Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WICKLOW HOSPICE 1/2 MARATHON AND 10K, Avondale (Rathdrum) - 22nd Feb 2014, only 20e!!

Options
  • 28-11-2014 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm putting this event up here for a friend of mine. At 20euros this probably is the cheapest 1/2 marathon in Ireland by a long way, with most others coming in closer to 50quid! Plenty of information and online registration here: http://www.athleticstiming.com

I know at last years race, numbers where larger than expected and as a result there were some course issues, I've been informed that these have been solved for this year, with some route changes and a delay between the start time of each race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Signed up for the half. One of the nicest places there is for a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Is there a course map for the two distances? I've nightmares of those hills on the cross country course in avondale house appearing on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

emerald007 wrote: »
    Is there a course map for the two distances? I've nightmares of those hills on the cross country course in avondale house appearing on the route.

Not knowing the exact course, but knowing the options there'll be a few lumps and bumps, but nothing as severe as the XC course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok important news!!! I've just been told that the race will have to change date, from the 22nd (Sunday) to the day before (Sat 21st). Same start times, just on the previous day! Hopefully this wont be a big inconvenience to too many people!

Could a Mod please change the title of this post, and edit my 1st post accordingly. Alternatively lock this thread and I can make a new one?

Can you put up the route when you get it? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Is this now on the sat or Sunday as website seems to say 22nd?

Edit: it is on 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Anyone know if regular runners are OK or would I need to wear trail runner for this?

Just signed up now. I'll bring both on the day, just would like to know in advance.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

oinkely wrote: »
    Anyone know if regular runners are OK or would I need to wear trail runner for this?

Just signed up now. I'll bring both on the day, just would like to know in advance.

Cheers
    you will be fine with runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Does anyone know what Avondale is like for leaving your gear while you run? I'd like to run this tomorrow but will be travelling by motorbike (not ideal) and continuing on to Wexford Town immediately after the race. Will there be somewhere I can leave my bike gear, helmet etc. while I do the half marathon?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Does anyone know what Avondale is like for leaving your gear while you run? I'd like to run this tomorrow but will be travelling by motorbike (not ideal) and continuing on to Wexford Town immediately after the race. Will there be somewhere I can leave my bike gear, helmet etc. while I do the half marathon?

Thanks

You should be fine. Just ask at registration(usually in one of the out buildings near the house) and they should look after you.....
    They had a room for gear at the last event in Avondale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

You should be fine. Just ask at registration(usually in one of the out buildings near the house) and they should look after you.....
    They had a room for gear at the last event in Avondale

Thanks Barry. Should be a nice morning for a run. Cold and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Does anyone know where they upload pics from the event?

Really enjoyed this today. My first half marathon. Lovely day for it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

For god sake does anyone know how to save some of the pics??

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Well done to Wicklow Hospice Team on a fantastic event. Did the half, and it was glorious. Started off with a mile loop in the forest park, then out onto the roads of rathdrum for a 3 mile loop, back into the forest park for another 3 mile loop, then repeat the two 3 mile loops again. Beautiful course, cold clear weather and no fuss. Started on time, registration was a breeze and marshalls were all helpful and happy people. Great turn out from Wicklow Civil Defence too and supprt from the Gardaí.

I'll be keeping an eye out for future events by the same people. Great organisation, great cause.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I was looking at doing this race on the 25th as part of my build up to Rotterdam in April.
    Just wondering what the course profile is like. Ideally I'd run it at marathon pace but am I being a bit too hopeful?
    I know it's half trail/half road and not going to be exactly flat but would someone training for a sub 3 marathon be able to maintain a decent pace over this half?

I was looking at doing this race on the 25th as part of my build up to Rotterdam in April.
    Just wondering what the course profile is like. Ideally I'd run it at marathon pace but am I being a bit too hopeful?
    I know it's half trail/half road and not going to be exactly flat but would someone training for a sub 3 marathon be able to maintain a decent pace over this half?

The route has changed a little over the years, but it will be undulating, a good course for a good workout, but not if you are hoping to run even splits time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head
    Might give it a miss this year but should give it a go next year when I'm less obsessed with even splits :)

Advertisement