Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown leather look messenger bag

• 28-11-2014 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right place to post as it's the first time I've posted on this part of boards! :D

I'm looking for help locating a bag, it doesn't have to be designer but it can be. Price range is anything up to about 500 but I am willing to go higher for the perfect bag.

I'm buying it for a man, to primarily use for work so something understated. Other then it being a messenger bag, brown and able to hold a 13 inch mac the only other thing is it can't be real leather. Which is where I'm having issues :rolleyes:

Any help would be really appreciated as it's been driving me mad! :pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Unless this man is different to 90% of all other men on Earth, he's likely not going to be as appreciative as you think of having €500 spent on a bag for him.

My advice would be to use the money more wisely and get a few different items, you could almost make up a whole outfit of designer gear with €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Just seen a few nice synthetic ones on amazon, can't post a link
    Nicest one was $35. Shipping fees can be ridiculous though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Completely agree with MagicMarker. Unless the recipient is design nuts or massively into their fashion a €500 bag will be absolutely lost on them.

Have you had a look through eBay? It has a massive choice with plenty of synthetic leather bags available. There's budget options right through to some very stylish designs that look amazing but come in a lot cheaper than the amount you had planned to spend, leaving you more for other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_083010833273_-1
    http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_083010322773_-1
    You could try searching for a 'vegan' bag, there are plenty of listings but none of them led to an actual item for me, mostly pinterest and 'no longer available' on etsy.
    Edit: IMO you'd be mad to pay hundreds of euro for a 'leather look' bag because it won't age well like leather does, 500+ is mental money for something plastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

?Cee?view wrote: »

Have they changed their policy about only stocking genuine leather bags?

dee_mc wrote: »
    Have they changed their policy about only stocking genuine leather bags?

Haven't a clue. I just follow their page on Facebook and like the look of their stuff. Are they now stocking non-leather?

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Haven't a clue. I just follow their page on Facebook and like the look of their stuff. Are they now stocking non-leather?

Op specifically requested leather look, not real leather.

Op specifically requested leather look, not real leather.

Apologies. Hadn't spotted that. I can't imagine why anyone would spend €500 on something fake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Thanks for all the replies. Debhenams seems to have some good ones so I moth order from there. I wasn't able to find any of the non leather ags in the one closest to me unfortunately.

And for the people wondering I don't buy leather for ethical reasons. He uses leather, which is why I wanted leather look, but I refuse to buy it for him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Have you tried TKMaxx? They have some great bags in ATM and their non-leather bags tend to be good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Its a bit of assumption to say that only 10% of men would care about a €500 bag - menswear is huge at the moment, especially the high-end stuff, so if he is reasonably fashion-aware (and he must be, if he uses "man bags" :) ) then I'd say he would love getting a €500 bag! I know I would!

Try e-Bay. I recently got a vintage Coach messenger bag for €40 - it was well used looking (and leather) but for that price, you can't argue.

Its a bit of assumption to say that only 10% of men would care about a €500 bag - menswear is huge at the moment, especially the high-end stuff, so if he is reasonably fashion-aware (and he must be, if he uses "man bags" :) ) then I'd say he would love getting a €500 bag! I know I would!

Try e-Bay. I recently got a vintage Coach messenger bag for €40 - it was well used looking (and leather) but for that price, you can't argue.
    I don't think it's an assumption at all. I would have thought it was fairly obvious that most men would think €500 on a bag is not money well spent, because quite frankly, it's not. It's ludicrous really. There's being "fashion aware" enough not to combine a nike backpack with a suit, but that's a far cry from spending €500 on a bag.

I think a fashion aware man would appreciate that money going towards something more useful tbh. You'd get a quality pair of Loakes for half that for instance. I think it would be an easy choice between 500 on a bag I carry my lunch around in for an hour or two a day, or pay half as much for a top of the line pair of shoes I'd walk around in 12 hours a day.

To be frank, nothing anyone can say to me will make me believe that spending 500 on a bag is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I appreciate all the feedback and I don't mean to sound rude but I didn't ask for validity of what I spend my money on. If I can find a cheaper bag great but I set out a price range that I find comfortable.

Advertisement