Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for Irish Artists?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi Everyone,
    I'm just wondering whether anyone knows of organisations that help artists to find work or upskill or just generally support the industry?

I've been crafting (and selling) on a small scale for years and I'm currently getting a formal art qualification. My course is something of a first step course but I'm not sure I see the benefit in continuing to study when I'll just have to go back out selling at markets again afterwards. None of my customers have ever asked to see my qualification before buying a piece!

That being said, maybe there is something I'm not aware of. Are there organisations to help artists with employment or is everyone (excepting the odd graphic designer) basically an entrepreneur?

I've been looking at the Center for Creative Practices but they don't seem that interested in Irish artists, most of their support seems to be geared at migrants. It would be odd if foreign artists have more support in Ireland than homegrown ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

The grants for the Art Council are heavily over subscribed but might be worth a punt.
    http://www.artscouncil.ie/available-funding/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joan McGarry

You might look up the Visual Artists Ireland website. It may be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭BrendanBurgess

Try the Crafts Council of Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in Ballinskelligs, Co.Kerry, there's an artist colony (Cill Rialaig) where you can stay in a restored famine house, for free, for some time. You use your surroundings to influence you and create art, you then donate some of your work to the local art gallery. I don't know how much of a profit you'd make out of it, if any, but it might be a way to spend some time/ get your work out there and meet other artists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Advertisement
Advertisement