Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing an extractor fan

Options
  • 27-11-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

The old one burned out. It was wired up to the bathroom light switch.
    Here's a pic of how it was wired (2 live and 2 neutral)
    https://www.gcloudbackup.com/s-IyhGa2il
    I got a new Manrose fan with a timer on it.
    Now I cant wire it using the existing wires.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Helmet wrote: »
    The old one burned out. It was wired up to the bathroom light switch.
    Here's a pic of how it was wired (2 live and 2 neutral)
    https://www.gcloudbackup.com/s-IyhGa2il
    I got a new Manrose fan with a timer on it.
    Now I cant wire it using the existing wires.

You have 3 easy options:

1. Return fan to shop
    2. Disconnect timer inside fan (2 wires that lead onto pcb normally black in colour) - fan and light will work via switch
    3. Put 2 lives into 2 live terminals on fan then loop lives. fan and light will work via switch

Turn off power goes without saying, id personally disconnect the pcb as theres no use in using it if not needed.

You have an option 4 of running a permanent live from switch to fan also, then you have a timing facility.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Par1 wrote: »
    You have 3 easy options:

1. Return fan to shop
    2. Disconnect timer inside fan (2 wires that lead onto pcb normally black in colour) - fan and light will work via switch
    3. Put 2 lives into 2 live terminals on fan then loop lives. fan and light will work via switch

Turn off power goes without saying, id personally disconnect the pcb as theres no use in using it if not needed.

You have an option 4 of running a permanent live from switch to fan also, then you have a timing facility.

Best of luck with it

Thanks a million for that. Looking at option 3, what do you mean by "loop lives " .
    Apologies if this is a thick question.

Thanks a million for that. Looking at option 3, what do you mean by "loop lives " .
    Apologies if this is a thick question.
    #

'Loop lives' means link switched live and permanent live together with a piece of cable so then the fan always sees a live on both S/L and P/L when switch is turned on...basically you are just simulating 2 lives to both contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Par1 wrote: »
    #

'Loop lives' means link switched live and permanent live together with a piece of cable so then the fan always sees a live on both S/L and P/L when switch is turned on...basically you are just simulating 2 lives to both contacts

Brilliant I'll give that a go tomorrow, thanks a million!

Brilliant I'll give that a go tomorrow, thanks a million!

Good luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement