Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steinel pir

Options
  • 26-11-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Right all having a total brain freeze tonight was looking at a steinel pir wired to led light this evening quick look only as a favour really for a neighbour.

I never wire domestic situations so i know its simple think im over thinking this thats all haha

Pir 3x1.5mm nymj
    brown constant live in(its in a garage stuff every where so didnt trace it yet)
    blue neutral
    earth taped over with brown tape.

Link out the pir light comes on no prob now just to check light is ok.
    Pir is years old so all markings are gone.

Its more the setting up im unfamiliar with how does this type of pir work
    two screws on bottom of unit,i assume one is for time light is on, the other appears to maybe be to do with daylight nightlight setting does this control whether the pir activates only at night or during the day etc i kmows it sounds dumb im just confused haha

Most pir i ever came across live supply wired to switch to control it then to light.

I know its simple im just over thinking it i know that all help gratefully accepted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

crasy dash wrote: »
    Right all having a total brain freeze tonight was looking at a steinel pir wired to led light this evening quick look only as a favour really for a neighbour.

I never wire domestic situations so i know its simple think im over thinking this thats all haha

Pir 3x1.5mm nymj
    brown constant live in(its in a garage stuff every where so didnt trace it yet)
    blue neutral
    earth taped over with brown tape.

Link out the pir light comes on no prob now just to check light is ok.
    Pir is years old so all markings are gone.

Its more the setting up im unfamiliar with how does this type of pir work
    two screws on bottom of unit,i assume one is for time light is on, the other appears to maybe be to do with daylight nightlight setting does this control whether the pir activates only at night or during the day etc i kmows it sounds dumb im just confused haha

Most pir i ever came across live supply wired to switch to control it then to light.

I know its simple im just over thinking it i know that all help gratefully accepted

Most external pirs have 3 settings. 1-time 2-sensitivity and 3- dusk/dawn setting. Time controls how long the pir stays on for when triggered. Sensitivity is adjusted so it dosnt turn on and off if for example a cat or dog walks in front of it and the dusk/ dawn setting is an adjustable photocell that can be changed depending on what light levels you want the pir to activate the light. I always find they never work they way they should. They can be tempramental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

First off thanks evosteo for rapid post

id say tis number three i got confused with dawn dusk setting.
    I only looked at it for 5min i assume there is a constant supply to pir as his wife didnt know of any switch to control it its on a shed by the way.

Am i right to think if i turn this setting down to dusk setting it should in theory only activate when some one walks back when its dark outside.

Tis so stupid i know im so used to industrial machine panel motor control,its stuff like this that throws me i know its sounds silly and embarassing:o

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

So what is the question?

The two dials can be 3 things - 1.motion, 2.time or 3.lux setting. Chances are they are lux and time. Lux setting normally has a sun and moon symbol - the closer dial to sun the higher the lux needed to turn on light and the closer to moon the lower the lux needed to turn on light. Time is normally indicated by plus and minus symbols.

Lux setting - normally anticlockwise to - (moon)
    Lux setting - normally clockwise to + (sun)

Time setting - normally anticlockwise to -
    Time setting - normally clockwise to +

This link might help also, slightly different light but same principal...good luck.

http://www.steinel.net/RelId/607522/ISvars/default/Outdoor_Motion_Sensors.htm

Par1 wrote: »
    So what is the question?

The two dials can be 3 things - 1.motion, 2.time or 3.lux setting. Chances are they are lux and time. Lux setting normally has a sun and moon symbol - the closer dial to sun the higher the lux needed to turn on light and the closer to moon the lower the lux needed to turn on light. Time is normally indicated by plus and minus symbols.

Lux setting - normally anticlockwise to - (moon)
    Lux setting - normally clockwise to + (sun)

Time setting - normally anticlockwise to -
    Time setting - normally clockwise to +

No whats throwing me out is the constant feed to the pir to power it, thats all.
    I assume in domestic, normal practice is to have a switch to control the supply to pir and then the pir switches the feed to the light.
    Or would a feed from a mcb direct to pir be more normal as i am not used to domestic wiring thats all.

Say if the pir has a constant feed to it can you use the lux setting to control when it actually turns the light on, for example if its set to moon it triggers when it is dark and somebody walks near it??

Thanks for the link and advice PAr 1

• Advertisement

crasy dash wrote: »
    No whats throwing me out is the constant feed to the pir to power it, thats all.
    I assume in domestic, normal practice is to have a switch to control the supply to pir and then the pir switches the feed to the light.
    Or would a feed from a mcb direct to pir be more normal as i am not used to domestic wiring thats all.

Say if the pir has a constant feed to it can you use the lux setting to control when it actually turns the light on, for example if its set to moon it triggers when it is dark and somebody walks near it??

Thanks for the link and advice PAr 1

It would be more common to have the PIR directly fed from MCB so switching is automatic, some people do break the feed through a switch but if the switch is left in the off position by mistake then the PIR is not automatic which kind of defeats the purpose. The better way of using a switch is to wire a 'Master On' which just essentially bridges out the L+S/L and leaves the light constantly on.

The PIR can be set on 'Moon' as you say which will only then illuminate lamp when light level (Lux) is low enough as motion sensor will work in conjunction with lux sensor.

If you need any further advise just shout...best of luck with it

Cheers for the advice :):)

I told my neighbour to go get a replacement pir and i'll fit it in the next few days if i get a chance that is .

Obviously it will be during the day when i fit it so in theory a black bag covering it should switch the contact and turn the lamp on :o

Advertisement