Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian O'Driscoll is not the Messiah

• 26-11-2014 9:29pm

He's a very naughty boy!

But seriously though, I was as much of a fan of his during him during his playing days as anyone.

However, I think the media hype surrounding him is just too much, I mean if him and his missus do so much as fart these days it seems to garner an article in the Indo.

Do people care that much about his personal life that they want the media reporting on his every move?

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Yes he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I think your thread is incorrectly punctuated.
    It should be

Brian O'Driscoll is, not the Messiah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I didn't care for his professional life so I certainly have no fcuking interest in his personal life, or his mad faced mrs.

They couldn't give a fiddlers what I get up to on a daily basis and the feeling is mutual.

Oh yeah and "BOD"...."BOD"? Fcuk right off you cnut. You aren't 17 anymore fcukface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The media have been trying to pump a celebrity culture for a long time now.

Katie French (if you remember her) was our Diana.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Well, 'Jesus O'Driscoll' has a good ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can't stand the man. Mostly due to the smirk of superiority permanently on his face.

Oh, and it's funny but the people who think he is the messiah are quite often the same ones who vociferously ridicule anyone who believes in the idea of a messiah (in a religious context).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I think your thread is incorrectly punctuated.
    It should be

Brian O'Driscoll is, not the Messiah!
    No, it shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's The Irish Independent. They've resorted to using tweets as 'news' articles now. It's not BOD's fault.
    The Indo is desperately trying to ape the Daily Mail formula for online success, regarding hits. It's debatable how much will translate to actual ad revenue.
    It will never work. They will go out of business eventually.
    I will not mourn its demise.It's a malevolent influence on Irish life.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

mickdw wrote: »
    Can't stand the man. Mostly due to the smirk of superiority permanently on his face.

I think he comes across as very humble, to be honest.

I don't agree with the media trying to make an Irish David Beckham out of him and his family but the man himself is a hero to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Roy Keane released his recent book and the snippets were either funny, controversial or both. BOD released a book soon after and I recall a snippet being peddled about along the lines of "I knew after two weeks I was going to marry Amy". I mean,really? Booooring!

But yeah I think the majority of the stuff published about him belongs to the LIFE Magazine, that clap trap of shoddy journalism dedicated to glorifying those who crave a ceebrity lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I barely know anything about rugby and I'm indifferent to him so therefore can't relate to the love for him, but I don't get the hate either - jealousy maybe? (And usually I'd be slow to trot the "J" bomb out).

Also the derogatory stuff that gets said about his wife's appearance. Yes, truly a monstrosity. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Brian and Amy for King and Queen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Brian O'Driscoll is a living sporting legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours. Charter is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Karl Stein wrote: »

So are Roy Keane, Henry Shefflin, Paul McGrath, Gooch Cooper, Katie Taylor, and countless others, and there isn't half the fanfare and media fascination into their lives (Roy Keane aside. Though that's mainly due to his actions. Very private family life)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The indo is more like a red-top masquerading as a broadsheet (why I don't buy it) and most of the Country doesn't give a shi'ite about Dublin-based D-list 'celebrities'. Maybe they need some distraction from the dirty city they live in?

Either way, I don't know Brian so I'm not going to hate him because some paper I don't read fawns over him...his wife looks pretty on tv though.

I barely know anything about rugby and I'm indifferent to him so therefore can't relate to the love for him, but I don't get the hate either - jealousy maybe? (And usually I'd be slow to trot the "J" bomb out).

Also the derogatory stuff that gets said about his wife's appearance. Yes, truly a monstrosity. :confused:

There's no hate, just fatigue with his omnipresence in the media even though he clearly doesn't try to court publicity. I wish the media would focus on more important/interesting things going on in the country.

Was it a joke that he nominated price albert of monaco as one of his ice bucket challenge picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

He is superior. Hugely so. The smirk is appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

So are Roy Keane, Henry Shefflin, Paul McGrath, Gooch Cooper, Katie Taylor, and countless others, and there isn't half the fanfare and media fascination into their lives

You know what? I never noticed because I don't pay attention to all that bollocks. Maybe you're watching the wrong programmes if it bothers you so much?

Karl Stein wrote: »

[/QUOTE
    Its mind blowing to think how lucky we are to be alive at the same time that such a giant bestrode the world of rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think a lot of people are directing their annoyance in the wrong direction. If the Indo keep writing stuff about O' Driscoll then don't buy or read the rag. Its an Irish media thing they feel a need to elevate public personalities to celebrity status because its what the English do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

He's a very naughty boy!

But seriously though, I was as much of a fan of his during him during his playing days as anyone.

However, I think the media hype surrounding him is just too much, I mean if him and his missus do so much as fart these days it seems to garner an article in the Indo.

Do people care that much about his personal life that they want the media reporting on his every move?

What do you think?

Blasphemy :p

Was it a joke that he nominated price albert of monaco as one of his ice bucket challenge picks.

Why ? He is pals with a lot of the world's royalty, rich and famous, statespeople, etc. They all like to bask in the glory of his awesomeness.

Why ? He is pals with a lot of the world's royalty, rich and famous, statespeople, etc. They all like to bask in the glory of his awesomeness.

If it's true, it just defies belief and really shows the arrogance of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Aren't we supposed to crucify these Messiah pretenders first then wait a few hundred years for an emperor to make them into an amalgamation of fictional characters and give them a good origin story, lets start by saying BOD was conceived in the back of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I don't get the impression from him at all that he feels superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

It's a media thing pushing the idea of the Irish celebrity and writing trash about effectively z list people.

I don't think he courts it as much as maybe others do. To be honest he seems a fairly down to earth guy given what he has achieved in his sport.

It's an Irish thing to criticise our own anyway. He was the best player in the professional era in the Northern Hemisphere and sometimes we can't wait to knock him.

There should be statues to him all over the country for what he has done for Irish rugby.

• Advertisement

Not sure but he did it.

If it's true, it just defies belief and really shows the arrogance of the man.

How does that make him arrogant? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

VinLieger wrote: »
    Brian and Amy for King and Queen!

I'd vote for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

He obviously isn't the messiah, he's just a pretender to the true God that is Paul O'Connell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

He has some discernible talent at least. If anyone can enlighten me as to what his wife is 'famous' for other than being his wife, please do so.

Nimr wrote: »

How does that make him arrogant? :confused:

People nominate their peers typically.
    Bod nominated the head of a state, a state with massive wealth and prestige to add to that. It just shows that he believes he is presidential material himself or at least that he should be mixing in those circles.
    Personally I think he is just a sports man.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    He has some discernible talent at least. If anyone can enlighten me as to what his wife is 'famous' for other than being his wife, please do so.

well she did have a career of her own before they met. and probably has more of a career now than he does.

Bod nominated the head of a state, a state with massive wealth and prestige to add to that. It just shows that he believes he is presidential material himself or at least that he should be mixing in those circles.

Perhaps they know each other? Albert actually did do the ice bucket challenge and thanked BOD in his video so i imagine there is some connection. Maybe albert is a rugby fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

dresden8 wrote: »
    The media have been trying to pump a celebrity culture for a long time now.

Katie French (if you remember her) was our Diana.......

Yeah, and it's just not going to happen in Ireland, the country is too damn small. It feels too parochial. Give it up, media, give it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

He was a great player although far from the greatest. I think he also shone bright as many of his fellow players were mediocre. The history books are pretty bare for Irish rugby on the world stage. One off victories against Southern Hemisphere teams at the ends of their respective seasons mean little. It's about stringing together consistent victories at world cups. Getting to the semi finals is generally a good start! And a celebrity he ain't.

Like Gatland and Umaga?
    It just shows that he believes he is presidential material himself or at least that he should be mixing in those circles.

Jesus..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Loads of 'normal' people were nominating GAA players and managers etc that they didn't know, does that make them arrogant? Christ, I'd suggest some salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder.

fullstop wrote: »
    Loads of 'normal' people were nominating GAA players and managers etc that they didn't know, does that make them arrogant? Christ, I'd suggest some salt and vinegar for that chip on your shoulder.

Yes I would suggest it does make them gob****s simply for being overly familiar with people they don't know.
    Wait til the next silly nomination idea comes up. If these are the rules, we can all be gob****es. I'm nominating o driscoll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes I would suggest it does make them gob****s simply for being overly familiar with people they don't know.
    Wait til the next silly nomination idea comes up. If these are the rules, we can all be gob****es. I'm nominating o driscoll.

Well it's hardly bloody arrogance, it's a bit of fun for them. And before you ask, no, I didn't partake it the 'challenge'. Anyway, Prince Albert responded as shown above, so he obviously has some respect for O'Driscoll. Keep begrudging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

If he dosen't like the media spotlight he only has himself to blame for getting involved with that vacuous Z lister Glenda Gilson.She practicly lives in the pages of The Sindo lifestyle section,or used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

darkdubh wrote: »
    If he dosen't like the media spotlight he only has himself to blame for getting involved with that vacuous Z lister Glenda Gilson.She practicly lives in the pages of The Sindo lifestyle section,or used to.

Is she still on Xpose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

darkdubh wrote: »

That was about 10 years ago I reckon?????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wernstrom! wrote: »

She played Daisy on the Clinic. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

amdublin wrote: »
    That was about 10 years ago I reckon?????

It was the start of the whole media/celebrity thing with him.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Beano wrote: »
    well she did have a career of her own before they met. and probably has more of a career now than he does.

Perhaps they know each other? Albert actually did do the ice bucket challenge and thanked BOD in his video so i imagine there is some connection. Maybe albert is a rugby fan.

By starring in a handful of Irish made movies that about ten people will pay to see?

By starring in a handful of Irish made movies that about ten people will pay to see?

no she definitely had a career before they met. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1074508/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Maybe not a major career but more of a career than most actresses have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Huberman is as wooden as my floorboards

Terrible actress

She's assuming the 'Nations Sweetheart' role last abdicated by Cheryl Cole and Princess Di

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Personally I can’t stand the fawning over celebrities that our culture engages in to a really gross extent. Obviously the talentless (smart business woman) celebrities ala Parisite Hilton and Kim Karcrashian are the absolute worst but honestly at this point I believe we have crossed the line even when it comes to legitimately talented celebrities, especially sporting celebs. You are talented in what is in effect an fairly useless if entertaining skill. This does not make you a good person. Does not mean you should enjoy some sacred position in society.

• Advertisement
Advertisement