Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for year out with History MA before starting a PHD?

Options
  • 27-11-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm currently doing an MA and want to do a PHD however considering the deadline for funding applications is january I wont be submitting my application until January 2016. My MA due date is august but I'll be finished classes in may. Ideally I want to go down the road of academic, but with a history MA what is the best type of job to be looking for based off this ideal career path? I've looked on job sites etc but there doesnt seem to be any research/university roles advertised but I'd assume its out of season for this? If anyone was in a similar position to me I'd greatly appreciate some advice as I dont want to waste the year out working in a bar/shop that isn't going to help my career prospects.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What kind of university role do you expect to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

the deadline for funding applications is january I wont be submitting my application until January 2016.

What's missing here? Why can't you submit an application for Jan 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Ravelleman wrote: »
    What kind of university role do you expect to get?

In the long run? Teaching assistant probably, lecturer is the goal but I'd love a career in academia.

What's missing here? Why can't you submit an application for Jan 2015?

I want to have a substantive piece of research done before applying, as I've not seen the application form but I gather you need to submit samples of your work?

With a thesis and hopefully a 1.1 masters under my belt I feel I'll have a much better chance of getting a research grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

it seems you began an MA in the past few months - it would be good to talk with a couple of the teaching staff on that programme about your plans, they'd be well-placed to advise

• Advertisement

howaya wrote: »
    it seems you began an MA in the past few months - it would be good to talk with a couple of the teaching staff on that programme about your plans, they'd be well-placed to advise

Yeah I was looking at the IRC application form, and I've nothing really for the publications/conferences section of the form so perhaps best to bump that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Yeah I was looking at the IRC application form, and I've nothing really for the publications/conferences section of the form so perhaps best to bump that up.

You can get IRC funding without publications or any conference participation. Most people who get funding from their first year don't have any. You don't have to submit samples of your work either.

Teaching assistant jobs with short-term contracts are quite desirable and might be difficult to get, especially with a big pool of unemployed PhD holders around.

Working as a tutor on a casual basis, as many people do, while studying at postgraduate level might be a possibility, though don't expect the hours to be good or the work to really be worth it in terms of its pay/time invested ratio.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    You can get IRC funding without publications or any conference participation. Most people who get funding from their first year don't have any. You don't have to submit samples of your work either.

Teaching assistant jobs with short-term contracts are quite desirable and might be difficult to get, especially with a big pool of unemployed PhD holders around.

Working as a tutor on a casual basis, as many people do, while studying at postgraduate level might be a possibility, though don't expect the hours to be good or the work to really be worth it in terms of its pay/time invested ratio.

How much of it is based off the actual topic then?

I've a 2.1 degree in my field (my 2nd year brought me down, had a 1.1 GPA in final year) and have been getting good grades thus far and am hoping for a 1st on my MA. I'm enjoying it much more than the BA as I get to write and research a topic I'm interested and passionate about which is what is drawing me to the PHD. However like I said I've little to put in conferences/published section and wouldn't want to leave it blank. Likewise I've not won any awards to put in that section either.

Is it a longshot with those areas likely to be weak on my application? I mean like I said Im doing great this year and my supervisor is really happy with me and on the whole researching suits me a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I know a few people who got IRCSET this year and it was more competitive than previous years - I think the overall score needed was something like 89%. But they all got it straight from undergrad - no publications, no conferences and lab experience only during college (we studied genetics).

the application is broken down into sections and points awarded for each - supervisor and suitability to you, the institution, the project etc. Most of the marks are for the project and supervisor and how suitable you are to it. So these are the key areas and it makes little difference if you have no publications etc. These are the type of things only PhDs would have any.

You need your project and supervisor sorted before the application and help from them to fill it in well but if you're in your MA now, this shouldn't be an issue. Talk to some academics in your course and see if any of them would be interested. Even if you don't get IRC, you will have the experience of the application and at least you gave it a go - that would be my thoughts anyway!

People in the IRC thread in this forum might also be able to give you a better breakdown of the marking than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

What about your letters of rec.? Those are really valuable at your stage.

• Advertisement

dyl10 wrote: »
    What about your letters of rec.? Those are really valuable at your stage.

What do you mean exactly? For an IRC application? Or past references?

What do you mean exactly? For an IRC application? Or past references?

From what I recall, you used to need letters for the IRC. Is that still the case? Would yours be strong? For the US applications, good letters are generally key to your application.

dyl10 wrote: »
    From what I recall, you used to need letters for the IRC. Is that still the case? Would yours be strong? For the US applications, good letters are generally key to your application.

The way it works is your referee fills in the letter online. I've one from my current supervisor but need to try another :/

The way it works is your referee fills in the letter online. I've one from my current supervisor but need to try another :/

It is worth doing what you must to ensure that all of your letters of recommendation are excellent.

Advertisement