Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Online Ruined Game enjoyment ?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The greatest thing and worst thing about the gaming world is that there is no one way on how to make a game and can spawn a multitude of genres , ways of gaming that can be rich and beautiful all in one way.

But the ever increasing of the online social world we live in through facebook , boards , youtube (etc) we are all connected in this hub which has its strengths and weaknesses, undoubtedly the gaming has followed suit but I am unsure if it needed to be.

Theres a awful 3 letters that people hate when put together and thats DRM , while I am quite aware 80% of the time when drm is put together its not to combat piracy But for devs to create a game around social interaction , a new way of gaming but over the last 7 years expericing online aspects I cant say I am entirely thrilled.

I am strictly a single player guy and only dabbled in online couple of times. The experience of online is a different beast altogether , the insults one experience in 20mins of there time or more in a match because one player behind the mic takes games too seriously is a world I do not to be part off and it loses the fun for me.

Although all this is optional it seems they are taking online and bringing it to sp. I am nervous of the notion of all sp games being like this , seeing the mess coding around online infrustructure with assassin creed unity , driveclub and the crew experiencing multiple delays , its just not worth the time and headache for me and unsurely willing to invest in games like this.

Journey and soul series have done it right but the online is done so perfect that If i am still given the option of playing offline I can still have an amazing time.

I hate to come out and say I want these types of games to fail because I really dont but I hate to see the one aspect of gaming I love to be turned into a place where games have a higher chance of been broken mess and gamers taken gaming too seriously and ruin my experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I have next to no interest in online gaming myself to be honest. Gaming is escapism, and I don't need to be dealing with idiots in games as well as in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

You are on one Richy :pac:
    Did someone eat the last of the biscuits
    I like Co-Op online gaming - Desting, Borderlands 2 etc.
    I would not listen to or teamspeak with anyone in the opposing team in competitive PvP, I don't need that in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Cormac... wrote: »
    You are on one Richy :pac:
    Did someone eat the last of the biscuits

Worse , there no milk :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The AAA market has certainly embraced online-centric play and connectivity in more recent years, arguably at the behest of the player base. Not talking about DRM here, more so various multiplayer modes and similar online-centric functionality.

Thankfully we have burgeoning indie market to keep us stocked with quality single-player focused titles...

AMRITE, RICHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I would be mostly an offline player. I would mostly only play FIFA online and I rarely hear annoying kids while playing it. Battelfield 4 and COD on the other hand are incredibly tough to play online due to the jackasses polluting the chat channels.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    The AAA market has certainly embraced online-centric play and connectivity in more recent years, arguably at the behest of the player base. Not talking about DRM here, more so various multiplayer modes and similar online-centric functionality.

Thankfully we have burgeoning indie market to keep us stocked with quality single-player focused titles...

AMRITE, RICHY?

Aye :pac:

The greatest thing and worst thing about the gaming world is that there is no one way on how to make a game and can spawn a multitude of genres , ways of gaming that can be rich and beautiful all in one way.

But the ever increasing of the online social world we live in through facebook , boards , youtube (etc) we are all connected in this hub which has its strengths and weaknesses, undoubtedly the gaming has followed suit but I am unsure if it needed to be.

Theres a awful 3 letters that people hate when put together and thats DRM , while I am quite aware 80% of the time when drm is put together its not to combat piracy But for devs to create a game around social interaction , a new way of gaming but over the last 7 years expericing online aspects I cant say I am entirely thrilled.

I am strictly a single player guy and only dabbled in online couple of times. The experience of online is a different beast altogether , the insults one experience in 20mins of there time or more in a match because one player behind the mic takes games too seriously is a world I do not to be part off and it loses the fun for me.

Although all this is optional it seems they are taking online and bringing it to sp. I am nervous of the notion of all sp games being like this , seeing the mess coding around online infrustructure with assassin creed unity , driveclub and the crew experiencing multiple delays , its just not worth the time and headache for me and unsurely willing to invest in games like this.

Journey and soul series have done it right but the online is done so perfect that If i am still given the option of playing offline I can still have an amazing time.

I hate to come out and say I want these types of games to fail because I really dont but I hate to see the one aspect of gaming I love to be turned into a place where games have a higher chance of been broken mess and gamers taken gaming too seriously and ruin my experience.

I would suggest you find a group of like minded people and play in parties.
    Multiplayer gaming no longer gives me any satisfaction if I'm playing the 'Lone gun'.
    You will not experience any of this waffle / abusive behaviour as the only people you will be having a conversation with is your teammates.
    Online Coop / Competitive with friends can be one of the most enjoyable aspects of multiplayer gaming IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If I'm perfectly honest, I find the whole "toxic atmosphere" of online to be massively overstated. sure you get the odd numbskull here and there, but the majority of the time, everyone is relatively silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

gizmo wrote: »

AMRITE, RICHY?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've always been put off online because sometimes it takes itself too serious and most the time I just want to enjoy myself and want to be able to believe I'm awesome at games, which online can ruin.

The only online I like now is structured online racing in sims. I would never just drop into a server though. With sims online racing adds a layer of excitement that single player just can't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I rather single player myself because games actually end :pac:

When I start a game I like to know that if I work at it, it'll be finished and then I can move onto another one.

Really don't like the idea of being stuck in an endless loop playing one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've always been put off online because sometimes it takes itself too serious and most the time I just want to enjoy myself and want to be able to believe I'm awesome at games, which online can ruin.

The only online I like now is structured online racing in sims. I would never just drop into a server though. With sims online racing adds a layer of excitement that single player just can't do.

Ah, theres nothing quite like the rush of a narrow victory over a sweaty opponent. moreso If you do it via an epic comeback. Its a great sense of satisfaction seeing another team fall apart at the seams when the tide starts to turn, specially if they all have the same clan tag or emblem.

Its only then that you realise, you've become a sweaty tryhard yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If I'm perfectly honest, I find the whole "toxic atmosphere" of online to be massively overstated. sure you get the odd numbskull here and there, but the majority of the time, everyone is relatively silent.

I find it more to do with the morons who decide to blast music down their mics in lobbies, or make stupid sounds continually, or never shut up commentating on their own game. Muting is a solution, but having to do it over and over again as more idiots join becomes a job in itself.

At least in a single player game I'm the only idiot I have to contend with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I have been gaming online for a good decade now and have yet to get in one argument or be subjected to abuse that i found off putting. It really is overstated, if you play on open servers with open communication channels then maybe its worse but I generally play online in our own team speak so it is just us. If it is an open channel I leave off the headset or mute the idiots.

There is a swing back to offline from the industry, I've played way more offline games this year than in recent years, but still love BF4 or similar online nights although i do at times get jaded playing online as it is spawn, kill, die, rinse and repeat without actually achieving anything bar getting imaginary numbers to level up.

The notion of integrating everything social media related into a game is also dying off like the fad it was. We will see less and less of this over the next two years especially now that the consoles take care of much of that as default. Games releasing now were being devised two-three years ago when having smart phone or tablet integration was a "must have". Now that most see it was a huge drain on resources for something people don't use it will be shelved.

What I long for is a decent co-op online campaign. A solid 10 hour, 4 player campaign with an actual story and something to work together towards.

Ive seen quite a few people suggest co op I do not like it being part of sp because INstead of me going at my own pace I have to rush through things or rely on my co op partner not to mess up.

Resident evil 5 and 6 never benefited from this , ratchet and clank albeit a serious I am not huge on took a massive dissing because it went 4 player co op with all 4 one

A game like left 4 dead or evolve works but I dont consider it story driven games

Meh. I dabble in single player games and mostly play online these days for a quick fix. I just don't have the patience for single player games anymore. Fighting against AI bores me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I love chivalry for a good laugh online!

As for Games like D3, i prefer the single player experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I get why some people aren't fussed with online gaming, I like to just chill out and play through a decent SP game too, but surely there are more SP games than any one person can play through without dedicating their lives to it. Here's a tip... If you don't like MP games... don't play them. If some 12 year old claims to have had sex with your mum in call of duty... mute them. Simple but effective solutions to these problems.

Driveclub and The Crew were never designed to be singleplayer games right ? Besides its not like there isn't an abundance of sp racing games. I don't see how these games can be ruining your experience since you've said you are strictly a SP guy, and its long been known how these games have a big focus on MP.

Also, lets not exaggerate how common it is to be subject to insults when playing online. Unless you've only played call of duty (And even then, its still not nearly as common as people let on) then its pretty unlikely that you'll have a bad experience because of other players in 20mins... As someone who has much more data to work with than dabbling "a couple of times" my experience from playing online is overwhelming more positive than negative - You just can't get the same excitement from a SP game...

Advertisement