Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in cork - show me the ropes

Options
  • 28-11-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Ive moved to cork city, and wanna take up some sea / shore fishing. just looking for someone that i can tag along on with for a day or 2, just to show me the ropes (I have a rod, just need some tips on casting, fishing spots, etc). dont care what I catch, so as long as I can take it home and fry it up. thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

hi,I live in West Cork so can't do much for you !However my best suggestion to you is to join an angling club,there is a good one in Crosshaven for example. Take a spin to the Monkstown Wall(between Glenbrook ferry and Monkstown pier on a Saturday or Sunday morning and get chatting with some of the lads fishing there.You can watch what they are at and get a few tips etc.
    Tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy100

thanks, will look in to that. its far from me here

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

tommy100 wrote: »
    thanks, will look in to that. its far from me here

Heading to the wall tomorrow if u want to come down will be with my cousin who is only learning too lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you can catch eel and sharks at the harbor

use live bait if you want to catch something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

braddun wrote: »
    you can catch eel and sharks at the harbor

use live bait if you want to catch something

Thats not exactly good advise to be giving a newbie. Eels arent the easiest to handle and im not sure what kind of sharks your catching but keep that quiet. You must have a stonker of a mark so i wouldnt be making it public.

Best advise youll get is call to a good tackle shop and have a chat. Dan Lynch in Halfway Angling is as good as youll get anywhere. He knows his stuff and wont try to flog you something you dont need.
    The lads in Cork Angling by the kinsale roundabout are good also.

if you just want to catch a few fish then Monkstown is your best bet. Keep an eye on tides and fish the smaller ones over high or low water. Theres a savage current there and bigger tides will be hard to hold bottom. 5/6oz leads are usually needed. If you want fish for the table make up some pulley rigs, with 1 or 2 hooks on and whack it as far as you can. Cast up current and let the lead settle before tightening into it. Best bait is peeler crab if you can get them but lug, mussels and razor fish will do the job.
    When reeling in do it as fast as you can. Theres lot of snags and be prepared to loose a few fish and rigs there.
    Deep.water quay in cobh is another spot thats worth a go with the same tactics but you wont get as many fish there.

• Advertisement

thanks rebel, couldn't make it down this morn. might make a trip this eve for a look.

thanks rebel for all that info.
    have a sea angling rod and spool some feathers hooks. I went fishing twice before with people who said they could fish, but they ended up not knowing anything. basically need to learn the very basics, what bait for what fish, tieing hooks..floats?? spinning, casting, all the very basics. don't want to like a fool down on the pier, fishing with the wrong gear, techniques....

Thanks red, the second part above was directed towards you

Thanks red, the second part above was directed towards you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Just sent you a pm

Advertisement