Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC 2015 Thread

• 28-11-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

Last year's thread was a sucess. Posts up from the year before so I'll start another thread for this year.

Last year's thread located here

Gonna try keep a list of the players confirmed for next year too.

Dano Byrne, Jake Hyland and Karl Moore have all confirmed themselves on twitter that they've signed back.

EDIT: As have Dylaan [sic according to his twitter] Hayes and Kealan Dillon from Athlone

Rumours of Mark Rossiter, Shane Grimes (Or he could go to Dundalk), Derek Prendegast, Dean Kelly, Marc Griffin, Jake Kelly, Graham Kelly, Evan McMillan and a few others. The usual stuff at this time of year. If we get a few of them players + most of last year's squad I'd be quietly confident of pushing higher in the league.

Let the games begin...

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Apparently there'll be a presser soon enough formally announcing players and the new jerseys.

Great to have kept Dan Byrne, super defender.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Galway away this season boys, sweet trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Paddy Kavanagh told me he was staying, don't know if this is news to yiz, and good luck to Longer

21/25

BOHtox wrote: »

Rumours of Mark Rossiter, Shane Grimes (Or he could go to Dundalk), Derek Prendegast, Dean Kelly, Marc Griffin, Jake Kelly, Graham Kelly, Evan McMillan and a few others. The usual stuff at this time of year. If we get a few of them players + most of last year's squad I'd be quietly confident of pushing higher in the league.

Let the games begin...

Grimes did go to Dundalk, you were right about that. I see Fabio O' Brien went to Glenavon up North, wouldn't have minded him to be honest and he has family locally enough too. Strange move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Squad taking shape. 17 players signed

http://bohemianfc.com/?p=7559

And an 18th in Robbie Creevy

http://bohemianfc.com/?p=7566

Squad looking decent. Still think we need a few more. A centre mid or two and a defender or two and a sub goalkeeper and we're laughing. Months to go until the season starts and we've the squad all but sorted. Ironically the most stable pre-season we've had in years has come the year we've lost a manager and a half a dozen of our players while not having a single player in contract.

McEvoy and Walsh would fill the gap in centre mid. Evan McMillan for centre half would be nice too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

McMillan can't commit apparently, and I don't think we're keeping Walsh. Creevy is a decent signing, handy little player, looking forward to seeing how he does for us.

Got a flag made up for the upcoming season.

10610723_859205460786367_6188515404501567830_n.jpg?oh=e8065dca6825456a31d67e2f080600e3&oe=551B0A36

Derek Prendergast from Athlone to us. Saw him for Drogs a good few times and thought he was nice and strong. I remember him bossing it especially from the back during Heary's last ever game as a player. I reckon we'll be ok this year...

....hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Rossiter would be a fantastic signing for you guys. Would have loved to keep him as he never put a foot wrong playing for Dundalk, he was just unfortunate that Gannon was so immense for us.

Griffin is a lost cause I'm afraid. Hopefully he proves me wrong but he's far too fond of the drink and trying to live the professional footballer lifestyle to ever have any success as a professional footballer.

Had Rossi before. Bit hit and miss but wouldn't say no.

• Advertisement

Excerpt from a write up in the Irish Times today.

Joy of football still apparent despite inevitably bleak setting

There are, you quickly realise after arriving, pros and, if you’ll excuse the pun, cons to playing football in a prison yard.
    The nets that cover the whole area to prevent balls containing contraband being thrown in from outside mean none of the ones you are using go over the surrounding walls, which is just as well of course.
    All the razor wire, on the other hand, accounts for quite a few and the evidence of prematurely ended games is everywhere around you.
    This is Mountjoy’s west wing on a chilly Wednesday morning and Bohemians have sent in a couple of coaches, Jeff Conway and first team player Keith Buckley, to help a team of inmates prepare for Sunday’s Conway Cup match against Ballymun club Shangan/Sandyhill.
    The competition may not mean that much to anyone on the outside but inside….well, you could say it’s the only game in town.

One of our own Boardsies randomfriend has done up a few League of Ireland Legends drawings. Here's his artwork of Captain Fantastic, Kevin Hunt.

il_570xN.697575796_7zi9.jpg

I can't help but feel we're weaker than we were last year.

Bohemians
    Manager: Keith Long
    Ins
    Kealan Dillon (Athlone Town)
    Dylan Hayes (Athlone Town)
    Marc Griffin (Dundalk)
    Dean Kelly (Shamrock Rovers)
    Lorcan Fitzgerald (St. Pat's Ath)
    Robbie Creevy (UCD)
    Derek Prendergast (Athlone Town)
    James O'Brien (Athlone Town)
    Dean Mahon (Free)

Outs
    Kevin Devaney (Sligo Rovers)
    Steven Beattie (Sligo Rovers)
    Dinny Corcoran (Sligo Rovers)
    Dave Mulcahy (Cork City)
    Eoin Wearen (Sligo Rovers)
    Jack Memery (Bray Wanderers)
    Ryan McEvoy (Bray Wanderers)
    Aaron Shanahan (Ards)
    Craig Walsh (Shelbourne)

Just some housekeeping too
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/dublin-city-council-close-to-finalising-a-deal-to-buy-dalymount-park-1.2063377

The purchase of Dalymount Park by Dublin City Council could be confirmed as early as next week with Bohemians currently awaiting a decision from Zurich Bank on whether to accept an offer of €3.4 million in settlement of their debt to the company.
    The amount owed, which is the result of a loan taken out when it was anticipated that the ground would be sold to the developer Liam Carroll in a deal valued at more than €60 million, is somewhat larger and further negotiations may still take place.

So basically Sligo Rovers are Bohs 2014 and we're Athlone 2014, including the gaffer!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

How much of today's Bohs team will start in the league?

Also, many thanks for the tea and coffee at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

How much of today's Bohs team will start in the league?

Also, many thanks for the tea and coffee at half time.

Five or six probably had to leave after 40 minutes cause of the stupid delay but we really didn't look great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What was the final score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What was the final score?

Youths 2 - 1 Bohs

Keenan and Higgins scored for Wexford before Jason Byrne scored a peno for Bohs

Didn't make the game yesterday but have to say I'm not feeling very optimistic going into the season. On paper we definitely look a lot weaker than last year.

My Aunt, who comes from a Rovers family, actually was absolutely sound and put it all aside. Check out my birthday cake. :D

10356696_874223502617896_1498516962329254131_n.jpg?oh=be1931707b40c7f4a38a424d0f38836a&oe=55621BAD&__gda__=1433297700_8b5f95196aef4c8c73e628bde1bde808

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

She just wanted to see you cut up that crest.

It was Rocky Road inside, I would have cut my own mothers head open for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Save us a piece for the journey down to Limerick will ya?

Saint Peter's church just outside our front door when we were in our infancy. Note the tram lines going down the North Circular Road as the road splits to the left. Never mind Pats and Rovers, we're the original LUAS club.

10959518_1529931527270945_6823642168171780799_n.jpg?oh=ec355566fadd0f4198a1a56a6558828d&oe=55559E5F&__gda__=1431371360_c005705704cd32900563b606425adab3

3-0 up with half an hour to go away from home. Might aswell give us the trophy now. Top of the league....

Was anyone down there? How did we play?

BOHtox wrote: »
    Was anyone down there? How did we play?

Yeah I went down, was fantastic craic I have to say :D

Honestly, Limerick were so bad it's hard to take much from it. We looked disciplined and controlled the game well though. Thought Dean Kelly had a good game up front. Lorcan Fitz impressed me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

We (Limerick) were dreadful so it is hard to get a handle on where Bohs are. I wasn't particularly impressed by ye either but that has to be tempered too by the fact that it was the first day of the season so some rustiness was inevitable. Limerick were swatted aside anyway. I wouldn't be worried about Bohs for the year. On the other hand it's hard to see how we won't be relegated!

Looks good to me...

11006422_914523188587927_4691913798359245062_n.jpg?oh=fda82174d8de10d503209ad15d445731&oe=5591B7ED&__gda__=1438311012_52a15842ee3a1d3edf1cf8b1985ad8c0

• Advertisement

First match of the season for me there Friday night and I must say I was really impressed with what I saw. Bucko and Lopes in the middle were very good. We looked solid at the back and Delany made a few good saves. Fitzgerald and Evans on the left hand side were both fantastic too. Some great deliveries put in to the box. Something we have been missing for years. Loads of running up front too. Kelly worked hard as did Griffin when he came on. We liked to keep it wide and on the floor. I think when the pitch improves in a few weeks we'll see some real good football played this year.

We are top of the league...

Some nice passages of play there on Friday night, great to have a bit of the buzz back. It's gonna be a Long season... but in a good way.

We've been drawn home to Longford Town in the second round of the EA Sports Cup. Definitely a winnable tie you would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It's a good draw, but complacency will kill us. We've a very easy first three matches.

What do you all think of last night? I can't believe I've walked out of Dalyer following a 0-3 loss and felt somewhat positive. Anto Murphy being sent off was a definate game changer, we were in that game big time. We hit the bar too. Anyone that thinks we were hammered or destroyed doesn't know the true story, it was a lot closer than the score suggests. Anyway, Friday is coming and can't wait. We'll miss Murphy though.

We definitely gave them a good game, 0-3 really doesn't tell the full story. Fair play to Long, he has the team fired up and playing effective football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

First goal was poxy. Deflected off Lopez I think as Delaney was going the other way. The penultimate pass for the second looked like the winger was at least 2 yards offside and the third we were just caught on the counter.

I'll probably be accused of being paranoid here but the refs do seem to have a hard on for giving Bohs players cards. Anto Murphy's first was a definite yellow but the second was laughable. It was an excellently timed tackle.

Great to see a positive and passionate manager at the helm for a change.

Only in the LOI could you have 3 games in 6 days at the start of the season. :eek:

Roll on Friday. If we keep playing the way we are and we get fair officials then I'm confident of at least a draw. From what I've seen of THEM so far, they're no great shakes.

No Pyro, No Party!

17991_926246497415596_8048670394746838306_n.jpg?oh=8a064b58fc69f6d21415c5895d35fec5&oe=557191C8&__gda__=1437216933_0c309e20c80d79dfa1fe1d9211c4b0d0

To a man, we played out of our skin tonight. It was a big task for Stephen Best. Only a teenager making a big start against Rovers. He was magnificent. Like a Kevin Feely or a Dano Byrne. Looked comfortable on the ball and in the air.

Dean Delany should never have to walk around doing his postal route any more, he should be carried shoulder high by Bohs fans. Heroics between the posts tonight!

Creevy too for someone who just arrived at Bohs looked just as up for it as anyone. Made some fantastic full-blooded challenges! Lopes ran the midfield.

Apparently you're not allowed to tackle Keith Fahey though. Any tackle you make regardless of how much you get the ball will result in a yellow card. The ref was atrocious. He wasn't biased against us or anything he was just an awful ref.

Fantastic start to the season. To a man from Keith Long as manager to someone who just made one sub appearance. All been t'riffic. Long may it continue! BTID!

Were we penned in for longer than usual at the end? Felt like bloody half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Omackeral wrote: »
    Were we penned in for longer than usual at the end? Felt like bloody half an hour.

Yea was atleast 30 mins, surely letting away fans out would have made more sense:confused::confused:

most went to Luas those that didnt went to the square to get their cars, Rovers would be waiting no more than 15 mins in the ground, strange decision

• Advertisement

Many heading up here tonight? I reckon all three points are there for us if we want it. The Gaffer thinks there's something there for us too, even if he's playing it down a bit...

“Against Shamrock Rovers the players had to dig deep and showed a lot of character, they put in a gutsy, resolute performance to get a valuable point,” he said.

“Last week was tough on a part-time squad playing three games in six days, but we have fully recovered, prepared well this week and are fully focused on the game against Drogheda.”

Away again this week, Long expects “another tough game”. “All teams in the league are capable of taking points from each other and Drogheda will be no different on Friday, we know we will have to perform to our maximum to get anything from the game.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'd have high hopes of all three points. Wonder what the crowd will be like at it thought, I suppose it is Good Friday

I'd have high hopes of all three points. Wonder what the crowd will be like at it thought, I suppose it is Good Friday

I expect this and Twist and Shout for a full 90 minutes :cool:

Anybody at the game tonight? Was at training myself so couldn't make it. Season is going well so far, in the Top 4, unbeaten on the road in the league with a super attitude from all involved and now in a quarter final of a cup. It's good to be back!

Yeah was at it. Was a good game, we were well worth the win. Good to see we've decent options around the pitch. Worrying to see Stephen Best go off injured. Hope it's not serious.

Is it true Mullers was playing? He could do a job at CB if Prendergast is suspended. Were there many at it all?

Yeah Muller came on for Best and played well. Id say there was 400 or so there.

1500+ last night. Amazing what a good start does for crowds. We probably had 1800 at the first match and by and large we've managed to keep that for every league game throughout.

Great game last night. Longford didn't offer too much. A few long balls over the top had us a bit worried at time but we either recovered well or Delany made a save. Offensively, James O'Brien looked very lively when he came on. I'd definitely start him against Pats. Kelly was immense up front too! Chased down everything, held it up well and found room at the back stick well to head home a well-deserved goal. Evans took his goal very well with his first touch of the game. Kelly worked very hard down the right to get the ball in but it bounced for Evans very high and he kept his cool well. You could see how much it meant to him by his celebration!

We all played out of our skin last night though and it's real joy to watch this team. Cautiously optimistic that we can continue good form throughout the year

Keith Long for Pope! Great to have that sense of excitement back in Dalymount again.

Our next 3 games will tell us a lot, Pats, Sligo and Derry in the space of 7 days.

2nd in the league after 7 games. 6 clean sheets. Amazing. Only for Dundalk score in the last minute we'd only be a point off top but what a great thing to have to complain about. I love this team and their attitude. Seems like every goal means the world to them and the fans respect that. Even chasing things down to a man, we were great. Thought we nearly had a third with that rebound from the keepers' kickout and do you know what, we would have deserved it had it gone in for the constant fight we put up.

It's been great so far. would love us to keep it up and who knows where it could go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement