Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essentials in motor?

• 27-11-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Just bought first car
    What should be always in a car....spare tyre
    medical box??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Spare wheel,
    Wheel jack,
    Wheel brace,
    Jump leads,

I also keep a torch, warm jacket, first aid kit and high vis vest in the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

jumper cables, fire extinguisher, emergency triangle led flash lightled the batteries stay good,tool to break window
    and cut seat belt, unuesd petrol container,a used one gives off fumes,a few tools to do repairs
    I saw a magnetic flashing light you stick on your car in a break down or crash

camera to take photos when in a crash

cheap backup camera

dash cam

blanket

extra fuses

screwdrivers

can fix a flat

rags or paper towels

tire pressure gauge

duct tape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

And Bear Grylls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

braddun wrote: »
    jumper cables, fire extinguisher, emergency triangle led flash lightled the batteries stay good,tool to break window
    and cut seat belt, unuesd petrol container,a used one gives off fumes,a few tools to do repairs

cheap backup camera

dash cam

blanket

extra fuses

screwdrivers

can fix a flat

rags or paper towels

tire pressure gauge

duct tape

And a trailer to carry this lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

cheap backup camera

dash cam

blanket

extra fuses

screwdrivers

can fix a flat

rags or paper towels

tire pressure gauge

duct tape
    You obviously bought an estate...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Ak-47 if going through a rough area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

A reliable 4x4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭suds1984

Tin of de-icer spray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Everyone so often, Aldi or Lidl do a little kit that's a fleece blanket and pillow in a neat little case: handy to keep in the car in case you're stranded somewhere. It doesn't take up much room.

I find it useful to keep a container of whatever oil my car needs so I can top up as necessary. An ice scraper/squeegee is useful for winter motoring, along with a container of de-icer. The trigger bottles are more useful than aerosol cans IME. It's also useful to keep a bottle of super-concentrated windscreen washer fluid. Aldi/Lidl do them regularly.

Make sure you know how to use the jack and wheel brace so that you're not caught out the first time you need it. Take an hour some afternoon at home to jack the car up and remove a wheel so you know how the whole setup works. It's also not unusual to find that the wheel nuts are way too tight to be removed with the wheel brace that came with the car. It can also happen that the wheels rust onto the hubs if they haven't been off for a while.

If you want to think about tools, consider what would allow you do things like change light bulbs or secure a loose hose. You're not going to be repairing a major fault on the side of the road, but you don't want to let something small strand you if you can help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Litre of oil.
    Decent torch.
    Decent size wheel wrench/brace.
    Hi-vis vest. (actually I have a coat ).

Polarized shades for when sun is reflecting off wet road.
    Phone charger.
    ice scraper.

I do have a triangle but would have swapped it for one of those plastic led pucks you throw on the ground only lidl didn't get them in.

Not sure if I have spare bulbs. Hmmm.

I think you'd cover a lot a stuff there without sacrificing too much storage space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

A driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Depends on where you plan to take the car, city street or country roads...
    Medical kit and small fire extinguisher, flashlight and jump leads are good to have - for your own sake or others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Some of the stuff I consider important which I have in my car.

Small fire extinguisher
    Spare bulbs and fuses
    Phone charger
    12v small tyre compressor if you have a slow puncture in the middle of nowhere
    Jump leads
    De Icer
    Flash light
    First aid kit
    Hi-Vis vest
    A basic socket set and screw driver set
    Some oil specially if you car has a tendency to burn some

A lot of that stuff may seem pointless but if you break down some of it can come in very useful.

Spare bulbs, duct tape, hi viz vest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rope, Duct tape, cable ties, rag and chloroform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Mobile phone and an AA subscription is all you need:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

better take my mattress out of the car as no one said its needed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

A proper wheel brace if you drive a Saxo, the one they give you is a little small thing that bends easily! Something to cut cable ties off hubcaps, I also have jump leads, I used them to help some one only a few weeks after buying them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

cheap backup camera

dash cam

blanket

extra fuses

screwdrivers

can fix a flat

rags or paper towels

tire pressure gauge

duct tape

What are you driving?? A 1980's Lada??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

With the average crash every 18 years youd have to be crash prone to need a camera for crashes...

Most of that stuff isnt needed. About the only thing you do need is a spare wheel and wheel brace/jack something many new cars dont come with any more surprisingly.

I have found a torch to be handy but Audi sell this nifty torch that fits into the cigarette lighter and charges there until needed.

• Advertisement

Fire extinguisher? Fire extinguisher? Between parents cars and my own cars which span almost 50 years of motoring between us, not one of our cars have ever gone on fire, even if you're unfortunate enough to suffer a car fire a measly fire extinguisher won't help in the slightest. Someone please explain what duct tape(whatever that is) is supposed to fix on a modern car?

lomb wrote: »
    Mobile phone and an AA subscription is all you need:D

Yep:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

duct tape everything when you see cars going in there to nct their cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, just carry a reflective vest, jack, wheel brace, knife or snips to cut off the cable ties from the wheel trims (or lock nut if you've locking nuts on alloys), phone charger and driving licence.

Make sure the wheel brace and jack work and are adequate. Also, the phone charger is needed to summon help (you will breakdown when your phone is flat) if needed as most comprehensive insurances offer breakdown assist.

As for the rest (and practically rebuilding the car at the side of the road) if you have the knowledge then by all means carry them.

Edit - Forgot to say carry a warning triangle also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fuel!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭deandean

Rope, Duct tape, cable ties, rag and chloroform.

Too much baggage there. Go for:
    Duct Tape
    Shovel
    Lime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

50p Razzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

If there is 1mm of snow expected in Dublin a pee bottle is essential as a 20 minute drive will take 4 hours. I learnt the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Spare bulbs, duct tape, hi viz vest

Don't forget to keep you breakdown assist number in the car and throw in a tow rope as well while you're at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

jca wrote: »
    Fire extinguisher? Fire extinguisher? Between parents cars and my own cars which span almost 50 years of motoring between us, not one of our cars have ever gone on fire, even if you're unfortunate enough to suffer a car fire a measly fire extinguisher won't help in the slightest. Someone please explain what duct tape(whatever that is) is supposed to fix on a modern car?

I the last 20 years I drove past far too many people standing there watching their cars on fire not to carry an extinguisher; Be it for simple peace of mind or for the "when you have it you don't need it" factor.

And even small ones are pretty powerful - When I was 15, the 1kg extinguisher that my dad carried in the boot managed to snuff a fairly raging gas boiler fire with ease.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I the last 20 years I drove past far too many people standing there watching their cars on fire not to carry an extinguisher; Be it for simple peace of mind or for the "when you have it you don't need it" factor.

And even small ones are pretty powerful - When I was 15, the 1kg extinguisher that my dad carried in the boot managed to snuff a fairly raging gas boiler fire with ease.

A gas boiler is a lot more straightforward than a car fire. Isolate gas at mains, isolate power from the main board and blow on it with extinguisher. No such isolation luxuries on a car when the fuel pipes melt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Emergency bottle of water* - either for yourself, the coolant or washer fluid.

*Emergency bottle of water = bottle of water with emergency written on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Nobody's mentioned :
    Driving license
    Insurance certificate
    :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Packet of 3? You can never be too prepared.

cml387 wrote: »
    Nobody's mentioned :
    Driving license
    Insurance certificate
    You dont need an instrance cert:confused:

• Advertisement

Nobody's mentioned :
    Driving license
    Insurance certificate

Never leave my drivng licene in the car always in wallet.

You dont need an instrance cert:confused:
    Oh yes you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭guscon

A battery pack should be carried by everyone, have one for 5 years I picked up for 40 quid. Jumped my own car a few times and saves having to use your car to jump someone else. Get a good few jumps out of it between charges. Can be used to charge phone and to (very slowly) pump up a flat tire.
    Great investment

Oh yes you do.

Surely the insurance disc is sufficient? That's all any Guard has ever looked for when I have been stopped at a checkpoint.

Oh yes you do.

Since when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I was asked for the cert at a checkpoint a year ago, disc in the window as normal. By chance I had it in the car. Leave it there now. I think the cert shows a name (you) as the policy holder, disc just connects the policy to the car, not the driver, visually anyway.

Since when?

Since you started wearing trackies and giving attitude to the ngardai...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

If there is 1mm of snow expected in Dublin a pee bottle is essential as a 20 minute drive will take 4 hours. I learnt the hard way.

Usually that would have been taken care of in the drive when defrosting the area in front if the tyres.

Since you started wearing trackies and giving attitude to the ngardai...

So you don't need to carry it :p

pippip wrote: »
    I was asked for the cert at a checkpoint a year ago, disc in the window as normal. By chance I had it in the car. Leave it there now. I think the cert shows a name (you) as the policy holder, disc just connects the policy to the car, not the driver, visually anyway.
    This is it. The disc only shows that an insurance certificate is issued for the vehicle, not if the person driving is insured.For that you need a cert.

So the answer is, since always.

This is it. The disc only shows that an insurance certificate is issued for the vehicle, not if the person driving is insured.For that you need a cert.

So the answer is, since always.

The actual answer is, as it is not an offence to not have it and you will get 10 days to produce it at your convenience, that you only need to carry it for convenience sake if you are a garda magnet.

The actual answer is, as it is not an offence to not have it and you will get 10 days to produce it at your convenience, that you only need to carry it for convenience sake if you are a garda magnet.

What should be always in a car.
    This is what the op asked,
    You gave the op incorrect information and I corrected you.Simples.!
    I am not a Trackie wearing Garda Magnet:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

it's crazy the amount of people that don't carry jump leads with them or even try to help fellow motorists . I borrowed a car last night, went into a petrol garage and the dam battery was dead by the time I came out..

I must have asked 40 people did they have jump leads and all I got was ''ah, no sorry'' :mad::mad::mad:

Lesson learned..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Cigarette lighter phone charger,
    Hi-vis jacket and coat which I have in the car for work at all times anyway,
    Amber LED dash light - work thing.

Thats about it. I suppose if I broke down I could put them to good use.

Cigarette lighter phone charger,
    Hi-vis jacket and coat which I have in the car for work at all times anyway,
    Amber LED dash light - work thing.

Thats about it. I suppose if I broke down I could put them to good use.

Land cruiser?

Break down?

???

• Advertisement
Advertisement