Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software / App for Sole Trader Accounts

Options
  • 27-11-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been using an excel database to manage my accounts for the last few years.

I am aware that there are several apps out there that you can use to manage your accounts. I spent a few hours last night reading up on various apps, and i can't make up my mind as to which one to choose (thinking of the Bullet app which is Irish owned).

As i said above, i've been using basic Google Excel sheets (one for income / expenses, and another for mileage) up until now, with a few basic formulas, along with Google Drive to store my receipts etc.

It all works fine but it is not very mobile friendly and i'd also like one system to manage all of the following:

- income / expenses
    - receipt storage / capture (store receipt next to each business expense)
    - mileage (ability to input mileage from business meetings)

Can anyone recommend an app that they have used / using? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You can use receipt bank and either xero or sortmybooks for easy capturing of invoices and receipts. The receipts can be captured on your smartphone and uploaded whenever necessary and easily exported to your online software package.

Hope this helps

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks, i'll take a look into these.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

xero.com is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

great thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Check out Bullet, should do everything you want and it's aimed at the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

capefear wrote: »
    xero.com is also very good.

can it be tailored for Irish vat rates and buying from the UK etc?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Poly wrote: »
    can it be tailored for Irish vat rates and buying from the UK etc?
    Thanks

It can. Moved over to Xero about 5 months ago, great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedFly

It can. Moved over to Xero about 5 months ago, great so far.

I've heard that it doesn't calculate correct Irish VAT returns without some advanced fiddling. Even then, it needs an accountant to give it a once over at the beginning. Has that been fixed recently? Heard amazing things about it apart from that and it's what's keeping us from moving.

Any advice?
    What auto bank feed do you use and does it work as well as its advertised?

Appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

www.bullethq.com is the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

RedFly wrote: »
    I've heard that it doesn't calculate correct Irish VAT returns without some advanced fiddling. Even then, it needs an accountant to give it a once over at the beginning. Has that been fixed recently? Heard amazing things about it apart from that and it's what's keeping us from moving.

That's the main thing I would want in a package, is there any package that can deal with VIES returns? these can be a pain in the neck

• Advertisement
Advertisement