Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane leaves Aston Villa

• 28-11-2014 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Just posted on sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

With immediate effect?......sacked?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The enigma continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

FFS what's wrong with him this time. Can he go a week without being in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

He hardly has a good record as manager let alone assistant, villa might do well now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

NukaCola wrote: »
    With immediate effect?......sacked?

I'd say he walked

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Asked to choose between the International team or Villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is there a link to this. because SSN has nothing on it.

listermint wrote: »
    Is there a link to this. because SSN has nothing on it.

Check the app it's in latest news.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

From the Aston Villa Official twitter account...

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/538264144697655296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

"He has relinquished the role after struggling to combine it with a similar position he holds with the Republic of Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Off to the jungle.

quarryman wrote: »
    "He has relinquished the role after struggling to combine it with a similar position he holds with the Republic of Ireland."

Least he is getting his prioritys right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't believe it!

Oh no, wait. I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lambert won't be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lambert won't be far behind.

Ya Keano getting out before Lambert,must have got a sniff that he might be offered the manager job

"Funk this Im out of here" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I can't wait for his third book now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Funny doing this now with the next international game four months away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Surely that's his career in management finished now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

vidor wrote: »
    Funny doing this now with the next international game four months away.

He'll probably be gone from the Irish position by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

if Villa lose to Burnley I'd say Lambert will be following him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Assistant manager to one of the worst teams the premier league has ever seen ? I'd say he's browned off with the lack of effort. This won't hurt his career at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

iDave wrote: »
    FFS what's wrong with him this time. Can he go a week without being in the news.

Why always him?

tossy wrote: »
    Assistant manager to one of the worst teams the premier league has ever seen ?

Haha. I think youre going mad there. Your memory must be poor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

tossy wrote: »
    Assistant manager to one of the worst teams the premier league has ever seen ? I'd say he's browned off with the lack of effort. This won't hurt his career at all.

Derby from a few years ago are surely the worse team the league ever seen, only managed to avoid the worse points total ever by the fact Sunderland got docked points.

Edit : The Villa team isnt great but its hardly near the worse ever, IMO anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Statement here

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2014/1128/663183-keane-steps-down-from-aston-villa-role/

Wonder does this decision keep some Irish fans happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

you'd have to wonder about when Villa would be playing the likes of Everton, would he be watching his own team or keeping an eye on Coleman and Co. for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It will definitely hurt his career, the one common factor throughout it is his inability to see any job through and to jump ship when it gets tough.

Not exactly a quality the type of teams who would consider him for the job would be looking for.

• Advertisement

BMJD wrote: »
    you'd have to wonder about when Villa would be playing the likes of Everton, would he be watching his own team or keeping an eye on Coleman and Co. for Ireland?

I would have said that because of him causing controversy with Everton and Martinez. It was ridiculous criticizing Martinez last week.
    I wonder did Lambert ask him to be quiet about issues like this???

The only assistant that says anything. I cant name many assistant managers in the premier league or international teams. And that is a good thing. There is no need for assistants to be in the media.

Why cant he just shut up? Please shut up!

Hopefully O'Neill gets sick of him too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rats. Sinking ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Someone should tell F365 its Cork hes from not Dublin

quarryman wrote: »

And all that plugging the 2nd or 3rd autobiography.

Don't forget plugging the 2nd or 3rd autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He's getting ready to take over from MO'N. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Early Christmas break, he's right too. To be fair villa have been useless lately

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »
    Early Christmas break, he's right too. To be fair villa have been useless lately

But isn't it partly his fault???
    He is with the players everyday on the training pitch.
    He is a part of the management team that is supposed to make aston Villa a team that wins matches.
    Again, he has failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fudge You wrote: »
    He is a part of the management team that is supposed to make aston Villa a team that wins matches.
    Again, he has failed.

You can't fault the management if the team aren't capable of scoring goals, I really can't see how he's failed. At least he's focusing on the Ireland team now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

His generally awful management record continues.

You can't fault the management if the team aren't capable of scoring goals, I really can't see how he's failed. At least he's focusing on the Ireland team now

Do you know what the job is of a football manager and his staff is???

He has been there since July. And Villa has gotten worse in my opinion. Lambert is at fault of course for the poor form along with the players, but Keane has to get a small bit of blame too.

Im sure if Villa were flying high as Southampton this season, Im sure many would say (along with players and manager...) its also thanks to Roy's high standards he sets on the training pitch, blah blah.

And focusing on the Irish team, whoppy fcuking-do!!!!!
    Cant wait for next march, to see him all over the media again, like hes done at every competitive match since he became assistant. Causing more shte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Depends on what his role was really, never really seemed clear to me. If it was a coaching role more then likely reflects bad on him, as Villa have been poison, and their midfield is a disgrace.

To be honest I imagine he was doing some rather mundane Ass.Manager jobs, as Lambert is hands on, and in reality he won't be a big miss, just as he wasn't a big gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

When you were part of a management team that thinks it's a good idea to sign Tom cleverly then it's downhill all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fudge You wrote: »
    Again, he has failed.

Dig up stupid

Dig up stupid

Good argument. Well done you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I love how lot's of people seemed to think that because Villa suddenly weren't winning lots of matches that it's Keane's fault. There's lots of problems at Villa, much deeper than that. Keane was an assistant manager who was brought in to work with a group of players that have been shocking for 3 seasons now, an improvement would have been nice but it hasn't happened and Keane can hardly be blamed.

He must be the only assistant manager in history who results seemed to have been blamed on at the same status as a manager. Any other assistant manager wouldn't have any blame on them, in fact they'd probably be touted as a replacement for a sacked manager.

It's also supposedly for family reasons as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Corholio wrote: »
    I love how lot's of people seemed to think that because Villa suddenly weren't winning lots of matches that it's Keane's fault. There's lots of problems at Villa, much deeper than that. Keane was an assistant manager who was brought in to work with a group of players that have been shocking for 3 seasons now, an improvement would have been nice but it hasn't happened and Keane can hardly be blamed.

He must be the only assistant manager in history who results seemed to have been blamed on at the same status as a manager. Any other assistant manager wouldn't have any blame on them, in fact they'd probably be touted as a replacement for a sacked manager.

It's also supposedly for family reasons as well.

Let me tell you a story about a man called Mike Phelan.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This doesn't make any sense. Surely the management would be the exact people you'd fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You'd swear Villa were in flying form before Keano came in as assistant. Lambert has been lucky to be in the job for as long as he has. Besides, Keane did seem to have an immediate effect in the first few games of the season (had one of the best defenses and were in top 4). If anything they reverted back to the type that has been there since McLeish's days, and that Lambert has failed spectacularly to address.

There are many things wrong with Villa, but Keane wasn't one of them. Of course, any other assistant besides Roy, the whole narrative would be he made the right choice, it's a sinking ship etc. But with Roy it's somehow all his fault, and the manager is entirely blameless. Comes with the territory with being the most divisive character in Irish sport though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

You have to wonder is this coming off the back of his comments about Jack Grealish's dad and the players at Everton.

Certainly more to it that concentrating on his role with Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

RoryMac wrote: »
    Certainly more to it that concentrating on his role with Ireland

Agreed. Can't believe anyone would swallow that line. He's been touting himself for various other jobs since he got his foot in the door with the FAI. But now all of a sudden he wants give it his full attention? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm a villa fan I know but let me play devils advocate for a moment... Are villa really doing that bad? If anything I'd say they are doing better than expected given the fixture list.

Hull, Stoke & Newcastle - okay Villa haven't been great for a while but these teams are beatable. 2 draws and a win is the kinda results I'd say most expected from the first 3 so 5pts... They got 7

Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal - maybe people would have said 1 point but I think most predicted 0... They got 3

QPR, Everton & Man City - I'd say most would a said a win vs QPR was possible but not to expect more than 3.. They got 0

Spurs, West ham & Southampton - given the form of Southampton and the hammers when played not to mention villas I'd say a couple of draws so 2pts is all most would expect...they got 2pts

Of course blaming the assistant manager or praising him for results is a stretch either way imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement