Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Kettle

Options
  • 27-11-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi guys,

About a year ago, I bought a Breville kettle and last month it started leaking large amounts of water through the base. I searched for the receipt, couldn't find it, so sent an email to them regarding the issue.

I received a prompt response, asking me to send certain serial numbers and details of the kettle before telling me it was still in warranty. They wanted me to send the kettle via recorded delivery and they would then send out a new kettle to me.

I refused the offer, saying that the cost of sending out the kettle to the UK was prohibitively expensive >€30. I paid c €45 for the kettle in the first place. They then offered to send a cheque but will only issue the cheque in Sterling. I emailed back saying a Sterling cheque was of little use to me as I do not have a Sterling account. In reply, they stated that "the offer of a refund was a goodwill gesture".

What are my rights here? I bought the kettle in Ireland with Euro. Are they obliged to refund me in Euro?

Thanks for the replies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

seems like they were being fairly reasonable tbh

I dont understand the problem with getting a cheque in sterling. Just put it into you bank account like any other cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think that was a brilliant offer. Well done Breville.

Of course you can lodge a sterling cheque to any account here!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Firstly, which shop did you buy from? That's where you should go first. If you paid by card, then a statement is sufficient for proof of purchase.

If returning to Breville, I would expect them to cover the cost of postage. And yes, you can lodge a sterling cheque to an Irish account, but you could get slammed for fees.

But end of the day, you have no rights with Breville. Breville don't have to deal with you as your contract is with the retailer. So, all in all, they've been decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Thanks guys,

Will accept the cheque in Sterling so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you should have brought it back to the shop

did you buy it with a credit card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

braddun wrote: »
    you should have brought it back to the shop

did you buy it with a credit card

No I paid cash and don't have the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Of course you can lodge a sterling cheque to any account here!

Not any (some credit unions etc), but most should be able to accept it :)

Advertisement