Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Works behind Applegreen Palmerstown

• 28-11-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what's going on there? Some works going on in the green area/pedestrian path behind the Applegreen petrol station: http://osm.org/go/es9_gen7x--?m= . Looks like a lot of resurfacing done on the short little cul-de-sac road and barriers all along the pedestrian path as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

I asked one of the workers, he said it was for a cycle path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cool. Was hoping that would be the case since it's already used as a defacto cycle path by anyone who doesn't feel brave enough for the merge onto dual carriageway/cross over 3 lanes of fast busy traffic route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Layout, where there's room to widen it will be a decent job but there'll still be a pinch point. It would be nice if they could do something in chapleizod village to create continuity onto the path along side the river through to the war memorial gardens and the opening of a new route to link through to Heuston which would give an excellent cycle route from heuston to beyond the M50 with very little interaction with traffic and few steep gradients.

These works are described as being part of the Celbridge - Palmerstown cycle route, anybody know any more about this, like where it goes once it's outside the M50? Will it stick to the N4 corridor or maybe head south through Adamstown which is intended to be connected with the old Dublin Road from Celbridge at Youngs Cross by the State Labs.

They seem to be eking out a bit more space for the shared foot/cycle path than was there of the existing footpath which is good.

There seems to be a high kerb dividing it from the road which I don't much unless there a low section that will allow cyclists rejoin the bypass rather than going onto Chapelizod because this will be something that will dissuade cyclists using the cycle lane to cross the M50 in cases where they intend continuing onto the bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

alias no.9 wrote: »
    They seem to be eking out a bit more space for the shared foot/cycle path than was there of the existing footpath which is good.

There seems to be a high kerb dividing it from the road which I don't much unless there a low section that will allow cyclists rejoin the bypass rather than going onto Chapelizod because this will be something that will dissuade cyclists using the cycle lane to cross the M50 in cases where they intend continuing onto the bypass.

Be too dangerous to allow cyclists join there as cars will be exiting towards the village.

• Advertisement

Be too dangerous to allow cyclists join there as cars will be exiting towards the village.

There's plenty space to put a safe merge between the applegreen and exit to chapelizod

There's plenty space to put a safe merge between the applegreen and exit to chapelizod

You be a braver man than me so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tbh, don't really see a solution that's going to be totally safe there with speeding cars. The one strategy I've found is to take up centre position in the bus lane early if I'm heading for the bypass, that stops cars from cutting across me for the most part. That involves entering the main road at the petrol station more or less. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it any later than that (drivers tend to swing into the bus lane very early before exiting for Chapelizod).

You be a braver man than me so

To be honest I'd be more likely to head for the village and along the river to the war memorial gardens but I'm mostly a leisure cyclist, occasional commuter but not on this section of road. However, there's a certain cohort who'll always prefer to take the bypass.

Crossing the M50 junction is the much bigger hazard with a higher volume of traffic exiting onto or merging from the M50. The pedestrian / cycle crossing of the M50 is a bit of a momentum breaker for cyclists (the kind of cyclists that will take the bypass don't like their momentum broken) but can be made up for with the sidestepping of the two sets of lights. If you don't allow them rejoin the bypass easily, then most likely they'll just use the road crossing of the M50.

To be honest I'd be more likely to head for the village and along the river to the war memorial gardens but I'm mostly a leisure cyclist, occasional commuter but not on this section of road. However, there's a certain cohort who'll always prefer to take the bypass.

Crossing the M50 junction is the much bigger hazard with a higher volume of traffic exiting onto or merging from the M50. The pedestrian / cycle crossing of the M50 is a bit of a momentum breaker for cyclists (the kind of cyclists that will take the bypass don't like their momentum broken) but can be made up for with the sidestepping of the two sets of lights. If you don't allow them rejoin the bypass easily, then most likely they'll just use the road crossing of the M50.

Its a bad junction, i run to work once a week from Lucan, so I love the cycle/walk way bridge.

But once on the way home on the bus, i saw someone running the m50 flyover towards Liffey Valley!! Stupid stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

But once on the way home on the bus, i saw someone running the m50 flyover towards Liffey Valley!! Stupid stuff!

:eek::eek::eek:

Well you wouldn't walk it.

Advertisement