Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing dollar cheques in dollars

Options
  • 28-11-2014 4:02am

Hi, I have a cheque for 2k in dollars from a US bank account.

I'm going to the states over the summer so it would help to have the cash in dollars rather than converting it to euro and then converting it back to dollars. 

If I order 2k in dollars at the Bureau de Change in Bank of Ireland and then give them the cheque will they be able to give me the cash in dollars? I know that there are usually fees as well, could they be taken out of the dollar amount or out my bank account in euro?

I don't know if it makes any difference but I have a student account.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi NellyBellyJelly, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie. 

In order to be able to access these funds, it will be necessary to lodge this cheque through your branch. Unfortunately, it is not possible to cash a foreign cheque as it may need to be sent for clearing with the foreign bank and can take up 4 to 6 weeks to clear on to your account. 

Once cleared, you can then order foreign currency using this link and collect in your branch at your own convenience. 

We hope this helps and we wish you the best of luck for your trip to the US next year. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement