Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B2 Visa to F1 Visa

Options
  • 27-11-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Looking for a bit of advice here. Recently got let go from my job (sad news) and I am looking into doing some travel around the US for a good few months in the new year. I have a friend in Boston who I visit regularly, twice this year. I have strongly been thinking about going back to university so one of my plans is to have a look at some universities while I am there and decide what I want to do.
    My question is if I apply for a B2 visa must I state that I am going to look at universities while I am there. In other words must I state my intent to return to study? I do not want to be refused for a B2 visa if I do something incorrectly or get refused an F1 visa if I decide on studying there.
    Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cormieman

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Looking for a bit of advice here. Recently got let go from my job (sad news) and I am looking into doing some travel around the US for a good few months in the new year. I have a friend in Boston who I visit regularly, twice this year. I have strongly been thinking about going back to university so one of my plans is to have a look at some universities while I am there and decide what I want to do.
    My question is if I apply for a B2 visa must I state that I am going to look at universities while I am there. In other words must I state my intent to return to study? I do not want to be refused for a B2 visa if I do something incorrectly or get refused an F1 visa if I decide on studying there.
    Any help much appreciated!

Hey I'm in a similar position to you. Have you got any information? I can't find anything. Im currently over in Boston on a 90day visa but going home in January, then hoping to get a b2visa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There is nothing wrong with going over on the VWP or a B2 to look at universities.
    The problem will be getting a B2 in the first place. it tends to be difficult for people from VWP to get B2s, because the embassy wonders why you need to stay 6 months rather than the 90 days of the VWP, and how you can do so without working illegally. And, ocne refused a tourist visa, you can't use the VWP, so you are stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

silja wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with going over on the VWP or a B2 to look at universities.
    The problem will be getting a B2 in the first place. it tends to be difficult for people from VWP to get B2s, because the embassy wonders why you need to stay 6 months rather than the 90 days of the VWP, and how you can do so without working illegally. And, ocne refused a tourist visa, you can't use the VWP, so you are stuck.

I know of someone who had b2 granted to allow for extensive medical treatment. I also know of someone who applied, and got turned down and has been unable to enter the country since then.

I think your best bet at the moment is to enter on VWP, play by the rules (not work, stay out the country for as long as you were in). Playing by the rules now will make the F1 a lot easier to to get in the future.

You'll be able to see more than enough universities in 3 months to help make your mind up

Advertisement