Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daffodils

Options
  • 26-11-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just curious - has anyone seen their daffodils starting to appear? Ours are just popping their heads out of the ground at the moment, looks like they'll be flowering in January at this rate (assuming they won't be killed off by bad weather in the meantime).

Now that the real cold weather is starting to set in, can anyone give advice as to what I should do to prevent the ones that have appeared from growing any more / damage / frost / being killed off by winter?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

nekuchi wrote: »
    Just curious - has anyone seen their daffodils starting to appear? Ours are just popping their heads out of the ground at the moment, looks like they'll be flowering in January at this rate (assuming they won't be killed off by bad weather in the meantime).

Now that the real cold weather is starting to set in, can anyone give advice as to what I should do to prevent the ones that have appeared from growing any more / damage / frost / being killed off by winter?

Thanks
    There's nothing you need to do, daffs are as hardy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't have daffs, but my freesias are starting to come up. I hope they'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Daffs near me are a foot out of the ground a month now!!! Leave 'em be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some are earlier than others. I noticed a few doors down from me has their daffs flowering a full month or so before mine. But of course mine lasted about a month longer than theirs. Have mixed varieties this year down but not much showing anywhere here yet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mine are still lying sadly in a bucket, unplanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

looksee wrote: »

Why not plant them now?, they'll be up a bit later than most, but then you'll have a lovely show of flowers when theres not much else happening in the garden. Nice dry spell last week and likely to stay that way for a few days, as good a planting spell as you are likely to get in early December.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

looksee wrote: »

I've some to plant still as well. Last year I planted some the week before christmas and they came up fine, just a bit later than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Planted some daffodils just over a month ago and was surprised to see some of the bulbs plucked out of the ground a few weeks later. I had to replant them a couple of times but since I put some extra manure on top they have been OK. I think it was probably crows feeding on the worms around the roots that had started to grow but not sure. Has anybody else had a similar experience? I might have planted them a bit more shallow in the ground than I should have as I did not want to disturb the other shrubs I planted. Apple trees here still have leaves and roses are still flowering in spite of frost. Strange winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just a quick question on Daffodils for planting inside. A friend of mine is a teacher and wishes to plant the bulbs indoors with the children. I know it is about the right time of the year to plant bulbs however with them being kept indoors and under artificial lights she is worried they may appear and flower too early. When might the best time be to plant the bulbs with the children in pots indoors?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

The bulbs wont sprout unless they have gone through a long period of low temperatures so she could plant the bulbs in pots now but they will need to be stored in a cold, dark spot for about 10 weeks before moving to a warmer, bright place. Basically mimicking what's going out outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks livinsane I'll pass on the info and be back if there are any further questions

Advertisement