Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti water protest on saturday @2pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

I'm not local. I live in Clare but prefer to shop in Limerick. How would I know there wouldn't be another protest next Saturday? I didn't know about tomorrows protest until I stumbled across it here. This time of year can be a hassle. You can't say that the coverage on the news of the city centre at a complete standstill wasn't inconvenient for shoppers who didn't want to protest or that it only lasted for 5 or 10 minutes. I doubt retailers want to draw attention to themselves by saying that the protests are costing them money.

Tomorrows protest will be the 3rd one. When the fcuk does it end? Like it or not the water charges are here to stay and no amount of protests will change that. So just let people get on with their shopping in peace.

Pumpkin

why dont you suport your local traders in clare .. and shop in ennis
    how you did not know protest was on if you are sick n tired of people taking about water charges surely somebody would have mentioned protest in all the talking they are doing ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not local. I live in Clare but prefer to shop in Limerick. How would I know there wouldn't be another protest next Saturday? I didn't know about tomorrows protest until I stumbled across it here. This time of year can be a hassle. You can't say that the coverage on the news of the city centre at a complete standstill wasn't inconvenient for shoppers who didn't want to protest or that it only lasted for 5 or 10 minutes. I doubt retailers want to draw attention to themselves by saying that the protests are costing them money.

Tomorrows protest will be the 3rd one. When the fcuk does it end? Like it or not the water charges are here to stay and no amount of protests will change that. So just let people get on with their shopping in peace.

They tried to introduce them back in the 1980s too and they were defeated.

I'm sorry but if sending a stern message to the current Government that people have had enough of the quango/crony culture and being taxed to the hilt, causes a bit of inconvenience to you on a Saturday afternoon then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Why don't all the protestors arrange one big one in Dublin?
    It would open the politicians eyes if thousands protested outside the dail rather than a few hundred

DECEMBER 10 IN DUBLIN...
    Feel free to go along.
    Its not just about Irish Water anymore, the people have finally woken up and realised that we have been screwed left,right and centre.
    Yet those who caused the problems have walked away virtually scot-free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

washman3 wrote: »
    Yet those who caused the problems have walked away virtually scot-free.

yep Fianna Fail and now it looks like we might be getting ourselves into more trouble if Sinn Fein come into power!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

I've been to 2in limerick very well organised and the ordinary joe soap people even a few neighbours!power to the people!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Mc Love wrote: »
    yep Fianna Fail and now it looks like we might be getting ourselves into more trouble if Sinn Fein come into power!
    so whats the alternative to sf, you'd be mad to vote for Ff, Lab or FG in the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

afro man wrote: »
    Pumpkin

why dont you suport your local traders in clare .. and shop in ennis
    how you did not know protest was on if you are sick n tired of people taking about water charges surely somebody would have mentioned protest in all the talking they are doing ...

There's a protest in Ennis today as well ;).

Beaver1 wrote: »
    so whats the alternative to sf, you'd be mad to vote for Ff, Lab or FG in the next election.

Well you'd be certainly insane for voting for FF - I'd still go with FG, while I dont agree with the way they went about setting up Irish Water, the fact is we've always paid for water before, and they are just increasing it. Still not going to pay the extra until I have to.

FG are doing their best to return this country back to its former glory but its never going to be like the celtic tiger years for a long time.

Labour can run and jump, there nearly as bad as FF.

and SF ....well we all know their story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope the guards behaved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

yawn... another protest. I'm in full favor of the charge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Paid water charges in the 80's in England along with a community charge.

I heard Limerick had a turnout of 3 million people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

miece16 wrote: »

Yawn ....another troll

miece16 wrote: »

and approx three thousand people in limerick today took to the streets to say they don't agree with you :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

How was the protest?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

and approx three thousand people in limerick today took to the streets to say they don't agree with you :eek:

How many thousands stayed at home to watch Arsenal on the TV?

Well you'd be certainly insane for voting for FF - I'd still go with FG, while I dont agree with the way they went about setting up Irish Water, the fact is we've always paid for water before, and they are just increasing it. Still not going to pay the extra until I have to.

FG are doing their best to return this country back to its former glory but its never going to be like the celtic tiger years for a long time.

Labour can run and jump, there nearly as bad as FF.

and SF ....well we all know their story!

jesus are you for real about FG check back on some of there election promises ?? and yet you have no time for labour who are currently in government with FG Are you actually trying to blame labour for all the current government issue ?

SF Tell us their story I would be intrested to hear it ..
    Personally I will never vote for FG / Labour / FF again ...

SF are putting people out on the streets supporting water protests and it will gain them more votes come election time .. personally I would never give them a vote in the past but beginning to look like a serious option going forward

An File wrote: »

I don't know but can you tell me how many ?

the papers say 3000 but i think there was more like 8000 marching

The media say there was 3000 there but I thought there was more at it than at the last one , it seemed bigger , maybe I have overestimated my ability to estimate .

jonski wrote: »
    The media say there was 3000 there but I thought there was more at it than at the last one , it seemed bigger , maybe I have overestimated my ability to estimate .
    I thought it was the biggest one of the 3 and the 1st one has 6000 at it.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    In 10/20 years from now they will all be claiming they were there, aka Thomond Park 1978 when '250,000' saw Munster beat the All Blacks.

jesus are you for real about FG check back on some of there election promises ?? and yet you have no time for labour who are currently in government with FG Are you actually trying to blame labour for all the current government issue ?

SF Tell us their story I would be intrested to hear it ..
    Personally I will never vote for FG / Labour / FF again ...

SF are putting people out on the streets supporting water protests and it will gain them more votes come election time .. personally I would never give them a vote in the past but beginning to look like a serious option going forward

ha how many parties actually fulfil their promises?

SF are bandwagoners, they target the people that are down and out of luck (they've had years and years of practice) and tell people it will be alright while suckering them into their way of thinking. SF in power would only be bad for this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

SF are bandwagoners, they target the people that are down and out of luck (they've had years and years of practice) and tell people it will be alright while suckering them into their way of thinking. SF in power would only be bad for this country!

No SF'er, but what you have written above is exactly what FG/Labour did...new politics, change etc...and once they got power, they p!ssed all over their election promises. They became FF ver 2. And their early auction politics that has started over the last week or two, just enforces that. Look underneath the spin, FG have been a disaster..particularly so since the troika left the country

The mantra that SF in power would be bad, is wearing thin at best. They can't be much worse than what we have at the moment. And I think a lot of people are thinking that.

Its about time the endless flip flopping between FG and FF ( and their associated backups) has to end.. we have a farce of a country because of people voting on those lines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It does make me laugh when the protesters claim that the media are lying and under reporting the numbers who turned out. What possible reason do the have to actually do this?
    The simple fact is that there are 100,000 people living in Limerick and even if 6000 marched, that means that 94,000 didn't.

It does make me laugh when the protesters claim that the media are lying and under reporting the numbers who turned out. What possible reason do the have to actually do this?
    The simple fact is that there are 100,000 people living in Limerick and even if 6000 marched, that means that 94,000 didn't.

Perhaps most were still celebrating the 'big' rugby win on Friday night.;)
    The rest are probably people that have religiously voted for Willie and Michael all their lives and would look like clowns if they protested now.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭893bet

A SF government is a terrifying thought to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I know a LOT of people that don't care enough to march, but have still said they are not going to pay their water charges.

These marches raise awareness, and will hopefully give the people sitting at home the courage to say to themselves 'All those people marching are not gonna pay, so I won't pay either'

Marching is only part of the battle against water charges, a mass non-payment of the bills when they are sent out in the next few months is even more important imo

100,000 live in Limerick , what percentage of that are the bill payer ? and what percentage of that are actually people who would go out and march ? , I agree with you the 6000 isn't massive but , it is massive for a protest march in Limerick . I can't remember the last time I saw this many people protesting about anything .

As for the media's reporting of the figures , I think you can work that one out for yourself if you give it a bit of thought and you will be all the wiser for it , a hint is , it's to do with who owns it and who controls it ;)

893bet wrote: »
    A SF government is a terrifying thought to me.

so what is your alternative ? FF /FG again ?

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    No SF'er, but what you have written above is exactly what FG/Labour did...new politics, change etc...and once they got power, they p!ssed all over their election promises. They became FF ver 2. And their early auction politics that has started over the last week or two, just enforces that. Look underneath the spin, FG have been a disaster..particularly so since the troika left the country

The mantra that SF in power would be bad, is wearing thin at best. They can't be much worse than what we have at the moment. And I think a lot of people are thinking that.

Its about time the endless flip flopping between FG and FF ( and their associated backups) has to end.. we have a farce of a country because of people voting on those lines.

vkid
    good post ... i was a labour voter for many a year :mad: but never again I think we should call Sinn Fien's bluff and if they get voted in to power and don't deliver on promises then they are finished for future elections

Advertisement