Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Old apple

• 26-11-2014 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering for some advice or insight here. I have a Macbook from 2007, it's tiger. Yes, I know. Ancient! Would anyone know what I could do with it? I don't think I can upgrade it, but I don't just want it sitting in the press. Is there any company that buys old macs or trades or anything? Would love to know it's gone somewhere it can be used. It's been a good computer for 7 years but i just need to upgrade now.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

You should be able to add more RAM to it to get a bit more use out of it and you can upgrade to leopard without too much hassle. The machine flew under Tiger though so shouldn't it still be doing well with that OS? You might try a reinstall. I know the apps are probably getting to the unsupported stage now though. A 7 year old laptop is quire old. I'd donate it to somewhere that needs a machine for surfing the web/reading email really. You could also use it as the power behind a medial server too if you wanted to. Connect up a few disks to it and install Plex or something like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My Macbook is the same vintage and although I don't use it a lot, I've Snow Leopard on it. I presume you'd probably be able to bring yours up to that OS.

Is a media server tricky to set up, squonk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

You could install Linux on it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Advertisement