Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing "new" car

• 27-11-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

So we are getting a second hand car, it's tax was out in September. Am I right in thinking we just tax it from 1 December when we get it? Don't want to get stuck with arrears that aren't ours :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

yes, as long as the date you take ownership on the log book is in December

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

Brilliant thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

yes, as long as the date you take ownership on the log book is in December

Just to be precise, you are liable for Tax from the date you sign the VLC. In other words, if you can wait until Dec 1st to do the deal and transfer ownership from that date you will be fine.

great, no biggie waiting a couple more days! As you can't tax it until ownership is changed, am I at the mercy of the Gards should I get stopped before I get new VRC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LavaLamp wrote: »
    great, no biggie waiting a couple more days! As you can't tax it until ownership is changed, am I at the mercy of the Gards should I get stopped before I get new VRC?

If your driving it now that most likely means that the VLC has been posted and you'll have to tax in for November

• Advertisement

No not driving it now, but once I get it and post VRC off I won't be able to tax it until VRC comes back which could be a week I would imagine, which means it can't be taxed until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You can tax it online once the transfer has gone through...you don't have to wait to receive the physical VLC, just that the ownership has been passed to yourself.
    You can check online when this has occurred.

The transfer normally only takes a couple of days once the old VLC is sent off....the new one could take anything from a few days to a few weeks to get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

LavaLamp wrote: »
    No not driving it now, but once I get it and post VRC off I won't be able to tax it until VRC comes back which could be a week I would imagine, which means it can't be taxed until then.

Seller will be posting VRC off...did you fill it out yet? He may already have posted it in which case you'll be paying for November

No nothing filled out yet, wanted to make sure what the situation was with regards arrears beforehand!
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭homingbird

just do a change of ownership next month to banish the arrears you owe the tax office the whole month of november you owe in back tax even though you only own the car a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you cant drive it if its not taxed or have it on a public road

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

braddun wrote: »
    you cant drive it if its not taxed or have it on a public road

Yes you can, Just hope you don't get caught :D

Daaryl wrote: »
    Yes you can, Just hope you don't get caught :D

LOL!! :D

Advertisement