Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25-06

Options
  • 26-11-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I was thinking buying a second rifle for deer shooting i am using a 308 the last few seasons and have no problems with it i was thinking of buying a tikka t3 25-06 all views welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Any particular reason? Seems surplus to requirements regardless of caliber.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Ah now Cass, surely you of all people wouldn't be suggesting that one could have too many guns?

This is interesting because I am going the oppostie way. I currently have a .243 and am looking at a .270 or .308 as well. I'm 90% sure it's going to be a .270, anyone got any views on the perfect partner for a .243?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BLACK EYES

i hear that it one of the flatest rounds happy out with the 308 would like to have somthing else, had a 243, 6.5, over the years was thinking of a 270 also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ah now Cass, surely you of all people wouldn't be suggesting that one could have too many guns?
    Christ no. The more the merrier. Plus, as you said, i would not be the poster child for having one gun per purpose.

Was just curious as to the reasons for it. The .308 is one of the best all rounder calibers, not my favorite, but the best all rounder none the less. Was wondering if it's lacking in some department the OP is looking to improve on is all.
    BLACK EYES wrote:
    i hear that it one of the flatest rounds
    With a 30-06 case pushing a 6.5 bullet you can be sure as chips it's flat shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

s?
    This is interesting because I am going the oppostie way. I currently have a .243 and am looking at a .270 or .308 as well. I'm 90% sure it's going to be a .270, anyone got any views on the perfect partner for a .243?
    [/QUOTE]

You already have it...The.308! The .243 is a smaller round based on the .308.
    Bolt heads ,mags should be interchangable between both calibers[At least they are on the AR10 modular sporting rifles]. Academic point but if we could reload here...The 308 brass can be reworked to .243 if needs be.

However,without reloading here its all pretty academic.I'd have a 25.06 in the morning as it is one great caliber for reloading,everything from heavy deer rounds to light enough loads and bullets for decapitating bunnies.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

BLACK EYES wrote: »
    i hear that it one of the flatest rounds happy out with the 308 would like to have somthing else, had a 243, 6.5, over the years was thinking of a 270 also

What's it like to source 25-06 ammo?

How far out are you shooting?

How about a 7mm Rem Mag?

Rang around and ammo can be got for 25-06, i checked out 7mm but ammo very hard to get, i will keep my 308 but would like to have a second deer rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

my mate has a 25-06 and loves it but only can get hornady sst and federal soft points. you wont be spoilt for choice. its its only downfall. theres also remington ammo available but its pure dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I was thinking buying a second rifle for deer shooting i am using a 308 the last few seasons and have no problems with it i was thinking of buying a tikka t3 25-06 all views welcome

From what I heard/seen it does fierce meat damage

thanks lads would very tempted to buy as i can get ammo, my only fear is that would never b able to sell it later as the ammo can be hard to get

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

4200fps wrote: »
    my mate has a 25-06 and loves it but only can get hornady sst and federal soft points. you wont be spoilt for choice.

True.
    But I find that my combination of Sako 75 in 25.06 and 117 grain Federals to be very accurate. John Lambert was selling four boxes of these rounds for €100 not so long ago. Once I can buy rounds that work at the right price I don't care about having lots of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

thanks lads would very tempted to buy as i can get ammo, my only fear is that would never b able to sell it later as the ammo can be hard to get

They would sell but wouldn't be the easiest to sell I'm thinking

Advertisement