If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundbar or Front Speaker

Options
  • 27-11-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Looking for a little guidance here please guys.

I'm currently running a Pioneer VSx527 Amp with 4 x Monitor Audio CT165 in ceiling speakers for my TV (all purchased happily from your good selves)

The speakers sound great when playing music but there is definitely something not right about TV sound coming from the ceiling.

So I've been looking at upgrading the TV sound which has led me to looking at various soundbars but now I'm wondering if a front speaker that compliments my ceiling speakers would be a better way to go?

As usual thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,283 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Looking for a little guidance here please guys.

I'm currently running a Pioneer VSx527 Amp with 4 x Monitor Audio CT165 in ceiling speakers for my TV (all purchased happily from your good selves)

The speakers sound great when playing music but there is definitely something not right about TV sound coming from the ceiling.

So I've been looking at upgrading the TV sound which has led me to looking at various soundbars but now I'm wondering if a front speaker that compliments my ceiling speakers would be a better way to go?

As usual thanks in advance. 
    Hi AShdale5.

I feel that adding front speakers would give a better sound with your in ceilings rather than a soundbar which would do away with your 5.1 setup altogether.

Would you be looking at floorstanders or bookshelfs?
    If you let me know I can post up some options as there are many many to choose from.
    To compliment the MA CT165 I would stick with Monitor Audio's.

There are the BX2 priced at £224.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/monitor-audio/bronze-bx2/moni-audio-bx2-blk

For the floorstanders I would look at either the MR4 priced at £315.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/monitor-audio/mr4/moni-audio-mr4-blk

Or the BX5's priced at £449.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/monitor-audio/bronze-bx5/moni-audio-bx5-blk

Let me know what you think or any further questions please just ask.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hmmmmm,

Personally I think you have a few options and the last one would be to add a sound-bar, and you are on the correct track looking to add a single speaker to match your ceiling speakers.

From memory the 165's have a 'steerable tweeter' and this is the very first thing to look at - if you direct the high frequencies correctly it will greatly assist in the imaging - however if you want to keep the look of the system clean and if you can still access the ceiling void then the easiest thing to do is to fit another in-ceiling speaker as a centre over the TV - the new version of the 165 is called the CT165 ( these may be the ones you have?) https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11974-ct165.aspx - they are currently just €129.99 including delivery...

If you want to SORT the issue then the best method is to add a dedicated centre speaker to match your current 165's - the 165's ideally match the BX series and the BX LCR centre is €168 including delivery https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10817-bronze-bx-centre-black.aspx 

If you wanted a bit of a deal I'd go for the MR series though - these are based on the BR series and give very little away to the BX series in performance - at €124.99 including delivery these really are fantastic:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12486-mr-centre.aspx

Finally if these are too large for your positioning we also have the Radius series - I have one Radius 180HD which I would clear reduced from £169.95 / €209.99 to €79.99 ( including delivery) & I have one Radius 225HD left that I'd clear at €99 reduced from £219.95 / €269
    http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/past-products/radius-hd/r180hd
    http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius/radius-225

Thanks again for the post & drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Thanks for the replies lads.

Just to explain my room set up is not ideal for sound (it's an open plan sitting room/kitchen type deal and the ceiling is very high over the tv, sloping downwards away from it) and I probably made a mistake going with the ceiling speakers initially.

The way they're set up is one of them is already directly over the tv which is in the corner of the room and the three other speakers are in the other three corners. It's just not right for regular tv viewing if you know what I mean.

Would the options that you've posted above still be the way to go based on this (admittedly confusing) info?

Just to explain my room set up is not ideal for sound (it's an open plan sitting room/kitchen type deal and the ceiling is very high over the tv, sloping downwards away from it) and I probably made a mistake going with the ceiling speakers initially.

The way they're set up is one of them is already directly over the tv which is in the corner of the room and the three other speakers are in the other three corners. It's just not right for regular tv viewing if you know what I mean.

Would the options that you've posted above still be the way to go based on this (admittedly confusing) info?
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ( again)

If the speaker locations are not ideal ( ie. I guess that the left hand speaker is directly above the TV ??) then the set-up really isn't ideal and placing of an centre speaker with the ceiling speakers just won't work and to ensure you get the correct audio from the correct speaker then you may have to abandon your ceiling speaker set-up and completely revisit your speakers.

If you wanted to mail us a simple sketch of your set-up position including TV, speaker and seating locations I'll have a look at it and revert with suggestions asap - you can send it directly to me at johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew    

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

If the speaker locations are not ideal ( ie. I guess that the left hand speaker is directly above the TV ??) then the set-up really isn't ideal and placing of an centre speaker with the ceiling speakers just won't work and to ensure you get the correct audio from the correct speaker then you may have to abandon your ceiling speaker set-up and completely revisit your speakers.

If you wanted to mail us a simple sketch of your set-up position including TV, speaker and seating locations I'll have a look at it and revert with suggestions asap - you can send it directly to me at johnmc@richersounds.ie

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew    
    Hi John,

Thanks for reply.

I've sent you a mail.

• Advertisement

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew    
    Hi John,

Thanks for reply.

I've sent you a mail.
    Thanks for that incredibly professional diagram!! and yes I see your point , I do think that the addition of a dedicated separate centre speaker sited under your TV will really go a huge way to resolving your issue and literally 'centre' your AV speech to the TV and leave your ceiling speakers with a far easier job to do - ie really just providing effects - your VSX527 has a calibration mic and if you do go for a dedicated centre it will initialise the set-up and you can tweak the fine adjustments to your satisfaction - at the moment the system really doesn't have a chance as the placement isn't ideal and the ceiling is really high.

I'd recommend ( subject to space) either the MR or the BX and if space is tight again I'd look at the Monitor Audio Radius ranges - I'm not sure if you have a subwoofer - but again this would add huge presence to the system.

I'm honestly really confident that if you got a centre speaker and set it up properly that it would completely transform your TV audio quality,

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew    
    Hi John,

Thanks for reply.

I've sent you a mail.
    Thanks for that incredibly professional diagram!! and yes I see your point , I do think that the addition of a dedicated separate centre speaker sited under your TV will really go a huge way to resolving your issue and literally 'centre' your AV speech to the TV and leave your ceiling speakers with a far easier job to do - ie really just providing effects - your VSX527 has a calibration mic and if you do go for a dedicated centre it will initialise the set-up and you can tweak the fine adjustments to your satisfaction - at the moment the system really doesn't have a chance as the placement isn't ideal and the ceiling is really high.

I'd recommend ( subject to space) either the MR or the BX and if space is tight again I'd look at the Monitor Audio Radius ranges - I'm not sure if you have a subwoofer - but again this would add huge presence to the system.

I'm honestly really confident that if you got a centre speaker and set it up properly that it would completely transform your TV audio quality,

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc
    I just sketched up those diagrams this morning haha

So the tv more or less takes up the entire space on that shelf in the diagram.

Ideally where would the centre speaker go? 

Anything on sizing for this lads?

Hi Ashdale5.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

John has been flat out this week. 

As soon as he gets on boards he will drop you a reply and apologies for the delay.

Apologies again for the delay - I've been pretty flat out all week, apologies!

In your setup the centre will HAVE to go either directly above or directly below your TV - any other positioning and it will further complicate your imaging issues - would you have room to squeeze a small centre in?

Apologies again for the delay and keep me posted if I can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads.

I've been thinking about this and the more I do the more I think that the soundbar option is the way to go.

I just can't see the surround sound working to satisfaction the way the room and the speakers are set up (especially with one of the in-ceilings being directly over the tv already) 

I'm delighted with the sound when streaming music through the in-ceilings and I'm happy enough to use them for this.

So I guess the next question is what soundbar to go for and whether I can run it through the amp or keep it direct to the tv?

It will need to be relatively low profile given the limited space I have below the tv.

Sorry for being a pain about this by the way.

I know I'm really being a pain in the ass with this but I've changed my mind again and think I'll go with the centre speaker alright.

If I put it on the shelf above the tv it should sound decent I think.

Also if I place it there then size shouldn't be an issue (within reason). Does give me more options?

I'm (finally) ready to pull the trigger on this today based on your recommendations so let's get this done :)

I know I'm really being a pain in the ass with this but I've changed my mind again and think I'll go with the centre speaker alright.

If I put it on the shelf above the tv it should sound decent I think.

Also if I place it there then size shouldn't be an issue (within reason). Does give me more options?

I'm (finally) ready to pull the trigger on this today based on your recommendations so let's get this done :)
    Hi Ashdale5.

The Centre speakers listed in the above posts would be the best options and the best pricing as it was given by John himself.

the 165's ideally match the BX series and the BX LCR centre is €168 including delivery https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10817-bronze-bx-centre-black.aspx 

"If you wanted a bit of a deal I'd go for the MR series though - these are based on the BR series and give very little away to the BX series in performance - at €124.99 including delivery these really are fantastic:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12486-mr-centre.aspx

Finally if these are too large for your positioning we also have the Radius series - I have one Radius 180HD which I would clear reduced from £169.95 / €209.99 to €79.99 ( including delivery) & I have one Radius 225HD left that I'd clear at €99 reduced from £219.95 / €269
    http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/past-products/radius-hd/r180hd
    http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius/radius-225 "

Let me know what you think.

Looks like the BX LCR centre is the best option to match my in-ceilings.

Might be tempted by a subwoofer to round the whole thing off if the price was right as well. Wireless ideally (not sure if this is even an option).

Might be tempted by a subwoofer to round the whole thing off if the price was right as well. Wireless ideally (not sure if this is even an option).
    Hi AShdale5.

Good choice on the BX LCR it is a great centre speaker.

Unfortunately there is no wireless subwoofer option. All the subwoofers we sell would run on a sublink direct from the amp to the sub.

Kepping with the Monitor Audio you would be looking at the MRW10 priced at £270.00 (Already a bargain)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/monitor-audio/mrw10/moni-audio-mrw10-blk
    (I could offer at £230 as a one off special along with the BX LCR).

Hi AShdale5.

Unfortunately there is no wireless subwoofer option. All the subwoofers we sell would run on a sublink direct from the amp to the sub.

Kepping with the Monitor Audio you would be looking at the MRW10 priced at £270.00 (Already a bargain)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/monitor-audio/mrw10/moni-audio-mrw10-blk
    Is that a sterling price?

Hi AShdale5.

Is that a sterling price?
    Hey Ashdale5.

Yip would be a sterling price. In Euro in would be around 300 Euro.

Ok so the subwoofer is a bit too rich for my blood at this time of the year so I'll leave that and see what the system sounds like with the new centre speaker.

Can you give me a best price delivery in euro to Cork and a delivery date for the BX LCR please?

Ok so the subwoofer is a bit too rich for my blood at this time of the year so I'll leave that and see what the system sounds like with the new centre speaker.

Can you give me a best price delivery in euro to Cork and a delivery date for the BX LCR please?
    Hi Ashdale5.

No problem at all.

Which colour do you require the BX LCR in.
    Best price would 168.00 Euro including delivery.

If you drop me a contact number in a PM we can give you a call. You you can get me on 0044 333 900 0070

Hi Ashdale5.

No problem at all.

If you drop me a contact number in a PM we can give you a call. You you can get me on 0044 333 900 0070
    Tried ringing the store but no joy.

Sent you a PM with my number

• Advertisement

Hi Ashdale5.

No problem at all.

Tried ringing the store but no joy.

Sent you a PM with my number
    Hey Ashdale5.

Thanks for the order yesterday.

We'll ship it on Monday and it should arrive with yourself no later than Tuesday.
    Once it leaves on Monday I'll drop you a PM with tracking number.
    Have a good weekend :D

Hey Ashdale5.

We'll ship it on Monday and it should arrive with yourself no later than Tuesday.

Thanks for all the advice.

Looking forward to getting it set up now. Hopefully it will sort out my sound.

Hey Ashdale5.

Thanks for all the advice.

Looking forward to getting it set up now. Hopefully it will sort out my sound.
    Hi Ashdale5.

No problem at all.

Any problems with the delivery or any questions just let me know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.