Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No no no, they were accidental antennae like when your headphones pick up that annoying sound when someone makes a mobile call near you. Nothing to do with the aliens plans whatsoever, just a convenient plot device to let Jeff Goldblum, who worked with satellites, view the aliens communications and see that they were running a countdown.

Thargor wrote: »
    They didn't use the satellites, the satellites were just acting as accidental antennae picking up the alien communications signal, everyone on Earth was complaining about interference until whatshisface figured out what it was...

Tut tut have you forgotten the amazin line of sight diagram. They used the satellites to bounce their signal around the planet to ships outside of LoS of each other.
    Meant the they were patched into them

Did they? I don't remember that at all and Ive been forced to watch that film at relatives houses about 7 times...

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Did they? I don't remember that at all and Ive been forced to watch that film at relatives houses about 7 times...

Pretty sure it was referenced that they were using the satelittes to co-ordinate their attack

Just realised that my confirmation thread just got necro merged by a mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pretty sure it was referenced that they were using the satelittes to co-ordinate their attack

They're using our own satellites against us!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Genuinely hope that Jaden Smith isn't in this. The guy has the charisma and acting skill of an onion.
    Loughc wrote: »
    At least onions have layers....

I know these are old posts here but it was on the page I jumped in on. Fecking hilarious!! haha!

Absolutely loved the first film, can't wait for this. Whoever the president is has huge boots to fill. Bill Pullman was awesome. "I'm a combat pilot, Will. I belong in the air" What a line!

I would echo everyone else in saying Jaden Smith better not be involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I know these are old posts here but it was on the page I jumped in on. Fecking hilarious!! haha!

Absolutely loved the first film, can't wait for this. Whoever the president is has huge boots to fill. Bill Pullman was awesome. "I'm a combat pilot, Will. I belong in the air" What a line!

I would echo everyone else in saying Jaden Smith better not be involved...

Will Smith will be president and his son will be the nonchalant hero that saves the day. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

smcgiff wrote: »
    Will Smith will be president and his son will be the nonchalant hero that saves the day. :pac:

I wonder will Jayden make it to NASA and succeed where his father failed....

...unless Will got a pass for saving the world that ONE time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

Shouldn't they just make it so Independence Day 1996 that Humans won that Battle but actually lost the war , and Independence Day 2 Is a bigger fight back, they have spent 18years fighting back and have managed to Join alien tech with there own ...and so on.

A second invasion would just run the same course as the first movie .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Joeface wrote: »
    Shouldn't they just make it so Independence Day 1996 that Humans won that Battle but actually lost the war , and Independence Day 2 Is a bigger fight back, they have spent 18years fighting back and have managed to Join alien tech with there own ...and so on.

A second invasion would just run the same course as the first movie .

Plausible.

Remember when our heroes entered the mothership in orbit. They flew past hundreds or thousands of Troop Carrier Dropships embarking invasion troops and leaving the mothership.

The backstory for the Aliens was they were like locusts. They moved their entire civilisation from planet to planet, consumed all the resources and moving onto the next planet. One could imagine that if they met stiff enough resistance on a given planet, they'd return to the mothership and move on to an easier planet. By destroying the mothership we cut off their means of retreat. The invasion force that had already left the mothership for earth before it was destroyed were now stranded. Now they had nothing to lose and would fight to the last 'man' to take over earth as their new permanent home. Maybe the new films will be the climax of that 20 year war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

see doing Roland's work from him right here on boards .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Liam Hemsworth rumoured for lead role

Vivica A. Fox is back http://variety.com/2015/film/news/vivica-a-fox-joins-independence-day-2-1201458902/

Jessie Usher will play the son of Will Smith’s Steven Hiller character from the original as Smith is not expected to return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Vivica A. Fox is back http://variety.com/2015/film/news/vivica-a-fox-joins-independence-day-2-1201458902/

Jessie Usher will play the son of Will Smith’s Steven Hiller character from the original as Smith is not expected to return

Lack of Smith is going to stick out like a sore thumb. With many of the major ones back.
    Was Bill Pullman made President for life after this? Wonder will he be in this (by I don't he mean he has had to do THAT speech at every bar, funeral and fan convention from year to eternity)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Coz Will Smith is busy doing what exactly?

Seems weird the Mom and the son are going to be in it, but Big Daddy isnt.

The only way I can see it working is, it starting again early in the morning Washington DC time and an Air Force General is shown a report

Air Force Analyst: the deep space sensor net out by Jupiter picked up this signal 26 minutes ago. The last time we saw a signal of this configuration was 20 years ago.
    General: You mean? Them? But we destroyed them?
    Analyst: We assumed it was just one ship. Maybe they've come looking for their friends.
    General: OK, I want you to wake up the joint chiefs, national security council. Ah hell, just wake everybody up.

Independence Day 2: They're back. And this time, its personal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

syklops wrote: »
    Coz Will Smith is busy doing what exactly?

Considering how some sequels from the 90s ended up I wouldn't blame him if he did go missing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Adamantium wrote: »
    Lack of Smith is going to stick out like a sore thumb. With many of the major ones back.
    Was Bill Pullman made President for life after this? Wonder will he be in this (by I don't he mean he has had to do THAT speech at every bar, funeral and fan convention from year to eternity)

To be fair, best fake presidential speech ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Liam Hemsworth rumoured for lead role

is he thor or the brother

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

is he thor or the brother

Chris Hemsworth is Thor, Liam is his brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Chris Hemsworth is Thor, Liam is his brother.

"He's adopted".

To be fair, best fake presidential speech ever.

id4-salute-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Roland Emmerich has been tweeting that Brent Spiner is on board for the sequel. Which will be a surprise, since I'm sure I recall his character getting blown up at one point.
    edit: Dr. Brakish Okun is apparently not dead, but in a coma:
    He really wants to do a sequel to ID4. He said he talked to Dean Devlin recently, and apparently there has been some deal made with 20th Century Fox and he asked Dean if he's dead and Dean said, "No. The first scene in the movie is a hammer hitting a board and we pan out and they're re-building the White House. The second scene in the movie is Okun waking up from a coma." And Brent made a joke about how it's probably Okun's Evil Twin, Lore Okun!

brentspiner-independenceday-excited-tsr.jpg

I also think it would be a nice nod to get Mae Whitman (President Whitmore's daughter) back, now that she's grown up to be a DUFF. :pac:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

bnt wrote: »
    Roland Emmerich has been tweeting that Brent Spiner is on board for the sequel. Which will be a surprise, since I'm sure I recall his character getting blown up at one point.

I also think it would be a nice nod to get Mae Whitman (President Whitmore's daughter) back, now that she's grown up to be a DUFF. :pac:

Her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Her?
    No. Egg.

Series 3 was such a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 djspunky

They're gonna ruin the first one which is one of my all time faves, it just wont be the same with Captain Hillard.

How exactly will they ruin it?

How exactly will they ruin it?

I saw a post on Facebook around when JK Rowling published her book for adults and it went along the lines of "Oh this is ruining my childhood". I also wondered how exactly?

With ID4 it will at the maximum blemish a franchise many of us are fans of, but it won't ruin the original movie for me, in the same way the three turds that were the Transformers movies didnt ruin the original memories I have of watching and playing with Transformers, or the recent mediocre Ninja Turtles movie ruined my memories of the Ninja Turtles from when I was a kid.

Its unfortunate, but if you were a child of the eighties or nineties, many of your childhood entertainment staples are now being rebooted and some work really well(The Dark Knight, Iron Man etc), and some are utter tripe(Transformers, Tobey Maguire's Spiderman, Star Wars prequels etc). I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth and if a movie is really bad, just try to ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

bnt wrote: »

Wait, that was Brent Spiner?! Feck, I need to rewatch ID4 again as I totally did not get that!

Why do people call it ID4? What will happen when the 4th movie is released?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why do people call it ID4? What will happen when the 4th movie is released?

ID42 :o

ID4-7
    Or
    ID4-July

ID4: Randy Quaid Jailbreak.

McChubbin wrote: »
    Wait, that was Brent Spiner?! Feck, I need to rewatch ID4 again as I totally did not get that!

Its 20 years later and you didn't realise Brent Spiner was in the fillum?

OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

syklops wrote: »
    Its 20 years later and you didn't realise Brent Spiner was in the fillum?

OK.

Neither did I!

I knew his face and I knew I knew him, but I never bothered to take it any further for some reason. :o

Neither did I!

I knew his face and I knew I knew him, but I never bothered to take it any further for some reason. :o

I think you need to consult that almanac of yours. And if some kid or a wild-eyed looking scientist show up looking to buy it, don't sell it to them.

Bill Pullman and Judd Hirsch returning Source

Sela Ward will be playing the President

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

I just watched Independence Day again and I have to say it's actually a pretty great film. The performances from the main guys are good, the action is terrific (they don't seem to do set pieces like the attacks any more), the build up is good, it's funny, the story threads are tied off nicely. It knows what kind of film it is. A solid popcorn movie. After all these years, I still really enjoy it.

Looking forward with muted anticipation for the sequel. Delighted most of the cast are back (especially Goldblum!).

Sela Ward will be playing the President

Had to google her, but thats good news. She's very easy on the eye.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    I just watched Independence Day again and I have to say it's actually a pretty great film. The performances from the main guys are good, the action is terrific (they don't seem to do set pieces like the attacks any more)
    Looking forward with muted anticipation for the sequel. Delighted most of the cast are back (especially Goldblum!).

I'm looking forward to this too but I also live in fear it will be a pure CGI fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm looking forward to this too but I also live in fear it will be a pure CGI fest.

Yeah this is certainly a possibility, and they won't beat the original, but it should be entertaining at least. The only thing I don't like is that neither devlin or emmerich wrote the script :/

A friend of mine in the US told me that they're going to shoot part of the movie at the pharmacy where he works next week. Interesting, the people you hang out with.

independenceday2posterlores.jpg

Wait why are people calling ID4? Surely that makes this ID4-2?

Wait why are people calling ID4? Surely that makes this ID4-2?

And ID4-2 = ID2 :P

And ID4-2 = ID2 :P

It's official. Half-Life 3 confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The first one was heavy on the CGI for all the air battles and dogfights. All the F-18 models were way off the real thing. The cockpits were very well done at the time though. CGI Harpoon missiles acting as AMRAAMs because they look more impressive ect.

The building models blowing up were not CGI and very well done, they won't look as good if they go CGI on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, Independence Day was always the first movie I remember as a CGI fest. You wanted to go see it just to see the CGI.

Funny how things have changed... I think there's a very real thing happening now that people want to go see movies that DON'T have cgi in them, or atleast where it's not the main character.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, Independence Day was always the first movie I remember as a CGI fest. You wanted to go see it just to see the CGI.

Funny how things have changed... I think there's a very real thing happening now that people want to go see movies that DON'T have cgi in them, or atleast where it's not the main character.

Independence Day may be a lot of things but a CGI fest it is not. Most of the FX work was done practically without CGI which is why scenes such as the fire sweeping through the city and the White House explosion still stand up today. Compare it to some of Emmerich's later work and you'll find that Independence Day looks a lot better than 2012 and the llke

Advertisement