Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight & Sugar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

mrcheez wrote: »
    because you are bored with it or something? Just curious. I cycle every day and find that I'd be putting on weight for any extended periods when I'm away from the bike so why not just persist with the cycling and eat whatever you like?

Or take up swimming at a gym if the weather is the issue?

He's referring to the competitive off-season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Are you able to run? Meaning, are your joints and ligaments in good enough condition to go for 5-10k jog once or twice a week? If you're off the bike then doing some other training would keep the fitness up, also running does burn a lot of calories in very short time periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

He's referring to the competitive off-season

sorry I don't see how this prevents him cycling to keep fit?!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

because you are bored with it or something? Just curious. I cycle every day and find that I'd be putting on weight for any extended periods when I'm away from the bike so why not just persist with the cycling and eat whatever you like?

I've recently had an addition to the family so cycling has been cut from the roster of activities but will be back in the New Year. In the downtime since August I put on a stone mainly from crap eating and ultimately an addiction to bread and wheat products with sugar. Could be a lot worse but the post is really about getting into the frame of mind again with those who might have the same issue!

One of you asked about running, I actually cannot run; an ACL and hamstring avulsion (water skiing) put an end to that. My left hamstring is held together by staples and scar tissue, no working muscle unfortunately. The bike was the only means of exercise in recovery for the past 3 years and thankfully it's really helped the surrounding muscles of the long dead hammer. So much so I was able to race last year in league races and did one or two open races.

The I hit the pastries and bread and gained a stone.

That's my life story :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

chicken and asparagus with goats cheese for lunch. a whole nut sitting on my desk since the beginning of the week. Gave half of it away to a colleague.

Baby steps....

coffee with sugar again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    a whole nut sitting on my desk since the beginning of the week. Gave half of it away to a colleague.

You gave half a nut to a colleague? Apart from being pretty scabby (I mean come on, how hungry must the person be to ask for a nut you have sitting on your desk, and then you only gave half of it to them!!!), I'm struggling to think of the actual mechanics of this?

What sort of nut was it. Something like a peanut would be easy to break in half, but can't see anybody accepting just half a peanut!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0vbiRF0pAXr3X9l9lqmDxt6WP5K2Wr3JTX73cHgffa70a--zvySyZmWw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

or spin class twice or thrice a week and get out on the road where possible. Then continue to enjoy all the bourbon creams you can get your hands on! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    I've recently had an addition to the family so cycling has been cut from the roster of activities but will be back in the New Year. In the downtime since August I put on a stone mainly from crap eating and ultimately an addiction to bread and wheat products with sugar. Could be a lot worse but the post is really about getting into the frame of mind again with those who might have the same issue!

ah right gotcha ... coffee is a great appetite-suppressant I find, although downside is the irritability. Water is good too.

As someone mentioned before: honey with porridge in the morning should help with the sweet-tooth cravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mazzab

Did you have surgery on hamstring

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement