Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband download speed

Options
  • 27-11-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know or have an opinion on what minimum consistent broadband speed is required to watch live TV to a reasonably acceptable standard?

Failing that, does anyone know where I could source this information?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

For 720P streaming I would say at a minimum a stable 6-7Mb would be necessary, for 1080p streaming 10+Mb. I do know that Netflix can work well even on the most rubbish connections so it will depend on the service. I know someone with Sky Broadband which Youtube is unusable on due to constant buffering but Netflix works ok on low settings.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

yoyo wrote: »
    For 720P streaming I would say at a minimum a stable 6-7Mb would be necessary, for 1080p streaming 10+Mb. I do know that Netflix can work well even on the most rubbish connections so it will depend on the service. I know someone with Sky Broadband which Youtube is unusable on due to constant buffering but Netflix works ok on low settings.

Nick

Thanks Nick, please excuse my ignorance in this area, but what does 720P and 1080P mean? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks Nick, please excuse my ignorance in this area, but what does 720P and 1080P mean? Thanks.

That just relates to video resolution. The higher the resolution the greater the download speed required.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can get away with slightly less yoyo. 8Mb will do 1080P YT or Netflix. 5 Mb will do 720p fine. RTE overcompress theirs so it should run on pretty much anything, dunno what sky output.

As netflix give ISPs caching servers you may find it performs better than other video services on some ISPs.

Advertisement