Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti water protest on saturday @2pm

• 27-11-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

are there many going????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Beaver1 wrote: »
    are there many going????

hopefully the people will come out in force :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭893bet

Nope.

I agree with water charges personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Are these protests not affecting trade in the city centre? I'm not being funny but to be perfectly honest I wouldn't go near Limerick when the protests have been taking place and I doubt I'm the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I'll be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

893bet wrote: »
    Nope.

Me too, getting sick of the whole thing to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

See ya all there power to the people:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why the hell would you have an anti-water protest ; water is fantastic :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Are these protests not affecting trade in the city centre? I'm not being funny but to be perfectly honest I wouldn't go near Limerick when the protests have been taking place and I doubt I'm the only one.

That's the point. If the cities are closed down for the couple of hours on a Saturday it will have wider affects on the country.

Cant believe that anyone is actually contemplating paying these rates. Just better to bite ones toungue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was at the last two back in October, they were well organised with a good turn out and there was no messing. There was a bit of disruption to traffic alright but saying trade was effected would have been a bit ott. People who chose not to protest still stopped for a few minutes to have a look and then went about their business as normal. Traffic returned to normal fairly quickly once the march finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Nope.

In theory, yes.

In reality - a shoddy, opaque, costly, overstaffed, bonus time again yay, quango. Jobs for the boys while the people's water is packaged up for sale to a private company. Another charge that we are already paying for. Water charges or USC, not both.

I honestly don't have a problem with Joe the metre installer, or John the garda, doing their jobs. The problem, as always, is at the executive levels.

• Advertisement

In theory, yes.

In reality - a shoddy, opaque, costly, overstaffed, bonus time again yay, quango. Jobs for the boys while the people's water is packaged up for sale to a private company. Another charge that we are already paying for. Water charges or USC, not both.

I honestly don't have a problem with Joe the metre installer, or John the garda, doing their jobs. The problem, as always, is at the executive levels.

well said totally agree

Pumpkinseeds

lets see say even one thousand people turn up ? yes it may cause traffic disruptions but i'm sure a lot of these people may even get something to eat & drink while in the city and possibly do a bit of shopping after protest so could be extra trade for city :D
    i'm sure limerick traders will miss your business on saturday now :D

Mr.H wrote: »
    That's the point. If the cities are closed down for the couple of hours on a Saturday it will have wider affects on the country.

Cant believe that anyone is actually contemplating paying these rates. Just better to bite ones toungue

The point is you're really achieving fcuk all, except turning people off shopping in Limerick city and giving yourselves an ego boost. Other cities are encouraging people to come and shop but these water protests just make people go elsewhere. Sure why would people bother going to Limerick and getting held up by protestors when they could go down to Galway or elsewhere and enjoy a day shopping:confused:

Affecting trade means that businesses will lay off staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jees, there is some amount of hysteria around here, people being layed off because there is a bit of inconvenience due a public protest passes their door. You would swear Limerick was the only city in the country that was protesting against these water charges.

afro man wrote: »
    Pumpkinseeds

lets see say even one thousand people turn up ? yes it may cause traffic disruptions but i'm sure a lot of these people may even get something to eat & drink while in the city and possibly do a bit of shopping after protest so could be extra trade for city :D
    i'm sure limerick traders will miss your business on saturday now :D

Eating? Drinking? Shopping??

Can't pay/won't pay

The point is you're really achieving fcuk all, except turning people off shopping in Limerick city and giving yourselves an ego boost. Other cities are encouraging people to come and shop but these water protests just make people go elsewhere. Sure why would people bother going to Limerick and getting held up by protestors when they could go down to Galway or elsewhere and enjoy a day shopping:confused:

Affecting trade means that businesses will lay off staff.

Pumpkin seeds i was in Dublin couple of weeks back shopping when the first national water protest took place .. it had little effect on causing disruption on people going about their business of shopping took and people seemed to just carry on as a normal saturday ? as for achiving Fcuk all have original rates of water not now been dropped etc ? personally i have no problem with people out protesting peacefully, Limerick city centre traders have more to worry about high rates from council forcing shops to close and The crescent shopping centre attracting business than a protest that will probally take 5-10 mins to pass through city centre ...

Eating? Drinking? Shopping??

Can't pay/won't pay

Eating / drinking / shopping yes have no problem

cant pay / wont pay already paying tax for water :confused: why would you pay for it twice ..

cant pay / wont pay already paying tax for water :confused: why would you pay for it twice ..

I cant understand the mass compliance with the property tax yet water charges have people in a hissy.

The top 20percent of earners pay 80% of the tax take. So the remaining 80% percent pay very little tax so most people are not really paying for it twice (laughable arguement you could apply to any tax).

We are still borrowing 10 billion a year to keep the lights on in the country. We need more money coming in. Simple as that.

Every other country has water charges. It's standard enough.

I agree Irish water was badly implemented but water is not a free resource and needs to be paid for.

I cant understand the mass compliance with the property tax yet water charges have people in a hissy.

The top 20percent of earners pay 80% of the tax take. So the remaining 80% percent pay very little tax so most people are not really paying for it twice (laughable arguement you could apply to any tax).

We are still borrowing 10 billion a year to keep the lights on in the country. We need more money coming in. Simple as that.

I agree Irish water was badly implemented but water is not a free resource and needs to be paid for.

I'd like to counter those points with talk of quangos and money squandered and everyone pays Vat and cronyism and water should never be privatised for someone else to profit from it ........... but this is the Limerick Forum and I would imagine surely this thread is to discuss how the march will affect Limerick , there are plenty of other threads on Boards to discuss the rights and wrongs of it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

There's holes and leaks all over the place, we're obviously not paying enough....

• Advertisement

There's holes and leaks all over the place, we're obviously not paying enough....

or we are but it's been squandered or used to pay bankers and bond holders .

Pumpkin seeds i was in Dublin couple of weeks back shopping when the first national water protest took place .. it had little effect on causing disruption on people going about their business of shopping took and people seemed to just carry on as a normal saturday ? as for achiving Fcuk all have original rates of water not now been dropped etc ? personally i have no problem with people out protesting peacefully, Limerick city centre traders have more to worry about high rates from council forcing shops to close and The crescent shopping centre attracting business than a protest that will probally take 5-10 mins to pass through city centre ...

But it's not 5 or 10 minutes and it's not a one off. These protests are becoming a regular event and are jamming the city centre. I would have gone into the city centre tomorrow and bought the Christmas presents as well as having some lunch somewhere, instead I ordered everything online. I'm not the only one doing that. To be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about water rates, I don't want to pay them any more than anyone else does but I don't constantly go on and on and on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

but I don't constantly go on and on and on about it.
    lol

But it's not 5 or 10 minutes and it's not a one off. These protests are becoming a regular event and are jamming the city centre. I would have gone into the city centre tomorrow and bought the Christmas presents as well as having some lunch somewhere, instead I ordered everything online. I'm not the only one doing that. To be honest, I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about water rates, I don't want to pay them any more than anyone else does but I don't constantly go on and on and on about it.

Pumpkinseeds

how is two protest marchs in over two Months becoming a regular Event ?? march starts at 2pm you could have been into town early and home before the march even started or went into town on sunday or next saturday but no you deceided to shop on line and i am totally shocked you were not even bothered to shop local and support your local city traders :)

if you dont want to pay fair enough then dont register and dont pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Does every other country have VRT ??
    Does every other country have a Property Tax, that gives nothing in return to many householders ??
    We have plenty of Taxes that most other Countries do not. Will other countries introduce these Taxes just because Ireland has them ?
    I don't believe that "every other country" on the planet has a Water Charge. Can you provide some evidence to back up this claim ?

Around 25 years ago there was a levy added to Motor Tax to cover the abolition of Water Rates.....we have been paying for water all along.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Does every other country have VRT ??
    Does every other country have a Property Tax, that gives nothing in return to many householders ??
    We have plenty of Taxes that most other Countries do not. Will other countries introduce these Taxes just because Ireland has them ?
    I don't believe that "every other country" on the planet has a Water Charge. Can you provide some evidence to back up this claim ?

Just to add to that , just because other countries have it doesn't mean that we should .
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Around 25 years ago there was a levy added to Motor Tax to cover the abolition of Water Rates.....we have been paying for water all along.

They also added to the VAT rate at the same time for the same reason and we all pay Vat .

Pumpkinseeds

how is two protest marchs in over two Months becoming a regular Event ?? march starts at 2pm you could have been into town early and home before the march even started or went into town on sunday or next saturday but no you deceided to shop on line and i am totally shocked you were not even bothered to shop local and support your local city traders :)

if you dont want to pay fair enough then dont register and dont pay

I'm not local. I live in Clare but prefer to shop in Limerick. How would I know there wouldn't be another protest next Saturday? I didn't know about tomorrows protest until I stumbled across it here. This time of year can be a hassle. You can't say that the coverage on the news of the city centre at a complete standstill wasn't inconvenient for shoppers who didn't want to protest or that it only lasted for 5 or 10 minutes. I doubt retailers want to draw attention to themselves by saying that the protests are costing them money.

Tomorrows protest will be the 3rd one. When the fcuk does it end? Like it or not the water charges are here to stay and no amount of protests will change that. So just let people get on with their shopping in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I'm not local. I live in Clare but prefer to shop in Limerick. How would I know there wouldn't be another protest next Saturday? I didn't know about tomorrows protest until I stumbled across it here. This time of year can be a hassle. You can't say that the coverage on the news of the city centre at a complete standstill wasn't inconvenient for shoppers who didn't want to protest or that it only lasted for 5 or 10 minutes. I doubt retailers want to draw attention to themselves by saying that the protests are costing them money.

Tomorrows protest will be the 3rd one. When the fcuk does it end? Like it or not the water charges are here to stay and no amount of protests will change that. So just let people get on with their shopping in peace.
    thats a bit ott ordering stuff online because theres a protest in town, the protest will be finished by 3.30, also how would it effect you, your coming form clare if your driving come in by thomandgate and by pass the protest and park in town, the march is on the main road you will be walking the path looking for presents, i think your moaning just for the sake of moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Beaver1 wrote: »
    are there many going????

Why don't all the protestors arrange one big one in Dublin?
    It would open the politicians eyes if thousands protested outside the dail rather than a few hundred

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Why don't all the protestors arrange one big one in Dublin?
    It would open the politicians eyes if thousands protested outside the dail rather than a few hundred

They have , it's Dec 10th

Advertisement