Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fónfix - Is this racketeering?

Options
  • 26-11-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Bought a HTC One M8 in July, brand new, sim free. Registered with HTC, 1 year warranty.

3 weeks ago, I was prompted to update the software on the handset. Did so, camera went blurry immediately.

Rang HTC, was advised that this is a common problem, must send to Fonfix.

Emailed in advance, "Yep, no problem, send it in", registered and insured postage €11.

Very quick service, received phone back within 3 working days, camera back to perfect working order. Problem - the handset would not detect my sim card (this was not an issue before I sent the phone to them).

Emailed immediately, informed them that I would chance a sim change in Vodafone store the following day just in case. The Fonfix representative replied, apologising and requesting that I let her know if it resolved the issue and to send back if it didn't.

Sim change in store didn't resolve the issue, was advised it was a handset issue. Emailed again (as these people don't have a phone apparently), more apologies and assurances, just send it back. Another €11.

No word back from them after a week, so I sent another email requesting a status update. No friendly email this time, just a link to their online tracking system.

"Warranty Void - Physical Damage €130 repair charge - Do you accept these charges?" - "If you refuse, the handset will be sent back in the same condition you sent it to us"

I have had the phone in a heavy duty case since the day I opened it and have literally never, not once, dropped it.

Apologies about the rant, but I very rarely get worked up over something like this, (I have never sent food back in a restaurant in my life), but this seems absolutely absurd!!

Surely something can be done about this? Also, i had the phone in a cocoon of bubble wrap and padded envelopes for both postages.

In my opinion, this is sophisticated racketeering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends what the damage is. Could be someone damaged the phone taking the sim in/out? (Sim pins etc). Could the delivery have damaged it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

get the phone back to see what damage

then take it up with samsung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mister-M5 wrote: »
    Bought a HTC One M8 in July, brand new, sim free. Registered with HTC, 1 year warranty.

Who did you buy it from? Bring it back to them. Your consumer rights are with the company you bought the phone from. Going to Fonfix is your first mistake.

Advertisement