Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonder Woman (2017)

Comments

It's a good film. I wish the reviews weren't banging on and making it into fodder for a gender war.

It's an above average film and will be enjoyed by DC fans and casual film go-ers alike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    RT still means little to me but I can't deny its place in generating positive buzz and word of mouth. Really happy to see that's seemingly one obstacle out of the way for the film.

Empire

"After a few false starts, the DC Extended Universe has its first truly terrific entry under its belt. About damn time."

Variety

"It may have taken four films to get there, but the DC Extended Universe has finally produced a good old-fashioned superhero. Sure, previous entries in the Warner Bros. assembly line have given us sporadically successful, demythified takes on Batman and Superman, but they've all seemed skeptical, if not downright hostile, toward the sort of unabashed do-gooderism that DC Comics' golden-age heroes exemplified.

"Never prone to stewing in solitude, and taking more notes from Richard Donner than from Christopher Nolan, Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman provides a welcome respite from DC's house style of grim darkness — boisterous, earnest, sometimes sloppy, yet consistently entertaining – with star Gal Gadot proving an inspired choice for this avatar of truth, justice and the Amazonian way."

IGN

IGN said it's the best DCEU film so far and "Wonder Woman proves to be an emotionally resonate film that won me over with its refreshing take on the superhero formula that featured something we haven't seen in the DCEU yet: a true, bona fide hero".

Entertainment Weekly

"Wonder Woman is smart, slick, and satisfying in all of the ways superhero films ought to be," writes Chris Nashawaty adding: "How deliciously ironic that in a genre where the boys seem to have all the fun, a female hero and a female director are the ones to show the fellas how it's done."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Even Donald Clarke sort of likes it giving it a 3/5. Listed as Fresh on RT:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/wonder-woman-making-a-mini-skirted-warrior-a-feminist-symbol-1.3100660
    Princess Diana becomes Diana Prince, but nobody gets to call her Wonder Woman. All this is welcome relief from the predictable skyscraper-levelling of the contemporary superhero adventure. There is some heart here. There is some wit. There is some fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

zerks wrote: »
    "How deliciously ironic that in a genre where the boys seem to have all the fun, a female hero and a female director are the ones to show the fellas how it's done."
    Ugh. Imagine if someone wrote the opposite of that..."a male hero and a male director show the gals how it's done." Ugh, again. We'll never get true equality with writers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

its actually kinda impressive that they go the length of the film without anyone calling her wonder woman.

i thought there'd at least be some newspaper headline/ subplot wondering who she is.

its GREAT to hear its got heart. for films based on heroic archetypes its sad how few of them actually have that. cap being probably the most successful on that front in the MCU . from what i can glean from the reviewers i trust its mostly a character piece for both pine and gadot before ending in a CGI fest.

now ive no problem with that cause this is WW and she's fighting Ares.

plus colour and comedy

only real complaints so fare seems to be its a tad too long.

either way im off to see it with the bro next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

techdiver wrote: »
    Even Donald Clarke sort of likes it giving it a 3/5. Listed as Fresh on RT:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/wonder-woman-making-a-mini-skirted-warrior-a-feminist-symbol-1.3100660

Aye, that opening paragraph is pretty cutting however.

I noticed Digital Spy gave it an underwhelming review....must be trying to get back some cool cred after giving Pirates a good review.

Aye, that opening paragraph is pretty cutting however.

I noticed Digital Spy gave it an underwhelming review....must be trying to get back some cool cred after giving Pirates a good review.

There are always going to be outliers, but the general trend is good.

It's actually up to 97% on RT with 64 fresh and still only 2 rotten.

Reviews are actually quite slow to come in. I imagine that many of the pending reviewers probably are unaware of the embargo being lifted early....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

kevin smiths and marc barnardins review.

needless to say spoilers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ugh. Imagine if someone wrote the opposite of that..."a male hero and a male director show the gals how it's done." Ugh, again. We'll never get true equality with writers like that.

Twats like that ruin a movie when they turn it into an agenda.

Edit: and before anyone gets triggered it isnt just militant feminists that are problematic. Theres also idiots slating it because Gal is Iraeli.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bloody great stuff. Gal godot is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just back from it. It's good, very very good.

The main difference between this and the likes of Batman v Superman or Suicide squad is there isn't one big glaring problem holding it back.

The story is good. The action is good. Humor is good and not over used.

This is just a well told, aesthetically pleasing Superhero story. 8/10.

I wouldn't say it's as good as Logan this year but I think it's close enough.

Curious to see if you'd call it uncomplicated in its storytelling Incognito?

Curious to see if you'd call it uncomplicated in its storytelling Incognito?

Yes, it's very straight forward.

That's what I like to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I liked it a lot it's got plenty of flaws and ropey cgi but that a side it's got lots of heart.

Pine & Gadot just have the charm and charisma I could watch all day.

But really really it is all about Gadot she owns the role of Diana Princess of Themyscira and is a joy to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Solid enough......far from being excellent/very good, but in no way a bad superhero film.
    Very much feels along the lines of The First Avenger, but has a heart and honesty that's almost lifted from Donner's Superman which can be quite charming given some of the company it's in these days.
    Straightforward story which does little to hide telegraphing itself, but it never betrays the audience by pretending to be anything more than it is, so it leaves the viewer quite satisfied with it's 2hr+.
    Pine is tolerable enough, though he never ventures far from his Kirk performance, but it serves the material fine. Gadot is excellent though and makes the character her own lending not only a fierce drive to the proceedings, but also a subtle naivety in her dealings with the outside world. Complete vindication in her casting.

Bit clunky at times, and some of the visual effect work is disappointing, especially large portions of the opening skirmishes. Final battle is well handled though, completely gazumping Dawn of Justice's by quite some distance, but that's hardly difficult.

Worth a watch, but I'd take some of the 'rave' reviews down a few notches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I thought it was great.

First impressions:
    - Better than the previous DC films simply because they kept everything solid.
    - This should've been their first film. Could've been their Iron Man moment.

The story was sound. It had small moments, it had big moments,
    it had funny moments, it had sad moments
    and it was well paced and delivered.
    DAMN YOU FARGO! I WAS EXPECTING David Thewlis!!! Still great to see how they worked that plot though.

Also:
    THEM EXPLOSIONS AND BATTLES AND THINGS!!!!
    :D

Gal, Chris and Patty, take a bow! Fantastic stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If it makes it up to decent Summer blockbuster level, that'll be better than anything from DC since Batman Begins in 2005.

Dark knight ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Pine and Gadot were brilliant.
    The final battle was pretty bad. The stuff with WW and Ares that is.
    Rest of it was so enjoyable that it was easy to overlook.

Think Steve Trevor was my favourite DC character thus far and
    if that's that for him it's a huge shame.

4* out of 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tigger wrote: »
    Dark knight ?

Ledger's joker was great. The Batman vs. Joker thread was good until it inexplicably stopped.

As a movie, the whole thing was slow, pompous, joyless and confused.

The 3rd one was all those things turned up to 11, but without even a Joker.

Not the thread for it for but I'd invite you to resurrect the fantastic thread this forum had on The Dark Knight Rises. I have to say pompous is a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Can someone please let me know if the iSense in Odeon the 2D or 3D version? The iSense time suits me but I want to avoid 3D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can someone please let me know if the iSense in Odeon the 2D or 3D version? The iSense time suits me but I want to avoid 3D.

3D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I don't comment on movie threads too much, despite having a solid passion for movies. Movies have waned over the last few years for me, with a lot of tripe being released i.e. non-original stories, rehashed stories in a different, but similar form in something that I saw before.

However, I absolutely loved this film. It's the first time I came out of the cinema in ages where I actually felt satisfied. Pure entertainment. That's how movies should make you feel. I know you could say that the story was a bit simple, and it has a start, middle and an end, without making you have to think too much, but that was all elevated by the stellar performance from Gal Gadot, and a brilliant supporting role from Pine. Even all the supporting characters were all solid.

Also, I liked that they didn't over do the humor like they seem to do in some of the Marvel movies. The humor they did bring in seemed to fit in well with the plot and be consistent with the character, so it wasn't just there for comic relief.
    I suppose my only criticism was the final battle. Wasn't too overwhelmed by that, but the rest of the film was so good that it didn't spoil it for me at all. Also, the main "villain" wasn't really developed, but I suppose that is let off again by Gadot being so good and so much time being spent on her.
    If she, or the character, were weak, the poorness of the villain would have stood out a lot more I think. Not that the villain was necessarily poor, we just didn't see a whole lot of him, and then the twist didn't really have a huge impact or it wasn't a gasp moment. Forgettable, actually.
    Again, the rest of the film was so good that you should be able to overlook all that.

Overall, it was a great blockbuster. I would definitively give it a 4.5/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's OK. Some very ropey cgi on most of the action scenes.

Massive mixed messages both within the movie and in comparison to batman vs superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I definitely think a mark has been added to the scores due to the feminist appeal. It's at the level of the early marvel movies, enjoyable with some charm, but ultimately disposable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saw it last night and walked away feeling that the entire film was a mistake and will send entirely the wrong message to children.

They're going to expect all DC films to be good from now on.

Really liked it. The Amazonian stuff was surprisingly well executed. I was afraid it was going to be cringe.

Gadot and Pine are excellent.

Favourite scene was probably
    No Mans Land.
    It gave me goosebumps, it was that good.

It felt a bit rushed at times as in I would have liked to have spent more time with Trevor's rag tag group and for his and
    death to resonate more but they are minor issues.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It felt a bit rushed at times as in I would have liked to have spent more time with Trevor's rag tag group
    and for his death to resonate more
    but they are minor issues.

No point only spoilering one word when the rest of the sentence makes it obvious what it is. :pac:

• Advertisement

Duly noted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

My favorite aspect of the movie is that it shows what
    Ares was up to before he decided to wreck havoc in a small town in Minnesota.

My favorite aspect of the movie is that it shows what
    Ares was up to before he decided to wreck havoc in a small town in Minnesota.

:D

419024.jpg

MovieBob 3 stars outta 4.

lol, he spends the first 45 seconds doing a bit on his relief about how the film structure and story structure just plain make sense outta his system so he can then do a review after that bit :D

Major spoiler:
    I'm really sad Pine won't have another film in the DCEU.

Major spoiler:
    The Flash can sort it out! :)

techdiver wrote: »
    The Flash can sort it out! :)
    That's a much better angle than the spoof I came up with about the Trevors and Jordans breeding so Pine can play Hal. :P

Major spoiler:

WW Spoiler:
    Something about the film that's jumped out at me after thinking about the film for a while is that we don't see a dead Ares or a dead Steve.

Continued into a bigger DCEU spoiler:
    So I dunno. It's not unknown for people to be resurrected. Shur I'm pretty sure we're getting some form of Superman back in Justice League. Plus they might do the God of the Underworld, Hades, so that could be a link to bring back Steve and Ares and General Antiope too. Well especially General Antiope.. I mean like.. killing Robin Wright so early into a franchise.. what??!?

There'd be pros and cons I think..
    deaths = meaningless to the films
    versus
    oh cool, they are back

I actually thought that Steve would make it out giving us a nice happy ending here.

Then have the second Wonder Woman film set in world war 2, have Steve killed as a result of that war, leaving us with her turning point in relation to humanity. Her seeing that even after world war 1, humans never really learn their lesson and are likely to always return to some kind of war.

• Advertisement

I actually thought that Steve would make it out giving us a nice happy ending here.

Then have the second Wonder Woman film set in world war 2, have Steve killed as a result of that war, leaving us with her turning point in relation to humanity. Her seeing that even after world war 1, humans never really learn their lesson and are likely to always return to some kind of war.
    You pose an interesting point IM that I didn't think about at the time. Diana seemed to reconcile herself with the nature of mankind by the end so I'm not sure why she withdrew from it, unless a potential sequel fills in that gap.

You pose an interesting point IM that I didn't think about at the time. Diana seemed to reconcile herself with the nature of mankind by the end so I'm not sure why she withdrew from it, unless a potential sequel fills in that gap.

Yeah her line in BvS was she walked away from humanity after a century of horrors. The problem is though that the sequel is apparently confirmed for modern day, so no gap filling between this and BvS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Saw this last night and enjoyed it for the most part, mainly due to solid performances by most of the cast. Gadot is perfect in the role. But my god does it have some major problems for me.
    The main one being Ares. A nothing character really. We hear about who he is early on and that he may return and that would be bad (blah blah blah), but we never really get any sense of presence from him. When he does show up in the last few minutes it's just a load of CGI nonsense. Ares should have been a constant presence in the movie. Fcuk this twist ****e (ooh, it was this guy all along), we all knew he was the bad guy. You had David Thewlis on board and you're telling me you couldn't come up with something even just a little bit more interesting than CGI metal and lightning bolts flying around. Such a waste of a great actor in what could have been a great role.

My other big gripe is the action. Enough with the slow mo already. It takes all the impact out of the combat. Then the amount of poor CGI on top of that. It was like watching video game cutscenes half the time. Nothing had any weight.

Steve Trevor (supposedly) dies. One of the most important characters from Wonder Woman comics for decades and you kill him off in the first movie. This makes me fear for the state of the inevitable sequel, as we will now have to be subjected to whatever nonsense the writers come up with to bring him back. They could actually do something interesting and introduce some of DC's mystical characters like Constantine or Dr Fate to help pluck him from the afterlife and bring him into the modern day, but you know they won't. It will be something silly like his soul is trapped in that watch because he loved Diana so much or some ****.

Things I loved.
    The Amazons and Themyscira were great. The crossing of No man's Land. Steve's band of rogues were interesting. Gadot and Pines chemistry. The overall portrayal of Diana's character was pretty spot on.

All of these things were so enjoyable to watch that it almost makes me want to forgive the things I didn't like.

Yeah I think it would have been great to end the first film with her thinking she has helped mankind become better. End the first on that high.

Then in the squeal you can pick up where you left off and have her learn that throughout human history there has always been conflict.

Then when WW2 starts (only around 20 years later) she has the realization that nothing has changed and it most likely never will. She loses Steve in WW2 and decides to walk away, maybe head back to themyscira.

Of course then you need something to pull her back into our world and you need to fill in the gap as to why she changed her mind but I think it would add a lot of weight to that decision if you had seen exactly why she walked away and you can empathize with it.

I've a feeling it will all be done in a couple of dialogue scenes with Bruce near the start of Justice League though and that's a shame because I think there was a really good story to be told there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I absolutely loved it. Haven't bothered with any other DC movies and had low expectations but wow. Gal Gadot is fab. I loved the music. And yes, it was bloody great to see a woman lead a film and I actually felt empowered by the experience - reminiscent of watching Buffy. Saw it with a male cousin, who admitted he wouldn't have bothered if I hadn't suggested it. The cinema wasn't anywhere near full though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I'll post a review later but the cinema was nearly empty at an 8 o'clock screening.......

On a Saturday night, opening weekend......

Anyone else concerned by this? Did this happen anywhere else?

• Advertisement

That's not good alright. I don't go to many Saturday showings myself but I would have thought that would be the busiest time?

There was a nice crowd at my screening Thursday but considering it was the first showing in Galway it wasn't crazy either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bank holiday effect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Saw it, agree with most that 3rd act was weak due to cheap big bad fight scene, saw it sat night very quiet (possible champions league effect). What worked well was as good as any we have seen from super hero movies but I fear how we will be diluted by JL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the complaints I head from someone was, its too long, not enough wonder woman more like a romance drama also some dodgy military stuff being able to ride and move around a military base with no guards

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Watched this in a packed house last night and one joke (an innuendo) either went over people's heads.... or else nobody found it funny... I think it was the former... and just was bad timing... but maybe not.
    Was the scene where they were speaking and Pine thinks WW is talking about his penis (which was funny) but then WW says regarding his watch but continuing the double entendre: "Are you gonna let that little thing tell you what to do?"

Got tumbleweeds at the screening I was at anyway.

Anyway, overall, it kinda felt like I watched two films at the same time... one was excellent... and the other crap.

The back story build up was interesting, chemistry between the two leads good, the dialogue sharp and was enjoying their scenes..... but almost everything else was boring and so it ruined the whole thing. Felt like they didn't know what film they wanted to make and so made both.. which in the end just resulted in a forgettable mess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement