Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a passive house 2015

Options
  • 27-11-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi i was just wondering how much it would roughly cost to build a small 3 bed bungalow in rural area of about 1200 square feet to passive standards. just a normal rectangular shape house and cost would be for build only and not include landscape, planning or architects.
    I just need rough estimate so i know how much to borrow when looking for a mortgage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

To get the bungalow to A3 standards I would say €145k.
    That is tiling, flooring and painting done internally with decent kitchen.
    M&E costs included.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Did A3 gives Passive standard??? U-value in walls 0.175 .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 john price 31

thanks .
    would you pm me any reputable companies the build passive houses in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Jaap wrote: »
    To get the bungalow to A3 standards I would say €145k.
    That is tiling, flooring and painting done internally with decent kitchen.
    M&E costs included.

Is that not very steep?! I was thinking more like 90k

pipelaser wrote: »

Passive house starts from A1 rating, I don't think 90k will bring You close to it.
    Passive construction is all about right materials and details, so You need a very good architect to make passive house project.

• Advertisement

Passive house starts from A1 rating, I don't think 90k will bring You close to it.
    Passive construction is all about right materials and details, so You need a very good architect to make passive house project.

It's about spending less on heating than electric appliances, at best didn't spend at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 john price 31

i got quotes from €110-140 per square foot depending on level of finish and how much work i take on myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pipelaser wrote: »

You have got to be kidding me.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

galwaytt wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding me.

it cheered up my weekend I had a good giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kosice

Hi, I am also in the initial stages of planning application but hope to build a passive house. I am finding it very difficult to find suitable architects/builders in the region- could anyone recommend anyone please? Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Kosice wrote: »
    Hi, I am also in the initial stages of planning application but hope to build a passive house. I am finding it very difficult to find suitable architects/builders in the region- could anyone recommend anyone please? Much appreciated.

Did You think about building from AAC blocks like AEROC? 500mm gives passive standard shell for your building.
    Problem finding Architects and builders to go Passive is because You are looking for copy/paste Architects, but You have to look for real ones. Most passive standard houses in Ireland are timber frame and some of them imported. I was looking at some of these and notice, that U-value calculations are a bit off, with wrong insulation and no moist content in the structure taken in to account. So You have to be very careful when looking for one.
    As well, there's a lack of professionals who really know what passive house means.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kosice

Thanks for the reply. Yes I know it's hard to find a suitable architect for this kind of build, hence looking for any recommendations out there.....would be great to get any ideas on it by PM.

Advertisement