Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kindle fire HDX €129 @ Argos

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dconstantin

I have tried some of them, but did not worked well for me, and all those errors that states that google services stops are quite annoying ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Is the €20 voucher offer still available as can't see it online. Going to collect one in Dundrum later and wanted to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

mjp wrote: »
    Is the €20 voucher offer still available as can't see it online. Going to collect one in Dundrum later and wanted to know

Yes. It's still available. I can still see it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jj73

Do-more wrote: »
    Thanks, anyone else had any joy installing Google Play?

If it can't be done I will return mine un-opened and get the Lenovo Yoga instead.

Got this and it came with version 13.3.0.5; Device: KFTHWI.

I was able to root it following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665683

Installed Google Play using this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2787813

Google Play kept on crashing the first time so I uninstalled all 4 APKs, clearing cache and data with all four. Reinstalled them and Google Play's working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

jj73 wrote: »
    Got this and it came with version 13.3.0.5; Device: KFTHWI.

I was able to root it following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665683

Installed Google Play using this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2787813

Google Play kept on crashing the first time so I uninstalled all 4 APKs, clearing cache and data with all four. Reinstalled them and Google Play's working fine.

Which Argos did you collect it from JJ73?

Which Argos did you collect it from JJ73?

Got it from Blanchardstown yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I have tried some of them, but did not worked well for me, and all those errors that states that google services stops are quite annoying ..

Maybe yours has developed a fault leading you to have to return for another unit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dconstantin

heh, is just me updating the OS without having a clue that this upgrade will mess up with my chances of getting google play working :)

Hi Raoul! Tried to reply to you but I think your inbox is full.

I'm really sorry but I have no idea if you could put xbmx in this.

Sorry for not being able to help you more... not a expert on these things. :-(

Maybe someone in here could answer your question. I'm sure there are people here who would be knowledgeable on these things. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah you should probably delete the thing after xbmc. Cheers for getting back to me. Anyone know if you can put xbmc on it after you root it? And would this be as good or better than a Nexus 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Anyone know of any deals going for a Kindle ? Have to pick one up for a Christmas present .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

This is back up on Argos now at 129. 10 euro voucher back also. Remember if u want to root it and flash nexus ROM, don't let it connect to internet when u get first and just follow online guides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I haven't updated the firmware on mine yet.

I get the benefit of rooting and having google play on the device but what is the advantage of stock android? (i actually like the simple amazon GUI)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

I guess if u ignore play store then the only other advantage is being able to play more video formats on stock android. I believe the amazon os is restricted to mp4 only and doesn't allow YouTube.
    Rooting and installing a utility called safestrap allows you to boot into either OS, giving the best of both worlds !

I got the YouTube app and Gmail and other Google apps (not the Play Store) working without rooting it.

I did a factory reset on Fire OS 4.5.2 then followed these instructions. (It didn't work first time I tried but then I factory reset it and tried again and it worked.)

I had to use this video to learn how to install adb (Android Debug Bridge) because it's not explained in the above video.

Then I installed a bunch of Play Store apps like the BBC News app and Dolphin Browser using this Chrome extension called APK Downloader. I had to register a different Android device to get it working though because I couldn't get an Android ID out of the HDX even after installing an Android ID identifier app to it.
    APK Downloader: http://codekiem.com/2014/08/07/official-apk-downloader-v2-download-apk-files-from-google-play-store-to-pc/

You can also get Flash working in Dolphin Browser (Silk Browser doesn't support it) if you download a version of Flash. Here's an instructions video that I didn't use to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I guess if u ignore play store then the only other advantage is being able to play more video formats on stock android. I believe the amazon os is restricted to mp4 only and doesn't allow YouTube.
    Rooting and installing a utility called safestrap allows you to boot into either OS, giving the best of both worlds !

To play other formats can download VLC from the amazon app store and this plays more formats

If you're tryna follow the instructions videos above, this webpage will help you to get adb to recognise your device.
    https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/resources/development-tools/ide-tools/tech-docs/05-setting-up-your-kindle-fire-tablet-for-testing

Another problem I ran into was that a Windows program called BlueStacks was interfering when using adb. You have to close it by running HD-Quit.exe which is located in the BlueStacks folder in Program Files (x86).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Absoluvely wrote: »
    I got the YouTube app and Gmail and other Google apps (not the Play Store) working without rooting it.

I did a factory reset on Fire OS 4.5.2 then followed these instructions. (It didn't work first time I tried but then I factory reset it and tried again and it worked.)

I had to use this video to learn how to install adb (Android Debug Bridge) because it's not explained in the above video.

Then I installed a bunch of Play Store apps like the BBC News app and Dolphin Browser using this Chrome extension called APK Downloader. I had to register a different Android device to get it working though because I couldn't get an Android ID out of the HDX even after installing an Android ID identifier app to it.
    APK Downloader: http://codekiem.com/2014/08/07/official-apk-downloader-v2-download-apk-files-from-google-play-store-to-pc/

You can also get Flash working in Dolphin Browser (Silk Browser doesn't support it) if you download a version of Flash. Here's an instructions video that I didn't use to do this.

You're a legend, thanks.

Left mine connected to the wifi while I went out and planned to root it when I got home. Twas a but gutted to find it had updated itself in my absence. However the above videos work great and allow me to install google apps with no errors (without having to root it).

Advertisement