Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to uk with 2 dogs

• 27-11-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

So as above due to personal circumstances we are looking at a move to the uk and we have 2 dogs who by the time we're hoping to move next summer will be 7 and 9. They are my biggest reservation about moving, I know everything else we'll manage.

My concerns are;
    -Their ages, they're getting older and I'm going to be bringing them into a busy, built up area when they should have space and a large garden like they always have has, especially now as they face into old age
    -Living in a built up area
    -Traveling back to Ireland for visits, do we put them into kennels in the uk? or travel with them on the ferry; will they be distressed in the car while we cannot see them for that time, have enough water, space, toilet?
    Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Your dogs will adapt, that’s what dogs do.
    Living in a built up area is fine as long as your dog’s get decent stimulation and exercise etc. and at 7 & 9 they require less exertions anyway. They will be fine. Lots of dogs live in built up areas at all ages and are grand.

The ferry back is very short, lots of dogs do this regularly with no problems. Im sure there are lots of good kennels in the UK you just have to take the time and find one.

OP the best thing for both your dogs is to be with their humans, they will adapt, unless you’re thinking of leaving them with relatives or something what else is there for them?
    At their ages the chances of them being rehomed are very slim not to mention the distress it would cause them to be left behind.

No matter how stressful the move on your dogs the other options don’t bear thinking about, they are better off with you than without you. They will adapt – trust me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I honestly think that as long as your dogs are with their humans, they really wont mind where their house is! You will still bring them for their walks. Sure it will take them a little bit of time to get used to the actual house, but dogs live in the moment - if you are there, and they have each other, really what has changed other than new smells and adventures.

They are getting older , they wont need to be running mad through fields. If they are indoor dogs, they wont care that they dont have a big garden. What indoor dog do you know who will be happily out in a big garden, if his himans are indoors?? Parks are typically very good in the UK. You will soon settle in to a new routine with them.

What do you do now with them when you go on holidays? Do you put them in Kennels? They wont know the difference if they are in a UK kennel, once you find the right one.
    As for the ferry, you will have to see how they cope with travel. Are they happy in the car? If they are good travellers, you can bring them, if not you can leave them in the kennels.

Dont worry - just be sure that as long as the dogs have you and each other they really will be absolutely fine. Best of luck to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Thanks for your replies and advice.
    We would never re-home them ever! We have family that would take them but we could only expect that for a short period while we get set up over there, the family member would probably keep them indefinitely if we asked but I don't feel this would be fair on the person as its not just 1 dog and they also have a dog of their own so they'd go from 1 to 3 dogs. No I definitely want the dogs to be with us. At the minute when we go away our families and friends come to the house and look after them so we don't use kennels but yer both right in that the dogs will be happy once they're with us most of the time so using kennels the odd time wont do any harm and we'll make it work if we go! Thanks!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Also they would spend time at the minute indoors and outdoors but as they age and if we move I know they will be more indoors than out. They do like the car and travel well but the longest journey with them would've been only 2/2.5 hours. Also just to clarify when I said I had reservations about a move and the dogs there was never really any option not to bring them, I was just having concerns about how they would be with the move and the practicalities of moving with them, and this was holding me back from actually deciding 100% we were moving over, thanks for the helpfulness! :) They will be fine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Of course they will be fine. I think any one with pets will worry how their pet will be with a move.

I am an American citizen, and before coming to Ireland last time, lived without pets for years - so hard for an animal lover - because I couldnt put any dog through the trauma of 6 months quarantine. (People who do are great - I just wouldnt cope with it) When we go on holidays, it is a nightmare trying to sort our animals, especially the dogs. So everyone understands your worries about a big move to UK with your dogs.

Rest assured though, that whatever you decide to do, as long as your two dogs have you and each other, the surroundings really dont matter a jot to them (as long as they have their bed and food of course:D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement