Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane leaves Aston Villa

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

The man has a tendency to walk away from things if things aren't going perfectly for him. Don't see what the big inquisition here is, it's no mystery with Keane. I'd say it was family reasons or some such.

This tendency will affect his stock in any aspiration to get a bigger job. What chairman worth their salt will want to hire someone who has previous of quitting at the drop of a hat?

Can't seem to stick a job for too long.

Drama Queen tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Good arguments on both sides about how much blame Roy should take for Villa's state and how this will affect his future ability to get jobs.

I think we can all agree that Villa are truly hopeless though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You'd swear Villa were in flying form before Keano came in as assistant. Lambert has been lucky to be in the job for as long as he has. Besides, Keane did seem to have an immediate effect in the first few games of the season (had one of the best defenses and were in top 4). If anything they reverted back to the type that has been there since McLeish's days, and that Lambert has failed spectacularly to address.

There are many things wrong with Villa, but Keane wasn't one of them. Of course, any other assistant besides Roy, the whole narrative would be he made the right choice, it's a sinking ship etc. But with Roy it's somehow all his fault, and the manager is entirely blameless. Comes with the territory with being the most divisive character in Irish sport though

I couldn't care less what Keane does, but to apportion praise on him for doing well for the first 4 games, and to absolve him from blame for their poor form since is bogus IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Maybe this is more to do with he dig at Jack G and his father, definately a conflict of interest there.

But now all of a sudden he wants give it his full attention? :pac:

When we had big games coming up he could divide his time between club and country and also tirelessly promote his book.

But now we are in a quiet time he has to devote his full attention to the national job.

You have to laugh. It's such a lame line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Its family reason's he hinted at it last month when speaking at a benefit due, he didn't want to uproot the kids, schools, friends all that type of stuff we take for granted. He keeps his family life very private, couldn't tell you what his wife or kids look like, which is a great thing.

Can't be to harsh on him for putting his wife and kids first, any decent man should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There are 2 rumours floating around on the Villa forums

1. Uncorroborated and no good sources. He had a bust up with some senior Villa players in training during the week.

2. From a fairly good source for Villa news. He asked to leave for personal reasons and offered to stay until Villa had someone new in but was told it was ok to go now.

Given that the source on the second one is fairly good and was on the ball with why Karsa and Culverhouse left last year, I'd be fairly sure he's correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think Keane has found it very hard to stay in a job that's tough. He had so much glory with United that he needs it and is unable to tough it out. Just look at it, he was on a high with Sunderland because of the initial success, when it got moderately hard he left.

Ipswich obviously didn't suit because they were too average and it ended.

Villa aren't really going anywhere and I dint think Roy can take it. He can't handle guys like big Sam or Alan pardew getting the better of a team he is involved with. His ego is so big that he sees these guys as beneath him. He can't seperate his great playing career from his average managerial one and probably thinks he should have been offered the United job.

You could say it happened while he was playing too. At Celtic, when he was a shadow of what he used to be he struggled as he knew that at his best he would have waltzed through the opposition.

For all the talk about how mentally strong Keane was as a player it looks like he doesn't have the same mental toughness needed for management and doesn't seem to want to pay his dues .

Can see him walking away from Ireland if we don't qualify for the euros unless he's offered the managers job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

tastyt wrote: »
    I think Keane has found it very hard to stay in a job that's tough. He had so much glory with United that he needs it and is unable to tough it out. Just look at it, he was on a high with Sunderland because of the initial success, when it got moderately hard he left.

People have short memories,it was pretty tough when he took over at Sunderland (second from bottom only won one game) to League champions, then kept them up the following season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Corholio wrote: »
    I love how lot's of people seemed to think that because Villa suddenly weren't winning lots of matches that it's Keane's fault. .

Suddenly? Its been a few years since Villa were winning lots of matches.

tossy wrote: »
    People have short memories,it was pretty tough when he took over at Sunderland (second from bottom only won one game) to League champions, then kept them up the following season :)

Yes but what I mean was it wasn't tough for him, he didn't endure the losses or relegation that came before that. And to be honest it was the perfect time to take over, big club, loadsa money to spend in that division and had just got relegated so had premier league quality players. The only way was up.

Don't get me wrong he still did a great job that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Suddenly? Its been a few years since Villa were winning lots of matches.

Compared to the very early part of the season. But you knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I'm just going by his last book (which I admit could be rubbish/bias :)), that wasn't what happened at all though? I dunno maybe you've other more reliable sources. I'd be interested in reading them, thanks.

symbolic wrote: »
    I'm just going by his last book (which I admit could be rubbish/bias :)), that wasn't what happened at all though? I dunno maybe you've other more reliable sources. I'd be interested in reading them, thanks.

Sorry I haven't I had a chance to read the new book, what part did he say didn't happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

No way should a club ever look to appoint him again. If it doesn't work out he seems to throw the towel in fairly quickly. His behaviour seems very erratic the last few years. I was thinking this morning when word broke that fergie must have been flat out keeping him in line over the years. Good job keane was so good as i'd say he would have been shipped fairly sharpish if not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Can't balance the two jobs? Yeah I guess the one Ireland game between now and the end of the season is proving too much for him. Nothing to do with the fact that they aren't performing very well.

Sorry I haven't I had a chance to read the new book, what part did he say didn't happen?

"The media reports said I'd left, I'd walked, I'd resigned. But I didn't resign." - Keane's Biography.

I actually don't remember the media reports myself. But did the club come out and say he left when it got tough or something?

"It still saddens me. I still think I should be the manager of Sunderland. I really liked the club, and I liked the people."

"The media reports said I'd left, I'd walked, I'd resigned. But I didn't resign." - Keane's Biography.

I actually don't remember the media reports myself. But did the club come out and say he left when it got tough or something?

"It still saddens me. I still think I should be the manager of Sunderland. I really liked the club, and I liked the people."

Well it was widely reported that he resigned by text and niall Quinn confirmed it at the time. Did Keane sag he got the sack in his book??

Well it was widely reported that he resigned by text and niall Quinn confirmed it at the time. Did Keane sag he got the sack in his book??

I must read up on what Niall said, be interesting. Any links to articles / interviews from the time?

I'd have to read the chapter again, he doesn't say he got sacked either I spose, and there was texts but it defo doesn't come across as it got tough and he left, if you know why I mean (forced out? Stand in replacement ready.) , but again who to believe? Although no reason for Quinn to say he resigned by text if he didn't.

It was some kind of falling out with Ellis Short, but wasn't a Keane wanted to get out of Sunderland because it was tough.. He seems to have wanted to stay on.

• Advertisement

...but again who to believe...

I'd say Roy will get his version straight by the 4th or 5th bout of self justification autobiography

I'd say Roy will get his version straight by the 4th or 5th bout of self justification autobiography

Haha yeah I suppose it comes down to preconceived beliefs then as we don't have access to the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't think Keanes cut out for football management, he's full of sh!t, likes being a media whore too much and doesn't want to do any hard work.

Great player is his day, now he's only good for hilariously ridiculous sound bites, please go away Roy!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    doesn't want to do any hard work.

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

he was on a high with Sunderland because of the initial success, when it got moderately hard he left.

No, he didn't. He kept us in the Premier League. Things were far more than moderately hard for the vast majority of the 2007/2008 season.

Weird seeing Roy Keane walk away from something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yes but what I mean was it wasn't tough for him, he didn't endure the losses or relegation that came before that. And to be honest it was the perfect time to take over, big club, loadsa money to spend in that division and had just got relegated so had premier league quality players. The only way was up.

Don't get me wrong he still did a great job that season.

Good Lord. Talk about twisting things to suit your argument.

The club had just been relegated with a then record lowest points total in the history of the Premier League. To say the squad had Premier League quality players is utter insanity. If that was the case, we wouldn't have been relegated so embarrassingly. It actually looked like the only way was down, and I don't know a Sunderland fan who expected anything more than a mid-table finish when Keane came in that season and that was if we were lucky!

Here's a post I made before re: Keane's spending:
    From what I can find, spending in the year we went up in order of final league position was:

1) Sunderland £9.5m
    2) Birmingham £14m

3) Derby £6.5m
    4) West Brom £3m
    5) Wolves £1.5m
    6) Southampton £6.1m

7) Preston (can't find any info)
    8) Stoke £1.75m
    9) Sheffield Wednesday £500,000
    10) Colchester £0m

Notable others:

13) Crystal Palace £4.2m
    17) Coventry £3.1m

If it makes any difference, from what I have viewed, Sunderland were also the highest recipients of incoming money from selling players in the Championship that year too, with slightly over £8m coming in from sales.

Spending money isn't the only thing necessary, as I'm sure teams like Leicester, Sheffield United and Charlton would be quick to point out. Keane came in and turned a club who had been the laughing stock of football a few months previously getting relegated with a record low points total, into Championship winners. I don't think people actually realise how bad a state the club was in when he came in. There was about three or four out of the squad who wanted to be there and the rest wanted out, many not even bothering to turn up to training any more. He gave the whole city a lift and gave supporters belief in their team once more. Ask any Sunderland fan what their favourite season following Sunderland has been in the last 10 years and they will all, to a man, say Keane's Championship season. His impact just cannot be overstated. Look at this run we went on from early November onwards below, I can't imagine there's too many teams who have done similar to that in such a tough division.

2cf2296e15674b19e2e85db9f59c048f.png

I could go on all day about things I didn't/don't like about Keane as a manager or his faults or whatever, and believe me there's many. But it really annoys me when people say the only reason he achieved relative success with us was because of money. What he did with us considering the state we were in before he arrived was miraculous.

Keane might be a lot of things, but trying to belittle his achievement in getting Sunderland promoted as Championship winners that year is just ridiculous.

Paully D wrote: »
    Good Lord. Talk about twisting things to suit your argument.

The club had just been relegated with a then record lowest points total in the history of the Premier League. To say the squad had Premier League quality players is utter insanity. If that was the case, we wouldn't have been relegated so embarrassingly. It actually looked like the only way was down, and I don't know a Sunderland fan who expected anything more than a mid-table finish when Keane came in that season and that was if we were lucky!

Here's a post I made before re: Keane's spending:

Keane might be a lot of things, but trying to belittle his achievement in getting Sunderland promoted as Championship winners that year is just ridiculous.

As I said in the sentence directly underneath the part you bolded he did a very good job that season, but you chose to ignore that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

B5F0n2dCUAAoSvN.jpg

Funny stuff if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

nuxxx wrote: »
    Funny stuff if true
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

If you de-tabloidise it it basically says that Keane and Cleverly live very close to each other. Keane called round and rang the bell. There was no answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Keane blames someone else for his failings? Impossible, I refuse to believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Roy is so annoyed at a report that he had a bust-up with the players ....

...that he goes and has a bust-up with a player???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If having a bust up means ringing somebodies door bell and nobody answering the door, I have a new found respect for my neighbour. He's a door to door salesman and must have 200 bust ups a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Kirby wrote: »
    If having a bust up means ringing somebodies door bell and nobody answering the door, I have a new found respect for my neighbour. He's a door to door salesman and must have 200 bust ups a day!

Ha ha English tabloid sensationalism at its best

Advertisement