Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline Thread 27/11/2014 to 10/02/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

PauloMN wrote: »
    That was shíte today.

About average so. Of course, after Funny Friday tomorrow. it'll seem like a masterpiece of broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Flukey wrote: »
    Why wait? The more sozzled you are, the better.

I would start sooner, but I have to be on stand-by outside the studio with a delivery of oxygen for Syl, so I can't be too pissed, or he might die............

Robert2012 wrote: »
    I would start sooner, but I have to be on stand-by outside the studio with a delivery of oxygen for Syl, so I can't be too pissed, or he might die............

He'll be fine. Think about it. With his material he must have died on stage many times, and he's still around. Funny Friday is good for him, because we can't get him by throwing fruit at our radios.

He'll be fine. Think about it. With his material he must have died on stage many times, and he's still around. Funny Friday is good for him, because we can't get him by throwing fruit at our radios.

Very true, although it's a little known fact that Syl is in fact dead, and is re-animated once a month for the purposes of Funny Friday, along with the rest of the FF panel. It's a handy number for RTE, because they don't have to pay anyone. Every last Friday of the month, 4 or 5 dead comedians are re-animated at around 13.40pm, and immediately go into their routine from the 1976 Burlington Hotel Christmas Cabaret.

Pure golden radio...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

That was shíte today.

Only caught the last half hour but in that space of time I heard -

- A caller pointing out the idiotic stupidity of people who spend thousands on first holy communion dresses, horse drawn carriages and other ostentatious shíte.

- A caller countering the tabloid generated hysteria created over the outbreak of ebola.

- A caller with a thinly veiled message to that woman yesterday with her son's letter to cop the fuck on.

- A taxi driver going against the bully boy tacticts conventional methods of his colleagues and actually putting customers concerns first.

- An Irish construction worker in London taking advantage of the opportunities open to him to provide for his family rather than sitting at home moaning and whinging about the government.

The biggest piece of shíte I heard while I was listening was Joe's suggestion that parents in California missing their darling sons and daughters in Boston at least have the option of walking across the continent to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Lapin wrote: »
    Only caught the last half hour but in that space of time I heard -

- A caller pointing out the idiotic stupidity of people who spend thousands of first holy communion dresses horse drawn carriages and other ostentatious shíte.

- A caller countering the tabloid generated hysteria created over the outbreak of ebola.

- A caller with a thinly veiled message to that woman yesterday with her son's letter to cop the fuck on.

- A taxi driver going against the bully boy tacticts conventional methods of his colleagues and actually putting customers concerns first.

- An Irish construction worker in London taking advantage of the opportunities open to him to provide for his family rather than sitting at home moaning and whinging about the government.

The biggest piece of shíte I heard while I was listening was Joe's suggestion that parents in California missing their darling sons and daughters in Boston at least have the option of walking across the continent to see them.

Well done Lapin,that sums the show up perfectly. Now just mail that post to Orlando..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

They do it every year for the buses and trains despite falling passenger numbers. Its a stupid logic. Pure greed in austerity times.

Classic Bus/Train Company model. The next step is falling further into the hole and bankrupty and/or a back-hander Government bail-out/subsidy.

Relatedly; I've no problem with a semi-state transport company providing services to rural areas that might never turn a profit, but if that company uses its privileged position to undercut rivals and drive them out of business, that's just dirty pool. I don't know that it's happened here, but it went on for decades across the water, with too many bus operators being pally with government and local authority chums.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

Well done Lapin,that sums the show up perfectly. Now just mail that post to Orlando..:D

You can't be sending homework to Butters, he's entitled to his holidays (as he previously pointed out) :D:D

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    You can't be sending homework to Butters, he's entitled to his holidays (as he previously pointed out) :D:D
    If we`re over here listening to this tripe don`t, you think its our duty:D to keep a fellow boardsie up to date and informed?. Think about all the time we would be saving him reading a couple of weeks worth of the LL thread.:P:P when he gets home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lapin wrote: »

Absolutely. The notion that it's easier for a New York family whose son/daughter moves to California than a Dublin family whose son/daughter moves to east coast USA - just because the first situation is on the same landmass - was bizarre... I think Joe actually realised he was talking bollocks as he was saying it!!!!

Yeah Joe, sure the guy in Silicon Valley can just hop into his car, drive across three time zones and go home for the weekend, right?

Absolutely. The notion that it's easier for a New York family whose son/daughter moves to California than a Dublin family whose son/daughter moves to east coast USA - just because the first situation is on the same landmass - was bizarre... I think Joe actually realised he was talking bollocks as he was saying it!!!!

Yeah Joe, sure the guy in Silicon Valley can just hop into his car, drive across three time zones and go home for the weekend, right?

3000 miles, or 5000 kilometres, 3 days minimum, and about $1000 in food/gas/motels...

New York to Dublin, 5 hours, about 400 quid..

Mind you, the taxi home to Mummy from the airport could be another couple of hundred...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joe did not mention driving. He said walk from Silicon Valley to Manhattan - 958 hours, 2922 miles

Just to mention, Boston is 2993 miles from Dublin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I tuned out when the two Salt a dee eart taxi drivers started having a go at each other.

Did I miss anything good after that?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Joe did not mention driving. He said walk from Silicon Valley to Manhattan - 958 hours, 2922 miles

Ah shure thats only around the corner, so to speak, if you will, moriya...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I tuned out when the two Salt a dee eart taxi drivers started having a go at each other.

Did I miss anything good after that?

Mooney!

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »

And you'd get your feet wet walking from Boston to Dublin

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Mooney!

Ah James come on,some poor fecker who doesn`t know any better may just believe you :eek:

We're about to be able to give a whole new meaning to "Black Friday".... Brace, brace, brace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Enough already - off to jump in the Shannon. Later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

About as funny as a burning orphanage

• Advertisement

Is it just me, or is the quality of the impressionists, well, dire??

Ah Bollix,I forgot about UFF,see ye on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Ah bollocks !

i forgot all about FF

:(

Is it just me, or is the quality of the impressionists, well, dire??

It is just you. The rest of us don't think that they are that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Ah Bollix,I forgot about UFF,see ye on Monday
    Ah bollocks !

i forgot all about FF

:(

SNAP :D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Turned tunein radio on to go to movies and booze but last station was RTE1 and all I heard was the husky laugh of those plonkers lol you just can't make this sh*te up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

forgot it was on too, on to newstalk for me !!

pc7 wrote: »
    Turned tunein radio on to go to movies and booze but last station was RTE1 and all I heard was the husky laugh of those plonkers lol you just can't make this sh*te up.

You can make it up, just once. Then you use it over and over and over and over and over... welll, you get the idea. I've heard so many of those jokes before, I keep having to make sure it actually is Friday afternoon and I am not listening to Playback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Ah f**k .. I didnt know about this... :(

This "give up yer aul sins" guy was funny once, but never EVER again..

Ah f**k .. I didnt know about this... :(

This "give up yer aul sins" guy was funny once, but never EVER again..

He was funny once? Well that puts him one ahead of most of the rest of them.

• Advertisement

The irony being that ever day Joe gives out every day about how the Government waste money and cronyism... How can he justify RTE wasting money on a bunch of Joe's old pals?

The head of radio should ask the guy that reads out the "Here are some numbers..." pieces on Wednesdays to do it on Friday on Funny Friday week, for some light relief during Liveline.

The head of radio should ask the guy that reads out the "Here are some numbers..." pieces on Wednesdays to do it on Friday on Funny Friday week, for some light relief during Liveline.

Or just read out Tubridy's radio figures and his wages.. Give us all a good laugh..

The thread is very slow, plodding along and even dead. It reflects the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Do they ever listen back to these shows? There's a time to gracefully retire and most of these hacks are well past it. Make me wonder what they think the target audience is - senior care homes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Jarry says 100% tax on all incomes over average industrial age - Joe gone quiet, doesn't find this funny :)

BarryD wrote: »
    Do they ever listen back to these shows? There's a time to gracefully retire and most of these hacks are well past it. Make me wonder what they think the target audience is - senior care homes??

Listen back to them? Are you crazy? Isn't listening once bad enough? When the show is over, they put the recording on a plane and fly it to Cuba. Imagine the torture the guys in Guantanamo Bay are put through. It makes water boarding look humane. They'll confess to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Tumbleweed.gif

Joe tittering away like a coy schoolgirl in the background..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Appreciated that they played my wife's song at the end without even giving her an ounce of credit!! :(

joe316 wrote: »
    Appreciated that they played my wife's song at the end without even giving her an ounce of credit!! :(

You married to June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Flicking through the stations Sunday morning and the holy man himself was on Anton Savage talking about Spirit Level and spirituality.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Flicking through the stations Sunday morning and the holy man himself was on Anton Savage talking about Spirit Level and spirituality.

Yeah, Joe was discussing people not worshipping false gods, whilst blowing his nose in a 100 euro note..

Bingo today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

While its sad to hear of anyone dying on the streets, I think too much is being made of the location where this unfortunate man was found this morning. Homeless people are found dead annually and homelessness is a problem that won't be solved by the government throwing money at the issue.

Jonathan Healy over on Newstalk was at pains to point out that the man died "only a stones throw, literally only a stones throw from Leinster House". Would he be as quick to highlight it in such a way if the body of a homeless person was found in Opera Lane?

Meanwhile, over on the News at One an interviewee claimed "if someone dropped dead with ebola on the street, the government would be on the case immediately". I should bloody hope so too. In fact I'd like the government to be all over the ebola victim - literally. But I don't see what his points have to do with the homeless problem or how they help in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

We don't even know how this unfortunate man died until an inquest takes place If deemed necessary by the coroner,nevertheless this homelessness crisis on our streets is an appaling Indicment on the government of this so called Republic .

Eh, the guy should'nt be homeless on the street.
    Homelessness should be top of the agenda with government - it is not. Location is always important with any news story - in this case near the governing talking shop

Done Deal

The detail, the detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Rogue traders ??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement