Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching visa debit for visa credit card without additional stamp duty?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

If I want to switch from visa debit to visa credit card - what date should I do this so that I'm not paying 2x sets of stamp duty?

i.e. when is annual stamp duty applied? Want to cancel the visa debit on that date and switch to visa credit - so as I just pay the one instance of stamp duty.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

You'll pay the stamp duty on both cards regardless of when you switch, as they are different types of cards that attract different rates of duty

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

[Edit] Actually, if you close the account with the debit card before the end of the year, it looks like you won't be charged the duty on that card. Duty for Credit Cards is applied in April, for the previous year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

They're also different charges applied on different dates. Visa debit is €5 on first use and then annually in January. Credit is €30 annually in April and on closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

If I want to switch from visa debit to visa credit card - what date should I do this so that I'm not paying 2x sets of stamp duty?

i.e. when is annual stamp duty applied? Want to cancel the visa debit on that date and switch to visa credit - so as I just pay the one instance of stamp duty.

Is there a specific reason you want to rid of the debit card?

Advertisement