Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding pedigree of rescued long haired mini daschund

• 27-11-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if some people on this forum could help me.

My wife and I rescued Pluto, the long haired miniature daschund in the pictures below. His chip had been nuked before being abandoned in a kennels.

2diiv6s.jpg

We have met with a few people who are members of the Daschund Club here in Ireland in the Phoenix park, who said that he's definitely a pedigree, with a classical face and quite long, but stout.

They thought a lady out in Meath might have bred him, but she did get back to me saying she didn't have puppies.

We have six week shots documentation in his name (Pluto) giving an approximate date of birth, but I was wondering if there is any way that I can find out if he is indeed a pedigree? I rang the vet in Clonsilla, and they've moved to a computer system and don't have records from the time :/

A person in my area has a two year female long haired mini daschund in the same colouring, and mine isn't neutered. I'd love to breed him at some stage (he's six now) as they are beautiful pets, but just wondering if there is any way I can verify his lineage?

I'm aware he may have been imported into the UK, but I thought if there's anywhere where I at least have a chance of finding out, it might be here.

Thanks!

Jamie

v58gg1.jpg
    33l09on.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

jamiemc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering if some people on this forum could help me.

My wife and I rescued Pluto, the long haired miniature daschund in the pictures below. His chip had been nuked before being abandoned in a kennels.

There is no way of verifying his lineage which means you wouldn't get a pedigree for him either.Without that Breeding is extremely risky to the pups- he could be mating his sister for all you know.

Step away from the idea to breed him, you wouldn't be doing anyone any favours

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

i sent this post to the vets so they're going to see if they can help, but exactly, there's no way of knowing if it is his sister.

But if we can somehow find out, and he's not, then I'd love to let have a go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

His chip had been nuked before being abandoned in a kennels.

What do you mean nuked? Does he have a chip with no registered info or is it that there isn't one picked up when he is scanned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please please do not breed from this dog. For a start, hes a rescue, so between bad breeding and bad ownership this poor dog ended up in rescue, so why on earth would you want to breed from him?

You know nothing of his lines, sire/dam, health issues and so on. By not knowing any of these you run the risk of passing genetic health issues on to potential pups.

Also, if the owner of the dam is looking to use your dog, thats not registered, health checked etc then they are just back yard breeders and should be avoided at all costs.

I highly suggest you get him neutered and then if you are looking for another pup, contact the breed club and get in touch with reputable breeders and get on their waiting list for a puppy.

Also, where did you rescue him from? No rescue will allow you to breed from any animal that they rehome.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Also, where did you rescue him from? No rescue will allow you to breed from any animal that they rehome.

No decent rescue will rehome an unneutered dog without a good reason. This coupled with the fact that there doesn't seem to be a microchip and the OP seems to have the dogs original vaccination records make me think that the dog wasn't rehomed from a rescue organisation but was perhaps dumped at a boarding kennel and rehomed by them?

Perhaps the OP could shed some light but either way this dog should not be bred.

odd though...miniature dachshunds are expensive...they are a designer breed, pups go for a lot of money.Don't think I ever heard of any in the pound.

doubter wrote: »
    odd though...miniature dachshunds are expensive...they are a designer breed, pups go for a lot of money.Don't think I ever heard of any in the pound.

You would be surprised what breeds end up in the pound. Doesnt seem to matter what they cost these days.

You would be surprised what breeds end up in the pound. Doesnt seem to matter what they cost these days.

Pm'd you

Jamie, where did you actually get the dog from? What do you mean about his microchip? Surely if he has a chip it should be readable.

• Advertisement

Jamie, where did you actually get the dog from? What do you mean about his microchip? Surely if he has a chip it should be readable.

That's what I'm trying to figure. If there's no chip then he definitely isn't a registered pedigree. Having said that if there is a chip then that's not a guarantee that he is either!

Have never heard of a chip being 'nuked' either.

Toulouse wrote: »
    That's what I'm trying to figure. If there's no chip then he definitely isn't a registered pedigree. Having said that if there is a chip then that's not a guarantee that he is either!

Have never heard of a chip being 'nuked' either.

Yeah all sounds a bit suspect. Ive never heard of a chip being nuked?? :confused:

Yes if he was IKC pedigree he would be chipped so it all seems very strange to me.

The only way the chip could be nuked or whatever, if it was removed by a vet through a medical procedure.

I just did a quick google on the case of a nuked microchip- that is extremely rare. the site says that
    the microchip scanner cheat-sheet and having a talk with your vet to be sure she/he is scanning for all three chip frequencies before re-chipping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

doubter wrote: »

They're no more expensive than any other small dog really... I know quite a few people who have rescued mini Daxies that were sprung from various puppy farm raids.
    They are plagued with health problems op... Unless you know your dog's genetic lines, breeding him is a really bad plan. Breeding unknown, untested dogs is the reason why so many breeds are suffering from so many health problems in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

But if we can somehow find out, and he's not, then I'd love to let have a go :)

Breeding animals is not something that you "let have a go". Do the right thing and get the dog neutered.

Advertisement