Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage 3 series, new timing chain

Options
  • 27-11-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking at an '08 3 series 320d touring with just over 100k on the clock. Full service history, good nick. Having read the horror stories on here about the N47 engine, would normally steer well clear, but a new timing chain kit has just been installed.

Anything else I should be wary of for a car that's seen this much running? Asking price is €13k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

These are not known for their reliability. Turbos, Flywheels, etc all go. I know of two 08s which have had over 2000 put into them in the last year to keep them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole being honest. They are ticking time bombs. Such a shame as they are lovely cars otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Fuxake

Know a guy with an 08 318d. Bought it new. As soon as the warranty ran out, so did his luck. Nearly broke him. Clutch, flywheel, transmission, feeble wishbone snapped for no good reason. Then the engine. Everytime he swore to trade it, something went and he said he'd have to hold it for a while to get the cost of the repairs back and so the circle goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

is 13k not a little steep on a car that is about to go 7 years old? the mileage would be below average if anything for an 08 diesel...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/3-series/used-2007-bmw-3-series-320-d-es-t-dublin-fpa-106914169383053060

there is an 07, asking E2050 less, with the 68k on the clock, with the reliable engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

i'd say get a 06/07 with M47 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

The thing is that if the timing chain break on post 08 n47 bmw, you may need to keep it for more than 10 years to justify the tax saving of having an 08 . :D

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is 13k not a little steep on a car that is about to go 7 years old? the mileage would be below average if anything for an 08 diesel...

there is an 07, asking E2050 less, with the 68k on the clock, with the reliable engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The thing is that if the timing chain break on post 08 n47 bmw, you may need to keep it for more than 10 years to justify the tax saving of having an 08 .

exactly the tax saving is E400 odd per year, say you have it 3 years, thats E1200. I wouldnt be paying thousands extra now and thinking about residuals, it will have two things aside from the motor tax at that stage, that will make it worth peanuts, 1) age 2) mileage...

There is an 06, 2.5 petrol there with the 218bhp engine, auto with leather interior for a reasonable price on carzone. Op do you even need a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

While Tourings are scarce which keeps prices strong, €13k is very high for a 08. I sold my 2008 saloon M Sport nearly 2 years ago and got €15k for it back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Zadig

Idbatterim wrote: »
    exactly the tax saving is E400 odd per year, say you have it 3 years, thats E1200. I wouldnt be paying thousands extra now and thinking about residuals, it will have two things aside from the motor tax at that stage, that will make it worth peanuts, 1) age 2) mileage...

There is an 06, 2.5 petrol there with the 218bhp engine, auto with leather interior for a reasonable price on carzone. Op do you even need a diesel?

Yeah - not overly concerned about the tax or that it has to be diesel, simply trying to see if its feasible to get a 3 series or 5 series touring in good nick for this kind of money that isn't going to fall apart on me as soon as I start the engine.

Zadig wrote: »
    Yeah - not overly concerned about the tax or that it has to be diesel, simply trying to see if its feasible to get a 3 series or 5 series touring in good nick for this kind of money that isn't going to fall apart on me as soon as I start the engine.
    Not feasible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Zadig

Not feasible

Suspected it wasn't, but had to ask.

I think we are all tempted when we see the likes of old BMW's and Mercs with high milage at a price that seems tempting but those who go for it frequently regret it.

If you are handy with the spanners and are willing to have a go at these things then it might be worth it but the likes of me who would only do the basics like oil filters and plugs myself it would be too much. Thankfully with the avensis (I have her for about 50000 miles 140000 on the clock now) she has only needed a few jobs done to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

I think we are all tempted when we see the likes of old BMW's and Mercs with high milage at a price that seems tempting but those who go for it frequently regret it.

If you are handy with the spanners and are willing to have a go at these things then it might be worth it but the likes of me who would only do the basics like oil filters and plugs myself it would be too much. Thankfully with the avensis (I have her for about 50000 miles 140000 on the clock now) she has only needed a few jobs done to her.

With all due respect, an Avensis is one God-awful, soul destroying car. It's a horrible, anonymous drive, one feels totally disconnected from the road. A BMW, on the other hand, is a pleasure to drive. Mondeos, Insignias, Passats and Octavias/Superbs wipe the floor with Avensis.

Horses for courses. Get a purely functional car or get one that's actually nice to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

It's a horrible, anonymous drive, one feels totally disconnected from the road.

Ever owned one?

With all due respect, an Avensis is one God-awful, soul destroying car. It's a horrible, anonymous drive, one feels totally disconnected from the road. A BMW, on the other hand, is a pleasure to drive. Mondeos, Insignias, Passats and Octavias/Superbs wipe the floor with Avensis.

Horses for courses. Get a purely functional car or get one that's actually nice to drive.
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    Ever owned one?

He doesnt even know what avensis I have. For all he knows it could be a 2.4l petrol with the same block that goes into the lotus exige, without the rough road pack that irish avensis get making it handle better. He doesnt know if it has the hydrolic or electric power steering so he doesnt know how the steering is in my car.

He is the typical clown who assumes that the unreliable bmw 320d is a great car because he like to show off the badge to his little friends.

He doesnt even know what avensis I have. For all he knows it could be a 2.4l petrol with the same block that goes into the lotus exige, without the rough road pack that irish avensis get making it handle better. He doesnt know if it has the hydrolic or electric power steering so he doesnt know how the steering is in my car.

He is the typical clown who assumes that the unreliable bmw 320d is a great car because he like to show off the badge to his little friends.

Oh you don't have to tell me about the Avensis and assumptions. I've owned many cars and for the price and quality of my old Avensis it's very very hard to beat at the price point.

Hell we could have had a rip roaring 316i in basic trim for only a few grand more..........

If you're going to compare apples with oranges at least make sure they are as nice as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

all BMW's being an excellent drive is as much a mindset as all Fiats being unreliable.

or to say, if we're talking mk2's, that a mondeo or octavia for example is better than an avensis. they are all pretty similar in fairness.

Why are you insulting me? Why the cyber-bullying?

I gave my opinion about a car. You are perfectly free to disagree with it but you are not entitled to insult me.

I stand over every line of my previous post. I think Avensis are dire. It's an opinion I am perfectly entitled to hold.

Oh you don't have to tell me about the Avensis and assumptions. I've owned many cars and for the price and quality of my old Avensis it's very very hard to beat at the price point.

Hell we could have had a rip roaring 316i in basic trim for only a few grand more..........

If you're going to compare apples with oranges at least make sure they are as nice as each other.

To be honest, when I got mine it was going to be an avensis or a mondeo. I wouldnt have touched any of the BMWs etc at my budget. I drove her to Budapest and back in my avensis this year and she is happy out. Quality is excellent.

The 316 is a car I cant understand. It is purely for someone who wants to buy a badge.

Which avensis have you?

Ever owned one?

Unfortunately, yes.

• Advertisement

OH YAWN.

What insulting and what bullying?

You made wide sweeping generalisation comments and you're being called on it now and you play the bullying card.

I don't think any further replies are needed.

I gave my opinion about a car. You are perfectly free to disagree with it but you are not entitled to insult me.

I stand over every line of my previous post. I think Avensis are dire. It's an opinion I am perfectly entitled to hold.

You didnt answer the question have you ever driven one? From your post I think you are a clown. If you are entitled to have an opinion then surely I am entitled to one too?

Unfortunately, yes.
    Really. What year, model, engine, mileage. Any pictures?

Now if you are comparing it to a similarly priced BMW, Merc or any other premium badge car I hope you are comparing like for like in terms of model. There is little point comparing a basic Avensis to a 330Ci for example........

Which avensis have you?
    I personally had a 99 Avensis myself. At the time I didn't appreciate it but looking back after owning many cars, including a BMW, I can say it was a great car that I never appreciated. I had a Corolla VVTI, again a good car, great engine and gearbox and solid build quality where it counts.

I purchased my OH a 2000 reg Avensis 2.0TD as a first car. I purchased it 2 years ago and all it's needed since are a few consumables. I love driving it tbh and none of my cars ever bored me. Even in contemporary road tests at the time they were said to have very good ride and handling for the class.

And for the record my 3 series was fine when I owned it............until of course I had some issues which forced me to sell it.......

I hope after my current car to go back to Toyota, sort of, and get a Lexarse Hybrid. I appreciate the engineering and design of them tbh. They are simply interesting.

I have an petrol 03 with the new body that year. I really liked the old TD engine. I dont know why as I am not a big diesel fan but they were nice for diesels at the time. I havent driven one in years though.

I think our new friend has gone away. Perhaps I was a tad harsh on him.

Perhaps I was a tad harsh on him.
    You're just a big bully.

I need to find oem hubcaps for mine if you have any......

I dont have them could probably track down a set for you. I pass close to a very good scrap yard fairly often and their prices are excellent. Got a buddy a cat in good nick for 15 euro a few weeks ago. I am based in cork though. Are you close?

I dont have them could probably track down a set for you. I pass close to a very good scrap yard fairly often and their prices are excellent. Got a buddy a cat in good nick for 15 euro a few weeks ago. I am based in cork though. Are you close?

It depends what you mean by 'close'. North Tipp but don't worry about it. Thanks for the offer though :)

I am in Cork and that would be a bit far from north Tipp for hubcaps. If a set doesnt show up in a breaker near you before the end of the year give me a shout. I think Cork are playing Tipp in thurles in the first round of the hurling league so i ll be near enough around then.

• Advertisement

I am in Cork and that would be a bit far from north Tipp for hubcaps. If a set doesnt show up in a breaker near you before the end of the year give me a shout. I think Cork are playing Tipp in thurles in the first round of the hurling league so i ll be near enough around then.
    :D:D:D

I'll be down in Longueville House for a wedding in mid January:p

Advertisement