Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First insurance policy for a first-time learners permit holder

Options
  • 27-11-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi guys!

I am about to get my learners permit and I'm very excited about buying my first car. I have just been looking around insurance offers for myself (Im 25 if it matters), and all the prices I saw were above 2000! Is that a joke? Is there something cheaper than that? Please, share your experience and a website of your insurance company... if it's cheaper than that :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,741 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 renemegane

I am choosing at the moment, but definitely going for something cheap just in case :)
    Was asking for a quote for Matiz 2001
    Strider wrote: »
    What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

That's about normal, if even on the cheaper side of quotes you'll get.

You just have to suck it up really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

become a named driver

You are not serious! Is that the price to pay? Isn't it a bit too much?
    That's about normal, if even on the cheaper side of quotes you'll get.

You just have to suck it up really.

• Advertisement

Excuse my English. what is a named driver? I can get my full license after 6 months only, if that's what you mean
    braddun wrote: »
    become a named driver

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

renemegane wrote: »
    You are not serious! Is that the price to pay? Isn't it a bit too much?

I am. It is what it is - Everyone pays around that much (if not higher) on their first policy.

Thanks, I thought I might have failed my Google skills exam...
    I am. It is what it is - Everyone pays around that much (if not higher) on their first policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

Mine was 945€ two named drivers 2 yrs ago.02yaris

Which company did you go with?
    foreversky wrote: »
    Mine was 945€ two named drivers 2 yrs ago.02yaris

• Advertisement

Zurich.threw champion insurance brockers.

Thanks a million, will check them out
    Zurich.threw champion insurance brockers.

Is your car still on the go?
    renemegane wrote: »
    Which company did you go with?

Yeap

Great stuff! How much was it then?
    Yeap

€2300yea man gave me €50 back too.he has a few cars on done deal now.

Please, tell me how can I find his offers on donedeal??? I am sorry for all my questions
    €2300yea man gave me €50 back too.he has a few cars on done deal now.

Pick roscommon Toyota yaris 3rd line First pic red car.

Found it! Thank you so much! Will have a look
    Pick roscommon Toyota yaris 3rd line First pic red car

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

€1770 in my own name at 18 had all lessons done, 98 corolla 1.3g6, asguard is the company and went through campions brokers,,

• Advertisement

Good luck there great little cars.let us know how u get on....

I still think it's mad what they charge... I didnt expect the price to go above a 1000!
    Conor556 wrote: »
    €1770 in my own name at 18 had all lessons done, 98 corolla 1.3g6, asguard is the company and went through campions brokers,,

Thanks! Will do indeed :) Some time in January I think!
    Good luck there great little cars.let us know how u get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Aviva do a fantastic policy for learner drivers if you have a parent already with them.

If you take their lessons (which are around 400 euro - expensive but really good!) you get six months free named driver insurance on your parents car (I got it on two policies because both my parents were aviva insured)

Following that six months regardless of passing your test or not they insure you as a fully qualified driver.

Then if you remain a named driver on an aviva policy of your parent for another six months they will automatically give you a three years no claims bonus with them on your own policy.

I can genuienly say my experience with them has been fantastic, since my parents have a full no claims bonus my insurance right now as a named driver is only 200 euro (for the full policy with my mother With AA included !!!!!) it should be around 700 when I swap over to my own policy.

----p.s. I dont work for aviva or anything, Ive just been really impressed with the service and savings ive made with them

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Aviva do a fantastic policy for learner drivers if you have a parent already with them.

If you take their lessons (which are around 400 euro - expensive but really good!) you get six months free named driver insurance on your parents car (I got it on two policies because both my parents were aviva insured)

Following that six months regardless of passing your test or not they insure you as a fully qualified driver.

Then if you remain a named driver on an aviva policy of your parent for another six months they will automatically give you a three years no claims bonus with them on your own policy.

I can genuienly say my experience with them has been fantastic, since my parents have a full no claims bonus my insurance right now as a named driver is only 200 euro (for the full policy with my mother With AA included !!!!!) it should be around 700 when I swap over to my own policy.

----p.s. I dont work for aviva or anything, Ive just been really impressed with the service and savings ive made with them

edit - for reference im a 25 yo female

Advertisement