Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising damp in Charlesland

Options
  • 27-11-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

We live in a 3 bed in Charlesland Court and have noticed what I think is rising damp in the bathroom adjoining our neigbours house. The plaster and paint have started to bubble and flake off the wall that adjoins our neigbours. There house is approx 3 feet above ours I'm concerned that the soil beneath their house is now starting to affect our walls.

We have been in the house since it was built in 2004 and only noticed the problem in the last 18 months.

Has anyone else experienced this or had to deal with a similar problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,640 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Doesn't sound good - wouldn't be rising damp, but rather damp penetration across the wall. I would be wondering how the damp proofing was completed between yours and theirs. Best call an expert for advice.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Is this inside your bathroom? could it be just ventilation problem causing internal damp? i can imagine damp building up from steamy hot showers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have seen a property in Charlesland which was found to have no damp course under the portch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 macboomba

Astrofluff, thanks for the advice. Sounds ominous but will have to get it looked at.

Jimjay it's the downstairs toilet so no problem with condensation from baths or showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is there a bathroom on the other side? You would have seen rising damp well before this if it was a construction defect.

• Advertisement

Is there a bathroom on the other side? You would have seen rising damp well before this if it was a construction defect.

The other side of the wall is the neighbours downstairs toilet. There are pipes behind the wall but the height of the damp marks and the fact that they stretch across the whole wall makes me think it's not the pipes. They start at what would be ground level in the neighbours house and go down to the floor of our room (about 3ft).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

macboomba wrote: »
    The other side of the wall is the neighbours downstairs toilet. There are pipes behind the wall but the height of the damp marks and the fact that they stretch across the whole wall makes me think it's not the pipes. They start at what would be ground level in the neighbours house and go down to the floor of our room (about 3ft).

I'd be investigating your neighbours plumbing first or your own before jumping to the conclusion of rising damp. Assuming this isn't the only adjoining wall, you would see it across the entire wall of the house not just the bathroom area.

If he has a leak in a pipe in the ground with concrete floors it would be easy for the moisture to transfer down the wall to the DPC and across the floor. If he has tiles and waterproof grout, he might not have noticed.

I'd be investigating your neighbours plumbing first or your own before jumping to the conclusion of rising damp. Assuming this isn't the only adjoining wall, you would see it across the entire wall of the house not just the bathroom area.

If he has a leak in a pipe in the ground with concrete floors it would be easy for the moisture to transfer down the wall to the DPC and across the floor. If he has tiles and waterproof grout, he might not have noticed.

Cheers. I'll talk to him again.

Advertisement