Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed on bills when moving house

Options
  • 28-11-2014 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if posting in wrong place, if I am let me know which forum I should go to.

I'm looking for people's thoughts on whether or not they would keep themselves as existing customers or new customers with the normal service providers and why.

This would be the likes of UPC, sky, electricity and gas providers. I'm not necessarily saying I would go with some of them again but I would be curious to see what people think.

from what I can tell as a "new " customer I would get new equipment, new customer offers etc. Other than a reduced lag of service between homes (maybe ) I'm struggling to see the benefits that I could have as an existing customer that's moving.

We're in a position where we could be new customers to any provider as only one name on each bill so it wouldn't be difficult either way.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you are still within the minimum term for a service then cancelling could land you with 'penalty'charges. This could still apply even if you wanted to keep the current service but the new place cannot be served by the provider.
    Opening a new account would also mean a new minimum term and possibly a security deposit. Also while you may get discounts you may be bound to a longer minimum term than previously.
    If the above is not a problem then I see no reason not to take advantage of any new customer offers but if you want to keep the same service provider then perhaps first check what the service provider considers a new customer (e.g different name/address, bank account).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Cool thanks. out of contract ages and don't care about minimum terms so think I'll play the do they want to keep me or new customer game :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

VandC wrote: »
    Cool thanks. out of contract ages and don't care about minimum terms so think I'll play the do they want to keep me or new customer game :-)

You can do this even if you don't move house ;)

Advertisement