Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i lose more weight and how?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

i am currently 5 ft 7", female and 53.5kg and was wondering should i lose more weight and how to do it seen as the lower your weight goes the harder it seems to get it off!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why do you think you should lose more weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Niamh211a

Oryx wrote: »
    Why do you think you should lose more weight?

I just want to get to my goal weight

Which is?

8 stone 2 pounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

isn't that just 1-2kg different?
    Whether you "should" lose it depends on how you look, how you feel, and so on.
    If you're fit and healthy and happy I wouldn't care about 1-2kg

• Advertisement

ya i probably dont need to lose it but ya no wen ya have a goal you just want to reach it

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

In a general since, setting weight goals is great but don't get hung up on hitting an exact weight. My opinion, once you can look at yourself and say yeah I'm happy with where I am at, then you've reached your goal.

Best way to burn fat is probably the ketogenic diet btw...

how would i go about doing that diet? sounds interesting:)

Niamh211a wrote:
    how would i go about doing that diet? sounds interesting

Google or YouTube it....

It's quicker than me explaining it here! there's tons of information available about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Why do you want to lose more weight? That weight and height gives you a bmi of 18.5. Weight is just a number...overall what kind of body are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Niamh211a wrote: »
    how would i go about doing that diet? sounds interesting:)
    High fat, high protein, less than 50g of carbs per day.

That's it in a nutshell, a bit easier than sending you to google.
    It's one way of doing it, it's not the only way, and its not the best for a lot of people way in my eyes.

As you rightly pointed out, the smaller you are the harder it is to shift. 500cals is a huge portion of your daily needs. So you simply have to rely on a smaller defecit. 250-375 cals per day and lose 4lvs over 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Niamh, why is that your goal? A BMI of 18,5 is low and not necessarily healthy.

groovyg wrote:
    Why do you want to lose more weight? That weight and height gives you a bmi of 18.5. Weight is just a number...overall what kind of body are you looking for?

lol... Weight is just a number? and you're talking about bmi.... srs

Bmi is a not something you should ever use regarding people who train anyway. It's a joke....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I feel that for your height (5'7) 8 stone 2 would be quite thin, I mean I'm only 5ft and I'm 8 stone 2 and I'm not near fat! Don't put yourself under pressure to reach a goal 'just because'. I think that goal is a bit extreme, you sound healthy for your height. :)

Trying to judge whether a random weight and height on the internet is too light or not is a bit pointless. Unless the OP was to post a photo, nobody has any idea if their frame or body comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Mellor wrote: »
    Trying to judge whether a random weight and height on the internet is too light or not is a bit pointless. Unless the OP was to post a photo, nobody has any idea if their frame or body comp.
    Well I mean if she were to be compared to me and I'm only 5ft and 8 stone 2 pounds (and I'm not anywhere near fat) then yes she would be fairly thin if she dropped down to that weight considering her height, I don't think that can be argued.

Bmi is a not something you should ever use regarding people who train anyway. It's a joke....

BMI is accurate for the majority of people - not for bodybuilders, professional athletes etc. but for your average Joe who trains, it's a good rough indication of a healthy weight (says nothing about fat vs lean mass of course).

Anyway, the point was that the OP's goal weight seems to be particularly low. She didn't give a reason as to why she wants to reach that particular goal. It can be dangerous to advise people on how to reach possibly unhealthy goals without knowing anything else about them. (I speak from experience having had a BMI of 13 at my lowest one stage and 26 at my highest).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Eight stone two sounds a bit skinny for your height (no offense meant)

You do know that dieting is addictive? Might wanna be careful....

In a healthy woman of healthy weight, her monthly period should continue; if it stops, you must stop dieting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I'm 5 ft 7 and my healthy weight for me to be happy with how I look is 10 stone, and I have quite a slim frame (very small hips, thin fingers and wrists, etc). Ideally I'd be 9 stone 9 or 10 but my body refuses to go down those few pounds, the one time I managed it my iron levels plummeted. I was once 8 and a half stone due to overworking and while I thought I looked good (was a size 8-10 for the first time ever, I'm a 12 now) others said I was looking too thin and had lost the small bit of an ass I'd had to begin with.

I really don't think that a person of 5 ft 7, no matter what their frame, can be a healthy weight at 8 stone 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I am aware BMI is not a good indicator however the OP hasn't told us anything about her lifestyle, whether she runs marathons or is a body builder. She just wants to get to a goal weight but why that particular weight?

Whats she trying to achieve by trying to get to this weight? What is overall look she wants for her body, does she want a skinny waif like look or a fit toned and muscular look? There is not really alot of info to go on!

• Advertisement

helliwen wrote:
    BMI is accurate for the majority of people - not for bodybuilders, professional athletes etc. but for your average Joe who trains, it's a good rough indication of a healthy weight (says nothing about fat vs lean mass of course).

That's fair enough, I just don't think bmi has any place in a health and fitness forum.

My opinion, the only use for bmi is in general population studies and for doctors assessing malnourished people

A good rough indication for the average Joe maybe, but no place in terms of actual health or fitness

OP, your initial question was should you lose more weight. Based on not knowing anything about you, my answer is still: No you should not.

Why? Well anyone who sees a magic number and nothing else as the only goal when dealing with food, may be storing up problems for themselves. Your stated current weight is within a healthy range, dropping it further without a specific reason, well, why do it? For me, weight is not about how your body looks, but how well it works for you, and how you feel. Now, if you had said the weight was an issue because of a sport you do, or if your measurements were critical for your job or something else, then thats specific, and a reason. But you don't seem to have a reason. I don't want to dig into your mindset when it comes to weight, only to caution that losing weight to the point of being underweight, can be a signal that your attitude towards your own body is unhealthy, and might be something for you to think on.

Well I mean if she were to be compared to me and I'm only 5ft and 8 stone 2 pounds (and I'm not anywhere near fat) then yes she would be fairly thin if she dropped down to that weight considering her height, I don't think that can be argued.
    It may well be a good weight for you. I certainly can't imagine you are fat at that weight. But I train with a girl who is 5 foot also, she's about 7st6, not in any way too skinny. If she put on 10lbs suddenly, up to 8st2, she wouldn't be "fat" but there would be some excess weight there.

My point is that different people have different ideal weights. It depends on much more than simply height.
    8st2 at 5'7" is thin, but we don't know if it's too thin. It may it may not be.
    Quoting random BMI numbers doesn't help the OP figure that out though.

The point here isn't a discussion of the merits of the BMI scale but rather concern for the OP who seems to have set herself a rather low goal weight.

Niamh, keeping in mind your other post on the accuracy of calorie counters, I'd be careful going down the road of overly focusing on numbers.
    Because once you reach that goal, what happens then?

(I really debated replying to this thread at all, but I hate to see someone being given encouragement for what looks like disordered eating. Maybe I'm overly sensitised due to my own history, but I'm worried for the OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just 2 things that come in to my head.

Op is a troll and just having a good laugh from people who actually DO work on losing weight.

OP has real issues, but not with weight, but more of her state of mind. Lets be honest, at that height that is a very low weight. OP is already skinny and she does not need to go any further. If she still looks at the mirror and thinks that she needs to drop weight, then she needs not Fitness and health forum, but the other one.

*I am not being a dick or something. Its just unusual situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

helliwen wrote: »
    Niamh, why is that your goal? A BMI of 18,5 is low and not necessarily healthy.

I really think the op has small problems!

Just a reminder to be considerate to the feelings of the op.

If I were in her place and this were back in the day when I may have posted such a question, I'd probably be thinking something like: who are they to tell me my goals are unhealthy, I know what I'm doing, they don't know what they're talking about etc. I hope the OP realises that most here aren't passing judgement but are expressing concern and I hope that some of this is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I totally get how you can be blinkered when it comes to goals and you can lose sight of everything else but the goal. It's not always a problem in and of itself.

But I would suggest taking a step back and looking at why, other than it being a goal, you feel the need to lose the weight.

And then if that's a good enough reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Niamh211a wrote: »
    ya i probably dont need to lose it but ya no wen ya have a goal you just want to reach it
    Hey Niamh, a goal weight is just an approximation, not necessarily the exact figure a person needs to reach. They might actually need to lose more weight than their goal, or less, or it might be just right. It seems to me that the first one definitely doesn't apply to you. Even if you have a very slender build, that weight seems fine for your height. If it's not fine, it might be that it's too light - it's certainly not too heavy.
    At this point, just focus on getting all the healthy, fresh foods and exercise and rest and hydration your body needs. :)

Advertisement