman story from the comics. Not that I've read every single one mind you, but even as a relative outsider, I cannot think of one that stands out. Certainly there's no well known classics like Year One, Arkham Asylum or The Killing Joke.

Plenty of iconic WW storylines. While your entitled to your opinion on the character I'd like to point out your wrong.

Some reading material:

Spirit of truth
    Challenge of the gods
    Paradise Lost
    The Circle
    The Hiketeia
    Eyes of the Gorgon
    Azzerllos run

Nicole Kidman now in talks could be for the role Cate Blanchett passed maybe Queen Hippolyta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Nicole Kidman now in talks could be for the role Cate Blanchett passed maybe Queen Hippolyta

Would much prefer her in the role that Blanchett, really not a fan.
    The only worse choice would be (look at how cool and unpredictable I've become) Emma Thompson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

An image leaked of Pine on set of Wonder Woman.
    Looks like Traynor won't be part of the present, and meets Diana in WWII era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

First peak at footage from the movie:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gloobag wrote: »
    First peak at footage from the movie:

Fifty Shades of Grey 2: Even Greyer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nothing to go on yet except a bunch of brief clips, so hard to form any immediate thoughts, but just on those clips I really, really wish Hollywood would get over the use of that filter that makes films look so ... sickly. That green-blue tint which saps all the life and vitality out of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The most interesting part of the article, imo:
    Warner Bros. also set dates for two untitled DC films: Oct. 5, 2018, and Nov. 1, 2019.

Is one of those going to be a new Ben Afleck Batman movie? I'd be surprised if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ya know i was kinda "WTF?" about the whole WW1 thing till i realised its probably the last time someone could ride a horse into battle that didnt look totally retarded .

plus its got very good possible ties to the moral of the story (i.e the worth of mankind). WW1 was called "the war to end all wars" for a reason. no ones ever seen such industrial scale death like it before and if im catching the trailer/ clip embedded up the thread right there looks to be a scene where wonder woman is wandering through mustard gas. theres the guts of some quality material there for a good philosophical exploration of WWs role/ beliefs. the horrors of war and i presume whatever quiet nobility redeems us as being worth saving to her.

im STILL holding major reservations. DC/WB have been very hit and miss for me on the quality front (mostly miss TBH compared to what marvels turned out) but WW was the best thing in bats v supes for me (helped mainly by the fact gadot seemed to be the ONLY character in the film enjoying herself :) ) and i was very surprised at how much i liked the actress in the role. she's looking to be a stroke of genius on the casting front.

im genuinely , if cautiously, optimistic for this now.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/756520524935602176

Poster.

Been reading DC Bombshells and a few of the Wonder Woman comics lately. Great stuff and I'm really gunning on WB to turn the DC Cinematic Universe into something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That can't be real, it has colour in it..

That's a much better costume than BVS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That can't be real, it has colour in it..

That's a much better costume than BVS

The red, blue and yellow looks far better than the brown, grey and brown we got in BvS. And WW was brilliant in BvS.

I'm getting more optimistic about this film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What. A. Trailer.

This is gonna make so much money. Forget Batman and Superman, this time next year Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman could be the ones responsible for getting everyone excited for the WB Universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

and it looks .......good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

What's that... color and humor in a DC movie? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I thought since BvS that this would probably be good. I enjoyed BvS enormously but only because it was so, so, soooo bad, it was absurdly marvellous. Despite that, Wonder Woman's appearance in the final battle was actually straight up great. She was the one part of the movie I enjoyed as it was intended. And I've heard similar from most people I've talked to about it. She has a lot of good will from that movie, so hopefully this has a good script and carries through on it's promise.

I'm intrigued about the WWI setting. The original premise of Diane wanting to fight against the evil Nazis obviously doesn't work. WWI didn't have an obvious right side and wrong side. So I'm curious about how this works. Wonder Woman is one of the most interesting superheroes. Someone who hates fighting and always strives for peace, but is a strong and capable warrior and one of the few who will take a life if she deems it necessary. I've also read reports that Diana is based on the New 52 mythology, which is now being re-written following the Rebirth continuity change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Need to see this film!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wow, that actually looks pretty good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The colours were still pretty bleached out for those ww1 battle scenes, but otherwise it's remarkable what a little colour and a splash of humour does to the vitality of a film. Looks halfway decent for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wouldn't it have been much better if they had got a guy to play Wonder Woman for once? When I was growing up I was so jealous of all the girls in my estate getting to do fast twirls, shouting 'Wonder wommmmaaaaann' and then running off humming the theme tune. Would have been nice to finally have had a guy play the role so that young boys today wouldn't feel as left out as we did in my generation.

Really hope Lynda Carter will be appearing in it, even if just a cameo. Although she had said she might not be interested in a simply cameo.
    It’s not so much that I want a cameo. If I had a part, if there was something that was nice about it, that was a piece that meant something, whether I was the mother or an image from the past or whatever it is, then it would be a little bit different. But just to do a walk-on as a cameo for the fun of it, I probably wouldn’t do it.
    Understandable of course. Incidentally, it is her 65th birthday today and she is still looking amazing.

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

When I was growing up I was so jealous of all the girls in my estate getting to do fast twirls, shouting 'Wonder wommmmaaaaann' and then running off humming the theme tune.

I did it anyway. How my parents never spotted this as a sign is beyond me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

THAT TRAILER!! I have ascended. Unbelievably pumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well, of all this Comicon trailers this was easily the best. Personally I love the period setting, it jibes with my love of that kind of Edgar Rice Burroughs early 20th century pulp fiction and of course the fact that it guarantees the plot won't revolve around some lazy computer based mcguffin. The WW2 aspect of Captian America was easily my favorite part of that first film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The film trailer looked very good and Gadot seems to have improved her acting skills since her fast & furious days but i would be concerned that it will copying the first Captain America film in that an evil entity has taken over part of the German army. There were no outright bad guys in WW1 so it looks a bit strange cheering on a superhuman beating up ordinary soldiers when they are not the evil nazis. Feels faithly reminiscent of the Watchmen scenes of Dr Manhattan fighting the 'evil' North Vietnamese in the Vietnam War.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im Sooooo looking forward to this one.

gadot just seems to be reveling in the role. the colours dont bother me too much as it does hark back to the era. even captain america had a bit of a washed look to it when they got to the front.

ive got the feeling Ares is gonna be the villain in this, but in more of a manipulator role causeing people to organically start the war than a "muh ha ha ha" type villain of the animated version.

what facinates me the most is we know from bats/supes that some where along the line she gave up on humanity and took a step back. how that came about is damn interesting to me. with a bit of luck itll be a few movies before we get to that part.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I really hope this is good. I really want to see more female driven superhero movies. Jessica Jomes was a good start, that's fantastic, unfortunately all we have on the big screen is **** like Catwoman and Elektra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Like Gadot and Pine, but why the hell did they have to have it WW1.

Let's have the near unkillable demi-godess/made of clay warrior kill a bunch of conscripted men in a pissing contest between a bunch of cousins.

The original was WW2, were they worried about being compared to another shield wielding Nazi killer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »

Let's have the near unkillable demi-godess/made of clay warrior kill a bunch of conscripted men in a pissing contest between a bunch of cousins.

The original was WW2, were they worried about being compared to another shield wielding Nazi killer.

They've practically the same origin story once you take away the mythology/super soldier stuff so it's no harm doing that differentiate them a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Varik wrote: »

I'm assuming that here the enemy is war itself and the complexities of being sent to kill or be killed by men who are no better or worse than you are for no good reason as opposed to a straight up story of good soldiers versus evil soldiers. Though this a movie from the same studio that brought us BvS, so I might be being optimistic.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It seems SJW's and feminists are starting to pull a reverse-Ghostbusters situation on this due to Gadot being Jewish and of her looks :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Venom wrote: »
    It seems SJW's and feminists are starting to pull a reverse-Ghostbusters situation on this due to Gadot being Jewish and of her looks :confused:

What does this post mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I don't understand this.

PS **** the SJW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

"feminists" lol. Same crazy nonsense they were spouting months ago. They're just trying to tear down a universally applauded trailer.
    Here's the truth for anyone interested.
    http://jewishmagpie.tumblr.com/post/145046500130/guilt-a-fish-the-ridiculous-assumption-behind

Oh no. Seriously. The ghostbusters thread was a big enough dumpster fire to last Boards a lifetime. Both sides of the twitter braintrust can stay the hell out of this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

I'd love a threesome with Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'd love a threesome with Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie

Use your inside voice.

• Advertisement

DeWitt wrote: »
    "feminists" lol. Same crazy nonsense they were spouting months ago. They're just trying to tear down a universally applauded trailer.
    Here's the truth for anyone interested.
    http://jewishmagpie.tumblr.com/post/145046500130/guilt-a-fish-the-ridiculous-assumption-behind

Ah.

I think I figured out the issue you're running into.

You're reading Tumblr. That was your first mistake, of course.

Tumblr is the home of all that sort of nonsense and I'm sure you'll find someone violently objecting/taking offense to anything -- even the sky being blue.

iguana wrote: »
    I'm assuming that here the enemy is war itself and the complexities of being sent to kill or be killed by men who are no better or worse than you are for no good reason as opposed to a straight up story of good soldiers versus evil soldiers. Though this a movie from the same studio that brought us BvS, so I might be being optimistic.:p

Actually not as far of the mark as you might think, the WW1 setting, a war setting in general would suggest to me that Wonder Woman's big bad in the film is probably her most long running nemesis in the comic books, Ares god of war. So there might be at least some philosophical musing on the madness and nature of war (or at least a bit of cheap exposition between fist fights).

Ah.

I think I figured out the issue you're running into.

You're reading Tumblr. That was your first mistake, of course.

Tumblr is the home of all that sort of nonsense and I'm sure you'll find someone violently objecting/taking offense to anything -- even the sky being blue.

Well the trailer is currently the most discussed trailer from comicon on twitter, where is it currently being shredded by an army of mysoginists that hate the very sight of a woman at the helm of a comic book franchise.,... oh wait no, it's actually recieving almost universal praise. Which goes to show, when a fan favorite is treated with a modicum of respect the fanboys will roll in behind a movie in droves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wonder Women is a classic and iconic superhero and anyone who thinks she is useless just doesn't have a clue.

No surprise therefore that I'm a huge fan of WW (I loved the 70s TV series) I really am looking forward to this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Advertisement
Advertisement