Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/Advice on HTPC processors (for xbmc)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Question for those with the NUC - I was wondering if anyone would test a sample MTS file for me - it is off an Panasonic video camera. I have a pi running xbmc and these are the only files it cannot play without massive stuttering - they play fine in my laptop. I need to get a new xbmc box and reuse the pi one elsewhere but if I am getting a new one i want it to be able to play these files - if you are willing can you PM me and I will send a link to a sample file - thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Question for those with the NUC - I was wondering if anyone would test a sample MTS file for me - it is off an Panasonic video camera. I have a pi running xbmc and these are the only files it cannot play without massive stuttering - they play fine in my laptop. I need to get a new xbmc box and reuse the pi one elsewhere but if I am getting a new one i want it to be able to play these files - if you are willing can you PM me and I will send a link to a sample file - thanks!

If you link me a file I can test it on my intel DN2820FYKH. OpenElec 5.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Are you accessing the file over Wifi or with an Ethernet cable?
    If Wifi try with a cable, or the file stored on a USB drive.

I will check my Pi later today .... but it is wired ;)

Are you accessing the file over Wifi or with an Ethernet cable?
    If Wifi try with a cable, or the file stored on a USB drive.

I will check my Pi later today .... but it is wired ;)

Yeah over ethernet. Wifi just wouldn't cut it. It is not the file size I can play massive files no problem over the cable - it is, I think anyway, to do with fps or something, it can only buffer about 8-12 seconds.

I got a chance to try it.

I too get the video playing and then stopping for a brief moment and then continuing.

I believe it might be the fps that is too high for the Pi as well as the very high video bitrate.

• Advertisement

I got a chance to try it.

I too get the video playing and then stopping for a brief moment and then continuing.

I believe it might be the fps that is too high for the Pi as well as the very high video bitrate.

good to see it is not just me :) - thanks!

I also tried the file on an i5 NUC played into a 720 TV ....... the result was not good ..... artifacts etc.

I don't know what the NUC would be like playing into a Full HD TV ...... might get a chance to try it tonight ....

Tried that file on my nuc too. Lots of stutter. Cpus never got over 40%.

Tried it on my nexus 5 aswell. Same effect.

Thanks for the feedback guys - appreciate it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How much better would the ebuyer be than smething like a Pipo x7?

(http://www.ebuyer.com/614389-intel-nuc-kit-celeron-n2820-2-4ghz-hdmi-barebone-boxdn2820fykh0)

Main use would be for XBMC so may use openelec but would also like to consider buying a Windows license to use it as a back up PC (MS office & web-browsing only)

How much better would the ebuyer be than smething like a Pipo x7?

(http://www.ebuyer.com/614389-intel-nuc-kit-celeron-n2820-2-4ghz-hdmi-barebone-boxdn2820fykh0)

Main use would be for XBMC so may use openelec but would also like to consider buying a Windows license to use it as a back up PC (MS office & web-browsing only)

No need to buy a Win licence for that .... install a Linux distro without the licence cost as dual boot, and use Firefox/Chrome and Libre/Open office, or one of a few others available cost free.

Advertisement