Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you talk to yourself on single player games?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭

What side of the line do you stand on here? I'm basically silent during my single player runs, but other gamers like to vocalize and talk a bit during the game, even if it's just an obscene interjection. I'd feel a bit weird talking out loud at the game if there's nobody else there. Do you find it a good release or do you prefer to keep the narrative of what you're doing in your head?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Other than swearing, such as calling the AI a c*nt, I'm usually silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I do from time to time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Of course I do. I always need advice from an expert.

Actually, I mute everyone in the game. I prefer to focus in the game itself, rather having to hear someone else saying that someone's else mother is a professional woman that provides sexual services in exchange of currency (even if it may be true).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nba 2k15 has me shouting the house down with obseneties when the AI is annoying and shouting in celebration when i make a good play, only single player game that really makes me vocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Nba 2k15 has me shouting the house down with obseneties when the AI is annoying and shouting in celebration when i make a good play, only single player game that really makes me vocal.

Just about to post the same. Hit a buzzer beater the other day and literally lost the plot, shouting "I am the best" "what a play" etc for about 5mins. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

briany wrote: »
    What side of the line do you stand on here? I'm basically silent during my single player runs, but other gamers like to vocalize and talk a bit during the game, even if it's just an obscene interjection. I'd feel a bit weird talking out loud at the game if there's nobody else there. Do you find it a good release or do you prefer to keep the narrative of what you're doing in your head?

I am well and truly over the line, my better half reckons I would be committed if anyone heard what comes out of my mouth while playing Dark souls. Sorry must rephrase that it should say Trying to play Dark souls :o

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

I tend to just shout at the pirates in far cry 3 :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Other than swearing, such as calling the AI a c*nt, I'm usually silent.

Pretty much this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'll sometimes make a remark at some things like "Yeah right," if there's an obvious liar in The Witcher or just curse at Tekken online here and there. No roleplay or anything, though.

I'm really surprised this is a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lots of swearing, and a good bit of huzzah etc if something good happens.

Also, games with maps, I'll find myself saying "right, back two rooms, left there, right there..." etc., "Donie, where is that f***in key" etc

Can often be found putting the controller down and standing with my hands in the air if i, for example, get three stars in a Mario Kart Grand Prix. That sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,799 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I find the older I get, the more I talk to myself out loud. It doesn't stop with games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Curse at AI alot in FPS's.

In flight sims I find myself pleading with my aircraft for more power when evading AAA or SAMs.

"Come on you f***! Pull pull!!! Thats it you bi**h"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I never have to talk to myself, I have children.

"Daaaad, why is he there, Daaaad, do you have to kill him, Daaaad, why do keep dying over and over again in the same place?" Etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

only to say "uh oh" when i find numerous health packs or potions and a cave/door.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Good to see so many still enjoying single player games especially now when its all multiplayer online this and multiplayer online that. Sorry OP for going off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

p38 wrote: »
    Good to see so many still enjoying single player games especially now when its all multiplayer online this and multiplayer online that. Sorry OP for going off topic

OT but you buy Sp games for SP and MP games for MP. Dont understand why people hate when one of the 2 is tacked onto the game they wanted to buy. Your not going to play the part you didnt want so dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

well I remember talking to the game many times during my Dark Soul play through, most sentences starting with the letter F.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

Recently I kept cursing myself when trying to capture a specific outpost in Far Cry 4. I was attempting to do it without being spotted or one of the two alarms being activated and I kept messing up, over and over again. Was particularly frustrating as I hadn't had trouble with the 12 outposts I had captured before this. Eventually I gave up and when in with an rpg. :(

Mostly in sp games I'm quiet except when you've died like 2 dozen times trying to complete the same section. Like the bloody joker fight in Arkham City that I still can't complete 10 months later.

In mp games i'm quiet on mic but I'm laughing my head off constantly cause I love trolling people who take the game too seriously with my cheesy kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yes, I would talk to myself playing single player games. Sometimes I would give the AI a good roasting for being ****. Other times, I need a pep talk when I have died at a spot a few times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Only whenever I play Football Manager. Then I'll mark out a square in front of the PC and prowl around it in a suit, shouting obscenities at my players and insisting that they 'get rid of it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Does commentating on your Fifa Career mode by yourself count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I never have to talk to myself, I have children.

"Daaaad, why is he there, Daaaad, do you have to kill him, Daaaad, why do keep dying over and over again in the same place?" Etc!

I get the oddest questions and suggestion from my kids.

Can he go into that shop and buy some sweets?

Can he not stick himself to the side of the building and turn himself invisible? Why not?

Wouldn't it be great if he could get a jet pack and fly off and get his lunch somewhere?

I got totally stung playing FarCry 3 a while ago. I was playing a bit of it while the missus was flicking through the internet on her laptop. She looks up just as I'm skinning an animal and is horrified by what she sees. 'Don't worry' says I, calming her down, 'I don't play it in front of the young 'uns'

In walks the 6 year old and I pause the game to show my responsibility as an adult.

Child:."Oh Daddy, you're playing this one again."
    Me: "You've never seen this before"
    Child:."it's the one where you shoot and kill the animals and there's blood everywhere!!"

That's the day I learnt that I was unable to telepathically tell my child to shut the fúck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I make faces according to the missus, she gets a kick out of it, and i never talk on multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

o1s1n wrote: »
    I find the older I get, the more I talk to myself out loud. It doesn't stop with games :(

Noticing this myself.

Anyway, yeah, i talk to myself a lot when playing any games. Shouting at something stupid i just done, cheering when i've done something right, gasps of shock and awe at amazing moments in gaming, remembering just in time that my TV is slim and the controller won't bounce off it. Suppose i just get caught up in it, and get really immersed! Mate of mine moved in a couple of weeks ago, and he says he can hear me talking to myself, and can tell what game i'm playing just by the comments i'm making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

When failing horribly it's usually either a loud
    'FFS' or a low drawn out out 'Oh Bollix', and yeah 'this AI is fking bull****!

Then there's the ones where you're actually making progress after a lot of failures.
    Yeah! Now who's the bitch, bitch!
    Hah! grumble grumble fcker grumble wont catch me like that again grumble

And the ones where everything went right from the start
    quote missing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think I'm the same as the rest of you, I make the occasional "fk sake" when blapped by something I shouldn't have been blapped by.

Many moons ago, one of the Need for Speed games on the PS2 used to cause me such raeg I'd scream at the televison when that one fking corner with an unusual clipping box would cause me to crash and loose the same race over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jackie_Green

I think all do

but when you play at night and parents are at home, you should be careful with your emotions, cause sometimes it could be a bad experience 4 u :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'm forever mouthing off at AI enemies.

"Here you wee *******, who the **** do you think you are? Just walking into me and making me drop all my ******* coins? I WAS GOING TO GET TO THE SECRET LEVEL YOU ****, COME BACK HERE IM GOING TO KILL YOU IN FRONT OF YOUR WHOLE FAMILY!! AAAAARGH!"

Usually said to like, a goomba or something. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Found myself cursing at the last of us a lot on the harder difficulties when your AI team mate starts to act the maggot and gets you killed, or just contributes nothing at all to the firefights except a dead weight.

Get very vocal during FIFA too.

Advertisement