Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AntiVirus problems

Options
  • 27-11-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, I have been using Avast Free Antivirus for the last year or so. When i went to update it, it asked me to purchase the latest version and wouldn't let me continue with the old free version. I deleted it and re installed it, but it still said i needed to purchase the latest version and didn't give me the option to choose a free version, so i deleted it.

I have downloaded a 30 day trial version of AVG 2015, but it is causing problems on my Samsung laptop.

It seems to be making my wireless internet connection drop. Occasionally when i search for for websites its telling me they are not available. This has only started since i installed AVG and never happened with Avast. If there was a way to install Avast again i would.

Any Info/help would be great or any recommendations on other Free Antivirus i could use.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i am still using avast free,it may depend where you are downloading from as other one was as you say 30 day trial

http://www.avast.com/en-eu/index

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I use Panda Cloud Free AntiVirus.
    I find it is the lightest anti virus software out there. I've used most of the free ones ie Avast/AVG/Comodo but personally I think Panda is the best.
    Regarding Avast, there is a free version still available so perhaps you downloaded the wrong version.
    AVG, I agree with you. We use it alot at work (I work in I.T) and I notice alot of people complaining about how slow their pc is after the install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm a great fan of Panda cloud AV too, especially on older systems that are a bit short on resources. AVG has become the Norton of old,( complete dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

"I deleted it and re installed it, but it still said i needed to purchase the latest version and didn't give me the option to choose a free version, so i deleted it."
    Have you deleted the software or uninstalled it?
    Multiple AV's installed will clash and cause system problems so uninstall them all.
    Run CCleaner registry as well after uninstall, then re-install the av.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

theres always the option of just paying for the software. At least give the people who've been protecting your computer from viruses the past year or two something for their work. Alternatively, try ClamWin - its free, you can set it to update every hour and schedule scans. its great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Thanks for that Stella

Thanks for all the replays. I will try panda cloud. Yes, IrLMonk, i deleted Avast and then re-installed and deleted it again. I only have one AV software running which is AVG but not for long.

Thanks maccored, like yourself Im happy to use a free version of AV software.

Thanks Greaspalm, yes the one i had was a trial version which i have used for the last year, but after i updated it it no longer let me use the trial version anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Is there a reason to not try windows defender? I use it along with maleware bytes and ccleaner and it keeps my laptop running fine with no signs of malware.

Thanks for all the replays. I will try panda cloud. Yes, IrLMonk, i deleted Avast and then re-installed and deleted it again. I only have one AV software running which is AVG but not for long.

Thanks maccored, like yourself Im happy to use a free version of AV software.

Thanks Greaspalm, yes the one i had was a trial version which i have used for the last year, but after i updated it it no longer let me use the trial version anymore. It detected that i was using the trial version and wouldn't let me use again.

Thanks Greasepalm, i actually managed to download the Avast 2015 version to my PC.

Advertisement