Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independence Day: Resurgence **SPOILERS FROM POST 266 ONWARD**

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched it.

Special effects were good but the heart just didn't feel like it was in it.

Maybe a better writer coulda got more feels into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Awful, awful mess... where to even start:

- The whole thing rushes from scene to scene with virtually no pause at all. - They destroy London and half of the US, but no time to dwell (or even witness it really) as we have to move on to the next dull sequence.
    - Certainly didn't feel like 2 hours at least (a plus point maybe?)
    - The new cast is awful. Generic pretty people with no charisma or personality. Chinese characters/actors shoehorned in for no other reason than MARKETING
    - The characters that do return from the first have been given a personality/character development bypass in favour of rushing to MOAR CGI action!
    - The effects range from ok to awful (particularly at the end when Whitmore's daughter finds her boyfriend at the crashed ship)
    - There's never any real sense of threat despite the destruction, partly because of the aforementioned rushing from scene to scene. Besides, we have space fighters and lasers now... of course we'll win!

I could go on but this is easily the worst film I've seen in ages - even more annoying as I love the original and the first trailer for this looked great, but we'll have to go through it all again in another few years with the blatant SEQUEL setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Awful, awful mess... where to even start:

- The whole thing rushes from scene to scene with virtually no pause at all. - They destroy London and half of the US, but no time to dwell (or even witness it really) as we have to move on to the next dull sequence.
    - Certainly didn't feel like 2 hours at least (a plus point maybe?)
    - The new cast is awful. Generic pretty people with no charisma or personality. Chinese characters/actors shoehorned in for no other reason than MARKETING
    - The characters that do return from the first have been given a personality/character development bypass in favour of rushing to MOAR CGI action!
    - The effects range from ok to awful (particularly at the end when Whitmore's daughter finds her boyfriend at the crashed ship)
    - There's never any real sense of threat despite the destruction, partly because of the aforementioned rushing from scene to scene. Besides, we have space fighters and lasers now... of course we'll win!

I could go on but this is easily the worst film I've seen in ages - even more annoying as I love the original and the first trailer for this looked great, but we'll have to go through it all again in another few years with the blatant SEQUEL setup

Again what is wrong with Chinese characters. I am sick and tired of only people from the US being allpwed save the world (the reason for that is also marketing).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Christy42 wrote:
    Again what is wrong with Chinese characters. I am sick and tired of only people from the US being allpwed save the world (the reason for that is also marketing).

It baffles me, I get that it's a bit cynical to specifically market for the Chinese market but in the broader picture it makes much more sense for the global defence against aliens to be a bit diverse. And in the long run I think it will be much better. As you say, up until recently movies have been cynically marketed towards middle class white people and that was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Christy42 wrote: »

Thre's no issue with adding Chinese characters at all but at least give them something to do (especially if they're a main character) so it isn't just quite as obvious that they're only on screen to appeal to that market. But then this was obviously a "handover" film to the new generation. Maybe she'll have more to do in the next one?

There's so much wrong with this film though that in the scheme of it, it's a minor thing. The biggest complaints have to be the ridiculous pacing, the (generally average) CGI overload, and the complete lobotomy of the charm and humour of the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I thought it did everything I'd expect of a film of its type especially in this day and age. It wasn't as good as the original but the original wasn't exactly high brow stuff itself.

Seeing that the original seems to be on constantly on TV some of the fond memories I had of it seem misplaced through adult eyes. The original had better character development but it wasn't exactly paced like a Michael Mann film either, it also had that peculiar 90's trait of every single character being a wise cracking comedian (see Die Hard with a vengeance for another prime example of this).

I never expected this film to be anything other than it turned out to be, could it be better? Of course but I was prepared to abandon logic before I watched it, I turned my higher brain functions off and just enjoyed it for what it was.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolute rubbish. A typical cgi orgy from emmerich without any substance. My expectations were very low but it actually managed to fall way below that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Saw this earlier. It is terrible.

All I could compare it to was learning to drive.
    Lots of stops and starts,loads of jagging about but no real go anywhere attitude.

Big plot hole for me, first film set in 96, they had a ship is Roswell since the 40's which was identical, but come back 20 years in ships 2.0

And how did the pilot guy know the director guy. Were they drinking buddies? I mean American Air Force must be 30K or more, but you know , hey David!!

Load of crap. May as well have got pacific rim robots to fight the queen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

My god this movie is unbelievable tripe! I guess some people would enjoy it in a mindless kind of way. Afraid I am not one, just thought was pure trash.

Thankfully America was able to save the world again, backed up by a few Chinese. Co incidentally the world's 2 biggest movie markets.

I guess these "blockbusters" are now made bad so that they can be exported around the world & there is no fear of the plot getting lost in translation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus the amount of people praising this film in this thread is unbelievable, this is one of the worst films of the last 10 years and I just had to sit through it again, its a complete and utter turd, the dialog is absolutely shocking. I found myself getting angry at it like I was watching Mrs Brownes Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Thargor wrote: »
    ...and I just had to sit through it again....

bCAWCyo.gif

The only way i'd end up watching it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

As far as schlocky Sci fi B movies go, it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be. It wasn't as good as the first one, but seriously, did you really expect it to be ?

If you're looking for a sci fi movie with 'gravitas' try Arrival of Gravity.

'Resurgence' delivered what most of us expected, I'd imagine it'll be another 20 years before they make the third one though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I don't really understand the praise the original got. I was 12 when it was released and it disappointed me. I tried to like it, but I found it dull.

The sequel, as terrible as it is did not have that much to live up to. It did still fail but that surprised no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wedwood wrote: »
    'Resurgence' delivered what most of us expected, I'd imagine it'll be another 20 years before they make the third one though !!

:confused:

It did badly at the box office, critics hated it, and user response was lukewarm at best.

I don't see how that could be interpreted as the movie that delivered what people wanted or expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wedwood wrote: »
    As far as schlocky Sci fi B movies go, it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be. It wasn't as good as the first one, but seriously, did you really expect it to be ?

If you're looking for a sci fi movie with 'gravitas' try Arrival of Gravity.

Nobody in their right mind would expect a sequel to Independence Day to have 'gravitas': but the film had none of the charisma, fun or even decent set-pieces of the first film. Worst film of the year? No, but it was a pretty dull, convoluted film that cynically trying to cash in on the uptick in 90s nostalgia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was it ever explained where David's wife was?

The only decent new young character was the McLovin lookalike

Advertisement