Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning a cocker spaniels ears

• 28-11-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have noticed my cocker is scratching a lot the last week or so and shaking her head. I thought it might be fleas or a skin complaint but I think now that it might be her ears. There is a bit of a fusty smell coming from them. I've never had to clean her ears in 8 years of owning her! Could it be an infection? Should I take her to the vet, or is there a way of cleaning first to see if that helps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If they smell weird it is likely an infection, it's ideal not wait and hope for the best when it comes to infections. Go to the vet.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

It sounds like she has an ear infection. Get her down to the vets as soon as you can to stop it going further into the ear- you're better off catching it as early as possible. My own cocker gets them sometimes, especially now that she's getting older, and the vet gives us ear drops to be put in. Don't try and clean them yourself, I'd imagine it'd be quite easy to make the problem worse if you don't know what you're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have noticed my cocker is scratching a lot the last week or so and shaking her head. I thought it might be fleas or a skin complaint but I think now that it might be her ears. There is a bit of a fusty smell coming from them. I've never had to clean her ears in 8 years of owning her! Could it be an infection? Should I take her to the vet, or is there a way of cleaning first to see if that helps?

Def sounds like an ear infection, a trip the vets is required in this case... hope she feels better soon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Personally I'd try cleaning them first? One of mine gets mucky ears and with her its just wax that has built up and is a bit smelly. You can buy ear wash from the vets/pet shop or I just use a wipe to clean them out because she doesn't like the ear wash all. You'll know soon enough when you clean them if they look inflamed or infected. Coconut oil is great for keeping them clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

tk123 wrote: »
    Personally I'd try cleaning them first? One of mine gets mucky ears and with her its just wax that has built up and is a bit smelly. You can buy ear wash from the vets/pet shop or I just use a wipe to clean them out because she doesn't like the ear wash all. You'll know soon enough when you clean them if they look inflamed or infected. Coconut oil is great for keeping them clean

I wouldn't mess about at all in the case of spaniels though, tbh. They are so prone to those infections, and I've seen too many go horribly wrong, back in my vet nursing days. I'd go to the vet, and then once she's been checked out, and it sounds most likely treated for infection in this case, then keep up a regular cleaning routine for them after that, to prevent any recurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks guys, I took her to the vet yesterday, no infection thankfully, just a mild case of mites, so she's on ear drops. He said there might be some residue from the mites, how should I clean that, just water and cotton wool or should I add something to the water.

Advertisement