Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to look for when buying a record player?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,
    I was looking to buy my partner a record player as a gift. He adores music and sound quality is of the utmost importance with this. However I have absolutely no idea where to start. We have a huge amp and that to run it through if it is a new one but I'd love one that looks more vintage. I'd absolutely love some help from your good selves as I'm quiet lost and really don't want to mess it up!
    Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Thorens turntables are fantastic.

Have a look http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/thorens-turntable

After owning Ariston and KAM decks for years, I purchased a reconditioned Thorens TD 150 MK II in 2010. Dates from 1973. Great sound.

This is a good guide - http://turntablelab.com/pages/beginners-guide-to-turntables
    Avoid USB turntables - they're awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

Get him a Rega Planar 1 or if you have the money a Rega Planar 3, they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Rega's are good in my opinion, I have a RP3. Thorens also good. Dual is another good one, there's a Dual 505-3 on Adverts for decent money, with a new cartridge fitted, cartridges can be expensive. It's worth a look, if it is as described it's a good deal. And I'm not the seller in case anyone thinks I am.:cool:

Check with Cloney Audio in Blackrock, the might have 2nd hand in your price range, although Cloney a fairly high end, but good to deal with. Hifihut also, check website. Richersounds also.

Make sure his amp has a phono stage or you'll need to buy a separate phono pre-amp, these can be reasonable or very pricey, but either way check if you'll need one. As TT's were not popular in the noughties, a lot of amps didn't have a phone stage. Being able to upgrade the cartridge too is important. Some TT are manual, my Rega is, not a problem to me, but others are automatic, it's not really a big deal. Manual means lifting the tonearm and dropping it on the record yourself, and lifting it to return it at end if each side, auto means flicking a switch and it will do it for you. I think most Duals are auto. Also changing speed from 33 to 45 may mean flicking a switch or manually moving a belt, again not a huge issue IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

best place for a stylus

www.musonic.co.uk

if you're unsure they're very helpful

Advertisement