Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to help my dog missing her buddy...

• 28-11-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

My dog got ran over a couple of weeks ago and sadly died. Cat under car while I was picking him up to put him in car after walk. He saw it, bolted after it. Car came, never stood a chance...

For the first few days afterwards my other dog seemed OK. Roll forward a week or so and at nights she will start howling. She would never have done this before so I'm guessing its out of loneliness. She has never been an only dog and is quite social... If I bring her up into my room she will settle straight away but I don't think this is helping her in the long run.

Since buying the dogs my personal circumstances have changed, I'm separated now and I work during the day. My ex used to work from home so she'd be around them most of the day. My ex is not in the country and is not in a position to help.

I don't think its fair to get another dog... Just looking for anyone who has had a similar experience. Will time help her to adjust? I do have the option of "borrowing" another dog from my parents for periods of time if that would help??

thanks
    x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

So sorry to hear about your dog. My labrador died suddenly last year and my terrier was distraught for months afterwards. She barely ate, lost so much weight and she looked for him everywhere and whined when she couldn't find him, it was heart breaking to watch. I let her sleep in my room on my bed, she still whined for him there too. We brought her out for long walks to take her mind off him and this helped. It was six months before we adopted another dog, I didn't feel ready for another dog but It was my dad who wanted her. To be honest I'd be lost now without our new dog, we'll have her a year in January. She and the terrier are inseparable! They sometimes both sleep on my bed but mostly sleep in the kitchen and there's never any problems so allowing your dog to sleep in your room for a few nights isn't going to do any harm. Play time with your parents dog might help your dog adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Xcellor wrote: »
    My dog got ran over a couple of weeks ago and sadly died. Cat under car while I was picking him up to put him in car after walk. He saw it, bolted after it. Car came, never stood a chance...

For the first few days afterwards my other dog seemed OK. Roll forward a week or so and at nights she will start howling. She would never have done this before so I'm guessing its out of loneliness. She has never been an only dog and is quite social... If I bring her up into my room she will settle straight away but I don't think this is helping her in the long run.

Since buying the dogs my personal circumstances have changed, I'm separated now and I work during the day. My ex used to work from home so she'd be around them most of the day. My ex is not in the country and is not in a position to help.

I don't think its fair to get another dog... Just looking for anyone who has had a similar experience. Will time help her to adjust? I do have the option of "borrowing" another dog from my parents for periods of time if that would help??

thanks
    x

Really, terribly sorry for your loss :( However careful we are, I've known very good dog owners devastated by RTAs through total freak occurrences too :eek:

I think you're right in hesitating to get another dog right now, as whatever their age or circumstances, they always do need a lot of time and attention to settle into a new home.

If he gets along with your parents' dog, it might well be a good idea for him to spend some time with theirs, at either of your places. For general settling, I personally don't see anything wrong with her spending nights in your room, if you haven't any huge objection. There's no reason that can't become her sleeping place at night, if she simply prefers to have company.

However, if you are working during the day, chances are she is suffering then, when you can't see. It might be worth installing an Adaptil plug-in for those times, in the hope that the pheromones could help her to cope.

Sorry again, both for you and your remaining dog. Hope you both can help each other over the loss :(

Edited to add: If you could actually get somebody to call in and take her out for a bit each day when you are in work - perhaps your parents, or just somebody you trust- that could also be a big help to her. It just must be so hard for her being alone when she isn't used to it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

SingItOut wrote: »
    So sorry to hear about your dog. My labrador died suddenly last year and my terrier was distraught for months afterwards. She barely ate, lost so much weight and she looked for him everywhere and whined when she couldn't find him, it was heart breaking to watch. I let her sleep in my room on my bed, she still whined for him there too. We brought her out for long walks to take her mind off him and this helped. It was six months before we adopted another dog, I didn't feel ready for another dog but It was my dad who wanted her. To be honest I'd be lost now without our new dog, we'll have her a year in January. She and the terrier are inseparable! They sometimes both sleep on my bed but mostly sleep in the kitchen and there's never any problems so allowing your dog to sleep in your room for a few nights isn't going to do any harm. Play time with your parents dog might help your dog adjust.

Thankfully Maya is continuing to eat well. Although when I'm at work she won't eat or at least it doesn't look like she does. I give her "favourite" food I want to fatten her up a bit because she's a bit on the skinny side so I'm giving her bits of left overs. (she's a small chihuahua so doesn't haev much to fall back on...)

I just don't want her to be dependent on sleeping in my bedroom since there will be times it's not possible and believe me its heartbreaking when a tiny chihuahua is howling. When she first did it I ran down stairs and petted her and she settled down and that night she slept by herself but I reckon by acknowledging it I reinforced the behavior which is why I'm choosing to ignore it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Feeling for you,

When I came to Ireland I brought the last three cats of my Siamese breeding days, They were siblings and very close and I sensed that when one died they would go down one after the other, as they did.

The third one just pined away day by day, Stopped eating, drank and used the tray but that was all. I introduced a litter of three rescue kittens but no.,He died with a cat smile on his face.

Your little one is eating so that is a grand sign ...does she make a fuss when you come home? That too is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

Very sorry to hear about your dog OP. My lab passed away during the summer & my other lab was devastated too. I think for now do whatever settles her so I think it's fine to let her sleep in your room. My dog was terrified of the stairs so I couldn't do that but myself & my husband took turns sleeping downstairs with her for a couple of weeks. I then put her back into the utility where they both had slept but only for a short amount of time to start with & slowly built it up until she was sleeping there the whole night. Now she never complained when I left her in there but she never would anyway but i knew she was sad & didn't want her upset. During the day I brought her to my mothers for a while but she wasn't comfortable here so I got a dog sitter for a few weeks who brought along her own dog & she loved this so borrowing a dog for short periods would be good. I then got another pup for her & it was the best thing I could have done. They very quickly became best friends, they sleep in the same bed & plays for hours. Dogs love company either 2 legged or 4 so if you can get another dog I would highly recommend it. As hard as I found it, it did wonders for my lab. Just thought when I did leave her by herself I left a teddy & my jumper with her, might help too. Best of luck

• Advertisement

Just to update.

The howling is still happening but its quite sporadic. I mean she will be quiet for a few hours and then wake up I guess realise she is alone and howl for maybe a minute and fall back asleep.

Last night I didn't hear her at all... At night she is a bit hyper like trying to overcompensate so I'll let her up to my room. As hard as it is I'm being stern with her not because I want to to be but I really don't want her to become over dependent on me because that is not healthy

I think she is improving and she is eating OK which is main thing. I want to take her out for a walk but its stupid I'm so paranoid that something happens to her and I'm dealing with the guilt multiple "if only" scenarios...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

thanks
    x

Have you thought of Doggy Day Care maybe even just once a week I am not sure where you live but they are great for dogs on their own to mix or just for company.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

you can foster dogs from rescue centres,for a few weeks at a time,some puppies to young to adopt or maybe better for you is the older dog option,dogs who just need a break from the rescue for some tlc,you wouldn't need to house train or anything,and you wouldn't be making a lifetime commitment either,

deadwood85 wrote: »
    you can foster dogs from rescue centres,for a few weeks at a time,some puppies to young to adopt or maybe better for you is the older dog option,dogs who just need a break from the rescue for some tlc,you wouldn't need to house train or anything,and you wouldn't be making a lifetime commitment either,

this maybe an idea but maybe they wouldn't be too keen on letting me foster given that I am out at work most of the day. But will give this some consideration. I really wouldnt want to foster a dog for over a week though because I know i'd get attached :P

TrishSimon wrote: »
    Have you thought of Doggy Day Care maybe even just once a week I am not sure where you live but they are great for dogs on their own to mix or just for company.

I live in the midlands Athlone/Longford doubt there is something like that here and to be honest I wouldn't really trust her with anyone else. She's perfectly well behaved but I'm ultra paranoid at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

I live in the midlands Athlone/Longford doubt there is something like that here and to be honest I wouldn't really trust her with anyone else. She's perfectly well behaved but I'm ultra paranoid at the moment...

Maybe fostering would be the ideal solution so its short term generally and you can request the type of dog you want ie. low maintenance.
    Plenty of rescues around the Athlone / Longford area.

There is a doggy day care in Athlone its called Lynset Kennels in Ballykeeran.

Advertisement